**ucb waitlist discussion for class of 2024**

Nothing for me

checking cc has been so toxic for me
 I hope they’ll also do rejections when the next wave comes out so I wont have to be stuck in this anxious cycle of checking CC/a2c to see if someone got an update

I feel that. Best of luck to everyone! OOS L&S crossing my fingers.

Today, the UC Education Abroad Program canceled all programs (for every campus). I don’t think the Global Edge is part of UCEAP, but it almost assuredly means that it will be affected too. Who knows how that will affect the WL. It is possible that :

1. They keep the program and do some kind of virtual classes with the school in London. That option sounds pretty horrible if you’ve already selected Global Edge.
    2)They cancel the program and eliminate those spots, thereby minimizing the number of people allowed off of the WL.
  2. They cancel the program and transition those spots to Traditional spots. I think this is the most likely scenario. There aren’t that many spots and it would be easy to fold them into the rest of campus. Plus it would be a extra bonus to those admitted from the WL in what will most likely be the final wave.

@scambro, If they cancel the program and transition those spots to Traditional spots,would be a gift for students who are waiting in traditional pool for past 2 months with unbearable pain.

@ucb797 absolutely.

They have to fill those 65 GE spots. That is a potential loss of more than $2 Million a year, assuming all students pay full tuition.

Their actual loss would be way less than $2 million a year. Contrary to popular belief, public schools make little to no “profit.” It is my understanding (based on looking at their financial reports) that UC Berkeley makes a negligible amount of profit (or is actually in the red. In addition, some 60-70% will receive some form of direct scholarships/grants from UC Berkeley.

So, no, they don’t have to fill those 65 GE spots and it would make only a minuscule impact on total admissions data (for context: Berkeley enrolled 6454 freshmen in Fall 2019).

If they do collapse GE to traditional pathway, do you think they will consider people who didn’t select GE?

@inquisitivehuman yes all public schools and most big private schools are nonprofits. So in theory, they make zero “profit”. UCB has a $3 billion annual budget. The budget revenue is supported primarily by tuition and fees from enrolled students. This year, you can bet that the budget revenue from the state will be smaller than the regularly allocated amount, so it is in Berkeley’s best interest to receive tuition from as many qualified students as they can accommodate. Thousands of students receive aid, but not all of that aid comes directly from the school. Much of it, from federal or private grants, goes TO the school.

All that being said, Global Edge (and FPF for that matter) are really just glorified Spring admission pathways. They are a way for the school to fill spots in the spring that are left by the freshman that leave after one semester, AND they can generate revenue in process. With Global Edge going away, they probably can’t get that Fall money from them, but they could easily offer 65 add’l spring enrollment spots.

So do we think today is the day they send out final acceptances and rejections? I emailed them a few days ago and got this:

“We appreciate your continued interest to attend UC Berkeley. All students on the waitlist will be notified of a final decision by early June.”

I just wanna know already.

This might sound strange but I want cal to take longer to release for me cuz I’m to nervous to see a decision lol (not ready to see a denial in eng) hopefully we can be spared

In the final round of the waitlist - is it always rejections? Because if they will tell us all by June then that scares me to think that its all rejections

So is there definitely a round coming today?

@griffen14 hopefully!

Any glitches anyone??

no glitches

If u emailed ur Ao just know it did absolutely nothing. My UCLA AO said that AO’s arent directly involved in the waitlist process and we can’t do anything but wait. I’m assuming it’s the same for Berk cuz UCs follow similar protocol.

glitches anyone? really hope it’s today. did anyone call/tweet/have insider info?

@harrisonfedor no glitches. however, chances are that the wave is so small that even if someone did have a glitch they might not be in this forum. The rest of us probably didnt get in:(