**ucb waitlist discussion for class of 2024**

I hope they won’t care about Semester 2 Grades especially where most of our Semester 2 was heavily effected by current COVID 19 situation. According to what I see from this thread, I will be fine with GPA Requirements for Semester 1, but not Semester 2. My Semester 2 was terrible and though I will pass all the classes, I might not be able to meet the GPA requirement especially where I had like few tests/assignments (due to COVID 19) that determines my Semester 2 Grade. I hope they only care about GPA Requirement for Semester 1 and just care about pass/fail for Semester 2.

They are not going to activate their wait list before May 1. The in state student acceptances, so far, are only down 1.5%. The international acceptances, so far, are down 70%. They are going to balance the drastic international decline by going to the wait list for domestic OOS students first. They did not accept a greater number of students in anticipation of COVID.

Further, they anticipate less that there is less than 30% change that students will be on campus this fall.

@jaffa1 where did you get the 70% and 1.5% data from?

This percentage refers to the number of students they accepted to UCB or the number of students that were accepting but are not enrolling? Also, where is this data from??

A UC Regent.

damn if these stats are truly accurate im gonna be too hype.

that seems like quite a big dip in international enrollment. as seen on this thread, many internationals have stated that they and their friends are still committed to studying abroad, and since Berkeley is seen as an extremely prestigious school globally, it doesn’t make sense that there is that large of a decrease.

Well…If that’s true then it’s good news for everybody. But even if it’s not true, I definitely don’t think the acceptance rate for the waitlist will go down. There are so many reasons why the acceptance rate will most likely be higher this year, and Berkeley’s average acceptance rate is already pretty high. I think that most of us will be getting good news.

Last year, was the May 7 wave mainly OOS or was it both in-state and OOS? We’re so close! Just a home stretch to May.

Wait, so will there be also higher chance for international students as well?

i wanna say it was both.

They are making a significantly huge effort (virtually) to keep first generation and underrepresented accepted students in the fold–their research shows that these students, unlike others, if allowed to take gap years/enroll in local colleges are much less likely to ultimately enroll. I did not ask the question whether they would overenroll right now from the wait list (because, obviously, many accepted students will not show up in Fall).

The takeaway: if you are OOS, you are getting in. And if you are in-state, there is a better chance than in years past that you’re getting in,.

Unfortunately, next year, for the class of 2025, it’s going to be much more difficult–that group of HS seniors will have to compete with an expanded applicant pool that includes many (especially international) gap year applicants.

@homosapiens It’s hard to tell because I was reading last year’s waitlist thread, and during the first wave of acceptances on May 7, lots of people were saying that they got accepted but weren’t clarifying whether they were in state or out of state. Out of those who specified, I counted 4 OOS/international and 6 in-state…but these numbers are too low to infer anything from them. But this is a quote from someone on the thread: “Guys I did a strawpoll on my reddit post asking if people who got in off of the waitlist were in state or out of state. It seems like a pretty close 50/50 split.”

It was mostly L&S admits for both in-state and OOS, but I also saw a CNR admit from OOS and an EECS admit from OOS.

Actually some people on last year’s thread are saying that during the first wave, OOS students were mostly getting off the waitlist from CoE, CoC, and CNR and In-state was mostly L&S. Who knows. This is all so random hahaha I need to stop overthinking it.

how many waves are there in the first place that they release these decisions. Are all oos decisions released in one wave or do they come out throughout other waves?

It seems like there are higher chances for OOS? Will international students also have higher chances as well?

According to last year’s thread, it seems like there were 2 main waves: one in May 7th and another one in May 16th. But there might have been small waves between them and after them.

Last year, the first wave was the biggest (May 7th), the next wave was smaller (May 16th), and they sent out rejections around the end of May. But same I’m not sure if there were small waves in between but it’s definitely possible.

@jaffa1 do you think that first generation waitlisters will disproportionately benefit due to their efforts? Also, when you say in staters have a better chance than previous years, do you mean a better change than last year(~25 percent chance) or do you mean possibly even better than the 3 previous years before that. (~50 percent chance)?