UCD vs Purdue vs UCSB?

<p>Well I am considering the three colleges in the title, but I am at crossroads at all three colleges. Each having there own weaknesses and strengths. Also, I plan on appealing to UCSD and I would choose that over the three. But, I wouldn’t mind going to these three if it does not pass.</p>

<p>I plan on majoring in Electrical, Chemical, or Bio Engineering (Right now in that order). I got into Purdue for Undecided within Engineering, Davis and SB for Undeclared Physical Sciences/ College of Letters and science. I applied for undeclared to not risk rejection, I have seen that major change can be done with the right classes and a maintained GPA, so I am not too worried about that. </p>

<p>Davis seems to be a nice college, right now I am favoring it, but still am not completely sure… Purdue has the Engineering prestige (#9 in the country), but I hear its very difficult and weeds people out. SB seems to be a nice engineering school as well. The thing about SB is that the party school nature of it actually makes me shaky because I want to stay concentrated in college. I want to have fun, but I do not want to go over the top. </p>

<p>Price is kind of an issue. My parents will pay for Purdue if I want to go, but I think it will be 10k more. I want to know if its that much better then the other two that I have to leave CA and go there.</p>

<p>I plan on going to Grad school, so essentially I want to pick the best school for Grad school. </p>

<p>I lived in/by Purdue when I was a child so I know the surroundings, I plan on visiting the other two in the coming weeks. </p>

<p>So, please CC, help me out? Thank You!</p>

<p>bump…</p>

<p>I f I was in your boat I would go with Davis, SB, Purdue. Davis has a better eng dept than sb( btw my roommates bro is a chem eng grad from there). Purdue is nice but the money is outrages. For Grad school it really doesnt matter it comes down to GPA</p>

<p>So, Davis Engineering > SB Engineering and for Grad school GPA matters more. Thank You for the info!</p>

<p>Keep it coming guys! I am going to be taking a lot of opinions before I decide. Right now I am favoring: Davis; Purdue; SB = 45;40;15. Wish I got SD, would have been easy choice. =/</p>

<p>Good luck with your SD appeal.
I wouldn’t mind either UCSB or UCD. The party scene won’t carry you away. I know people at UCSB who do not even party. Both campuses are very friendly. I think UCSB would have much better weather though. I’m currently at Davis, and weather is probably the only thing I do not like about that area. Other than that, I love the school.</p>

<p>If money was not an issue what would be the best choice. I want to consider this situation too. </p>

<p>As for Purdue, it seems to be ranked far above the 2 UC’s. Would I be passing up a good opportunity at a top ranked school If I were to choose Davis. Ultimately, would it matter for Grad School?</p>

<p>for grad schools you can go to CSUB hahaha its all about gpa and ECs</p>

<p>I’ve never seen CSUB ever mentioned on these forums. lol.</p>

<p>it just popped into my head haha. it was the lowest csu I could think of.</p>

<p>The Legend – Last year my son was faced with nearly the same situation as your situation (Purdue Engr OOS vs. UCD Engr). He chose UCD, loves it there and adjusted well to college life as a Freshman. As many of said before, chose the school you will be most successful (and happy) as a student and don’t worry about the ranking. Both schools are very good, and after you get your first job in engineering, no one cares where you graduated.</p>

<p>Thanks flyingforfun, I just visited Davis. It was pretty nice. I don’t know right now. But thanks for the info.</p>

<p>What does he say about their program and teachers?</p>

<p>The Legend – I asked him the same questions, and I get the standard “things are fine” response. He comes home infrequently, and when he does, he talks about his classes (with a little coaxing), which I view as a good sign. He and his advisor are on a first-name basis. And to my surprise, he is able to get the clases he needs as a Freshman. The classes are big, but he manages by going to the discussion groups and office hours. This will be the situation in either school. Good luck with your decision…you have some great choices.</p>

<p>csuci… thats prob the least known csu. Channel islands? what?</p>

<p>anyways i say UCD, its really nice, it is very serious, and you can still have fun there (doesnt sound like sb is the place for you, they party hearty). plus they have grad schools for everything.</p>

<p>UCSB>UCD>Purdue </p>

<p>For me UCSB will probably be the most unique experience :smiley: while Purdue may be the best for engineering but it costs alot out-of-state :(</p>

<p>csuci… thats prob the least known csu. Channel islands? what?"
I was going to say that but the girl i was trying to get with wants to go there</p>

<p>Is there some one that can give me detailed comparison on the three schools for Engineering?</p>

<p>I can show you the rankings for two engineering fields Civil and Mechanical</p>

<p>CIvil:
UCB: #1
UCLA: #24
UCSD: #18
UCD: #17
UCI: #24
UCSB: unranked
[US</a> Civil Engineering Ranking | World Ranking Guide](<a href=“http://worldranking.blogspot.com/2009/04/us-civil-engineering-ranking.html]US”>US Civil Engineering Ranking | World Ranking Guide)</p>

<p>Mechanical
UCB: #3
UCLA: #11
UCSD: #23
UCSD: #32
UCI: #32
UCSB: #27</p>

<p>[Latest</a> University Rankings: US Mechanical Engineering Ranking 2010](<a href=“http://latestuniversityranking.blogspot.com/2010/03/us-mechanical-engineering-ranking-2010.html]Latest”>http://latestuniversityranking.blogspot.com/2010/03/us-mechanical-engineering-ranking-2010.html)</p>

<p>Then there’s chemical and computer engineering, but honestly Civil and Mechanical are the most indicative of how prestigious the school’s engineering program is. I think you have the right idea of appealing to UCSD.</p>

<p>^Thanks. </p>

<p>Any others please?</p>

<p>Also, a question: Does it matter when I submit my SIR, for housing and stuff? I plan on submitting my appeal to SD sometime this week and I don’t want to choose till I get my appeal decision.</p>

<p>well from what I ve heard you dont hear back from the appeal broad till a week before school, well for UCI.</p>