**ucb waitlist discussion for class of 2024**

What are the chances for wait list candidates this year for 2020 Fall admissions at UCB? Also since May 1st Deadline passed, any idea when the wait listed candidates know whether they are selected or not?

@rpuranam Have a look at the 899 previous messages. Your questions are basically the title of this thread.

@jaffa1

not sure if this has been answered, and apologies if it has, but did you recieve any idea/ notification from the regent whether there was any dramatic change to the yield percentages you gave a couple days before May 1 on during the last couple of days (April 30 and May 1)?

Since you had mentioned that the regent had later informed you that decisions would be made towards the end of this week, I was wondering if they had shared anything with you?

Thanks for all your input and apologies if this was already answered!

We are close to beating last yearā€™s UCB waitlist thread, it was only 47 pages.
Keep it up gang!

I accidentally chose fpf because I though it is traditional pathway. Now it seems too late to make a change. Does that mean they will not consider offering me traditional pathway at all?

@Student11223311

yeah, with all our speculation abt COVID, and discussion of other collegeā€™s waitlist strategies, that;s not unexpected lol

It seems that FPF is a good program for humanities students. Humanities are to be studied in small groups of people. Hopefully kids can get a good education in this program.

nothing changes on mine

Even if you do get in for FPF it is only for one semester. You can choose whatever you want to major in after that in L&S right?

I guess so.

i hope they release some decisions tomorrowā€¦ however it seems unlikely ?also, does anyone know how many CNR applicants got off of the waitlist in recent years?

my son OOS got off waitlist of UCLA pre-econ, may still want to see if same for UCB.

thanks for the insight! also, did you opt-in for FPF when you were opting-in to the waitlist? or did you opt-in to the waitlist as a regular admit with no programs?

Hey guys!

I have been an inactive participant of this discussion, since it was created by @Gumbymom . (Believe me, Iā€™ve read all of the 912 comments posted till now :smile: ) Iā€™d just liked to clear some of the misconceptions regarding the pathways available to L&S applicants. (I may be wrong too. Please correct me if I am)

This is whatā€™s written on the portal - "Depending on space available, students selected from the wait list may have limited enrollment pathways, which may be different from a student offered admission earlier in the admissions cycle. For example, applicants to the College of Letters and Science and the College of Natural Resources may receive an offer that comes in the form of an offer to join Fall Program for Freshman or the Global Edge London program to start their Berkeley career. Depending upon available space, one or both of these programs may be your only enrollment pathway option(s) if you are admitted from the wait list. "

So basically, L&S waitlist applicants will not be offered the traditional pathway. They will instead have to choose from FPF or Global Edge (and/or any other option if available). I selected the FPF pathway for this very purpose. I think it helps them decide which one of these pathways to offer you upon acceptance. It shouldnā€™t affect your chances of admission as it only serves to take into account your choice.

Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong. This was just my interpretation.
Btw, Iā€™m an international applicant to L&S.

@kash123 Yes, you can declare whatever major you want. FPF just helps you finish your L&S breadth courses early on, so you can tackle your lower division courses in the spring semester. FPF is not detrimental in any way. In fact, it may help you establish close connections with professors due to the small class sizes. After the fall sem, you will be in the same train as all other L&S students.

@Tomson123 You will not be considered for the traditional pathway either way (If you are an L&S or CNR applicant)

Quoting the offer letter - "Please note that an offer of admission from the wait list may come in the form of an offer to join Fall Program for Freshman program, where you will start in a small, collaborative learning community in your first semester, or the Global Edge program where you will start taking courses over the Summer and then take courses in London for the Fall semester. Depending upon available space, one or both of these programs may be your only enrollment pathway option(s) if you are admitted from the wait list. "

@brownboy17 I donā€™t think this is correct. The key word from that quote is ā€œMAYā€, some student MAY be given that choice. As we can tell by numbers, UCB is in need of students and thereā€™s no way none of them will be offered the traditional pathway. I asked previous students and they said a majority of letters and science students they knew on the waitlist were offered the traditional pathway, they just offer those options once they run out of space for the traditional pathway. Additionally, there was the option to not select either of those options, meaning that itā€™s possible not to be even considered for them.

Also the only reason they state Letters and Science students, is because only these students are given those options (again only options to select those programs) because students in engineering and other programs usually will have issues completing pre reqs with those programs, or their classes arenā€™t offered.

@jaffa1 and @scrambro - Thanks for all the info guys. It really has helped clarify a lot of doubts.
Look forward to seeing you all at Berkeley (provided we get in :smiley: ). I still feel my chances of getting in are on the lower side. I hope the fact that Iā€™m an international student doesnā€™t hurt my chances.
Do any of you have stats/info on the situation for international waitlist applicants (and how it possibly weighs on the decision making process).

Iā€™ve been checking out the official Facebook pages for Calā€™s Class of 2024 (which there are two) and both have had drops in members over the last week. In fact, the bigger group had around 5.2k-5.3k members last week, but this morning, that number is around 4.8k. The smaller group has even had a drop of 50 members since Saturday. I have an inkling that many people who were initially accepted to Cal have since opted to enroll elsewhere. Iā€™m going to go out on a limb now and say that roughly 2/3 - 3/4 of the people on the waitlist this year are going to be offered a spot.