UCD vs UCI vs Purdue for CS - all OOS

Software Engineering.

At Purdue, you can do CS. Some might choose the SWE route or the more theoretical CS path. You can also major in AI or Data Science. So, not generic SWE by any stretch.

I appreciate you clarifying that! I read SWE as Society of Women Engineers and couldn’t figure out how it pertained to the OP ; )

1 Like

You could be a SWE in SWE :rofl:

We usually refer to it as SE, but many use SWE.

I didn’t mean it as a negative, and I replied before I knew which UCs the OP had admits to. I meant that if the goal is SWE, then no reason to take on the extra 20k/yr. There are some high entry-barrier careers such as Quant to which Cal can provide greater access. In that regard, I don’t think UCI or UCD can afford any advantage, either.

1 Like

Of course! And I know next to nothing about UCI other than reputation :slight_smile:

Your student will make their own opportunities no matter where they go to school. If it’s important to be closer to home, your decision is made.

1 Like

Even if admitted to Cal or UCLA I would recommend Purdue over the other two. UCs are just not worth the cost for OOS students. They’re over crowded and under resourced (plus Cal has issues with housing, homelessness impacting campus life, etc). Not worth paying $70k+.

Purdue has a great CS program and their grads place very well in the industry. For ~45k/year - hard to pick a UC over Purdue, IMO.

3 Likes

UCI is a good choice for CS particularly if game design is of interest. Orange County has a lot of tech start-ups that provide opportunities for internships. I don’t know much about CS at UC Davis. Purdue is a great option too. One of my daughter’s friends that went to Purdue had issues with housing as a freshman, but I think it was a year that they over enrolled. I’d check just to be sure. Purdue is a greater value for out-of-state students but is farther from the west coast. Pluses and minuses!!! Good luck deciding. No in-state options to consider?

1 Like

Have some. But these 2 seems to be the best as of now, apart from waitlisted for direct CS admit at UW Seattle.

1 Like

That’s the “we have a a winner!” choice if fortunate enough for direct admit.

Out of curiosity, did he apply to Cal Poly? That’s a fairly popular choice with WA students. It’s less than the UCs too, but now with the opportunity grant charge, the gap is closing.

I’m in agreement with @DadOfJerseyGirl. The UCs from OOS aren’t ideal.

1 Like

Given that you are a resident of Washington state, what happened with U.Washington, Washington State, and any WICHE/WUE schools?

No he didn’t apply to Cal Poly. Keeping fingers crossed for CS at UW. Apart from tuition for OOS do you have any other reasons for UCs not being ideal? They are still at West coast :). As someone said above that UCI has many tech start ups around Orange County area which Purdue wont have. It will be always big shots for Purdue and what if student is not able to crack big shot companies but is capable of cracking internships at small start ups but still technical. I am myself a software Engineer by profession and believe that career should start with small companies as you get to learn more there rather than working for big companies where you don’t get to learn more or be more hands on.

Got in. But will only choose UW Seattle direct admit to CS over UCs and Purdue. Got prescience there.

1 Like

So another poster today was comparing Purdue vs. UCI. Also from Washington - but did not ask about Davis.

I had previously noted that yes, UCI is near an airport for, as they said, weekend trips home. And yes the weather will be better.

But I also noted - and it’s my opinion - the UCs outside of the big two - are not as well known - they are more regional - whereas Purdue is a household name. I don’t think it matters in CS.

And I also pointed out and it’s been a long time but when I went to HS in So Cal, UCI was a suitcase school and many on here say it still is. Given its location, I can see why that is.

So finally, I looked to outcomes - and just as I had predicted - UCI is more regional with placing 10+ in two states - California and Washigton - and no more than two in other states - whereas Purdue had 35% out West and then 30+% in the midwest.

You can see my response below - and maybe the links will help you:

**Purdue might be a little older data - but more are employed, less showed in school and less looking. They placed 38% out west - hence i was saying it’s more a nationally known name - whereas UCI is as I noted, more regional. The UCs - outside the top two - may be high ranked but aren’t known.

**If you look at just the West, their average and median salaries are about $20K higher than UCI - $110-ish (a few years ago). But again, they might calculate it differently - i.e include sign on bonuses or performance bonsues. You’d have to ask.

Ultimately, you need to decide what’s best for you - you can ask and you’ll continue to get the same responses - yes, you can go home on a weekend, etc. from Irvine easier than Indiana.

Good luck.

Edit - it’s old data but adding the link for UCD - it’s not as detailed - at least in regards to salary info and the data isn’t recent.

University of California Irvine FDS Career Outcomes 2021 | Tableau Public

Placement - Department of Computer Science - Purdue University

Majors Data | Internship and Career Center (ucdavis.edu)

1 Like

The classes are large and they rely on TAs for labs and discussions.

I’ll send you a PM.

1 Like

He will be fine in Purdue. Often interviews at startups can be harder to crack than interviews at big tech. It is fair though that you may find it easier to interview at startups from california schools simply because you can drive up for the day 

2 Likes

Interesting article on Forbes. Start ups, including lots of fintech, are having funding pulled, merging, or going out. Sort of a consolidation. The VCs are done for now it appears. No longer can they afford to spend endless sums that go into a black hole.

All these things go in cycles. Four years, by the time the current student graduates, is a long time.

3 Likes

This is true in large part because startups (the good ones at least) are so lean. They just don’t have the manpower to train. As a result, they tend to rely on employees vetted in previous jobs.

4 Likes

Yep it’ll be the next huge idea.

I do worry though that everyone makes decisions based on the strong economy we’ve had for many years and the markets being high. What if they falter?

I wish people would plan for the just in case or we’ll see many kids potentially having to change schools.

This is one of the reasons I have paid a bit more attention to reputation and rankings this cycle. As the economy tightens, there is no tide to lift all boats and rankings/reputation/prestige will start making greater difference than they otherwise would in a bullish economy.

In OPs case, of the 3 options, Purdue not only has the best ranked CS program, it also offers significant $ advantages.

2 Likes