UCD vs UCSC (Class of 2023)

Hi! I’m a senior at my high school and an International student. I got accepted into UCSC (30k/ 4 years scholarship) for Marine Biology and UCD for Fisheries, Wildlife and Conservation Biology. both majors are great for me and I don’t prefer one over the other so I’m facing a dilemma as to which college I should accept (Due May 1). Here are some things I’ve considered:

UCD:

• According to my PERSONAL research, it’s more academically reputable and resourceful (If you have primary information that considers otherwise, please tell me in the discussion!)
  • I hear they have better housing
  • Bigger on college sports (specifically basketball?) = Better school spirit

UCSC:

• As an individual, I much prefer living in Santa Cruz. I’ve visited both campuses and prefer UCSC much better.
  • Close proximity to the beach (I am a MAJOR beach girl)
  • The campus was beautiful, surrounded by redwoods and all
  • With relations to my major (Marine Biology), being close to the Pacific is definitely a big plus for me

I didn’t end up finishing the post before posting it but:
Please help me pick a college! I need to make the decision soon to get my first choice housing. Anything helps! Thank you :smile:

Based on your post, I would say you would be a Happier Student at UCSC. Happy students=Successful students.

Although I love UC Davis and had a son attend, UCSC sounds like the best choice for you and this will be a commitment for 4 years, so go with your gut.

Good luck with your decision.

A $30K scholarship is significant. Congratulations!

The layout of the campuses can’t be more different. UCSC has the smaller colleges/communities with no central quad or plaza. If you like the 10 college system at UCSC, that is a huge plus.

UCD has great academics, professors and classes but their marine institute is at Bodega Bay which is 1.5 hrs away from campus. Considering the scholarship, your major and that you are a “MAJOR beach girl” I think UCSC is probably the better choice.

Congrats!
follow your heart and go to UCSC

Good luck