UCD or SDSU

In terms of campus and location, which school do you prefer?

I really like San Diego, however, I didn’t get into UCSD. My alternatives are UC Davis or San Diego State. I want to go somewhere that is academically strong but also somewhere that I can be happy at.

Is Davis as bad as people say? Good as people say? From what I heard, it’s a quiet town, with a portion of it smelling like cow doo doo. However, I think academics there is better.

I got into both as an electrical engineering major. Financial issues will not matter, as I have that taken care of for now.

So what do you think? Pros and cons of both please thanks! :slight_smile: (I’m from Sacramento so you know, I kind of wanna get out but I guess Davis isn’t too bad)

Bump!

I have one son at UCD and one son at SDSU. Both campuses are very different in “vibe”, academics and social scene. Have you visited either campus? Visiting is the best way to make that important decision.

Older son likes the small town feel at UCD. Loves to bike, finds the students are very friendly and prefers the low key social scene. Academically he has been very challenged, but knows that UCD is the best school for his major. The quarter system was a big shock at first, since you need to hit the ground running to keep up in your classes.

Younger son likes the bigger city feel at SDSU. He is a very social person, so SDSU fits him perfectly. He is always busy with friends, exploring SD and just getting the most out of his experience there. Academically he is finding SDSU pretty challenging but a little slower pace since SDSU is on semester system. He is in his second semester and he says compared to 1st semester, the workload has really increased but still loves it there.

If you have any other questions, do no hesitate to PM me. Good Luck with your decision.

Being from Sacramento, you’re a very quick drive away from UCD. Rather than accept what you’ve heard about the campus, go for a campus tour with your parents then have lunch in downtown Davis, then make up your own mind on the benefits of that university.

True, it is very close to home for you, and that may be what’s holding you back from considering going there. Academically, it’s a much stronger institution than SDSU.

Good luck with your choices.

On Davis, that depends. What bad things have you heard about it? What good things have you heard about it?

Visit both if you can (presumably that’d be easy for Davis, and also presumably you haven’t visited based on your post), and see which fits you better. For me, I much prefer a small town atmosphere to a big city atmosphere. Plus I’m from the Bay Area, putting Davis at the perfect distance where it’s far enough to be a completely new experience but close enough to still be close to family. Your circumstances are entirely unique though, and really you live close enough to Davis to where you should at least check out that campus before making a final decision.

@PhantomVirgo @Gumbymom @notalreadyinuse Thanks guys! I plan to visit both colleges during my spring break. Davis is about a 30 minute drive so I’ll make sure I visit it soon. Just wanted to see if there’s anything that I should know.

Just trying to be happy for the next 4 years of my life! lol!

@AchieveLife: Good Luck and both schools are great choices. You really cannot go wrong with either school and school “fit” will definitely make a difference on the 4 years you spend for Undergrad.