UCD/I/SB vs. Cal Poly SLO

<p>Hi everyone,
I am wondering if I should bother applying to Cal Poly SLO tonight and if is on par with UCD/I/SB. I decided to post it here and see what you all think. UCD/I/SB are safety schools for me (I am an ELC student), so I was wondering if I should even bother with Cal Poly. I have heard mixed things from Cal Poly being more prestigious than somewhere like UCI/D/SB to being not as good, etc… My major is going to be Biology. Which of these four campuses is strongest in biology for an undergraduate??</p>

<p>PS: I already sent in my UC apps. The Poly app is done, just not sent in. Just wondering if it is worth the roughly $70 bucks it will cost (including sending the SAT/ACT scores).</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Davis has an excellent biology program and is well-known for its top-notch research. I can't speak to SB and Irvine.</p>

<p>Cal Poly SLO is the cream of the CSU crop. It emphasizes hands on learning ("learning by doing"). It's also an undergraduate university, so there's no competition for professors' time between undergrads & grad students. </p>

<p>The philosophies are different between UCs and Cal States, so only you can say which environment you'd be most comfortable in. All of these colleges are "prestigious" although Cal Poly SLO isn't as well known outside of California. You'd get an excellent education no matter where you chose.</p>

<p>Having said all of that, don't apply to Cal Poly SLO if you don't think you'd attend.</p>

<p>My friend thinks it's on par, if not better than UCD/I/SB.</p>

<p>I know that Cal Poly SLO has a good engineering program.</p>

<p>Considering how CSUs are cutting back on enrollment of eligible students this year, it might be wise to not apply if it is not high on your priority list. Also, I haven't heard(this is from word of mouth) Cal Poly be good for anything else except for engineering, which is considered pretty top-notch.</p>