UCD vs UCSC? How's UCSC's Health Science compare to UC Davis' Biomedical Engineering?

<p>I got accepted to both UCD and UCSC but I am struggling about which one I should go. So here is what I’ve heard about them:</p>

<p>UCD has a better reputation and a higher rank; but what I heard is that it’s located in the middle of the country so it’s not that fun. This is my dream school just because of its reputation. However, all my friends got rejected and only me got in. </p>

<p>For UCSC, I heard it’s a “party school” with a lot of hippies. I actually don’t really care about this because I believe if you really study hard then you’ll still be fine. All my friends got in and I got in, too. So we can rent a house together. It’s very liberal and a more laid-back life style. Tutition and dorms are cheaper than UC Davis. More fun things to do, better social life.</p>

<p>So yeah, I am very confusing now. I work pretty hard in high school and I got in and I heard during this economic crisis it’s even harder to get in so I feel happy about it. However, my other very good friends, who are also want to go to Davis, all got rejected. That means if I go to davis, then I will have to go by myself with no friends I know. </p>

<p>If i go to UCSC, I have all my friends there and UCSC is more fun more activities. People are very cool there. But the reputation is not that good. And my sister keep telling me that if I got in Davis then I should definitely go to Davis because Davis is more superior. And I’ve heard about the “Pass or Fail” myth which scares me. </p>

<p>(The reason why I keep talking about my friends is just because they are my really good friends for years, they are just like my brothers and they are very important to me)</p>

<p>Now I am kinda more toward to UCSC because they have a major called Health Science which UC Davis doesnt have. If i go to Davis I would pick biomedical engineering. I wish I can work somewhere in a medical field such as a doctor assistance, nurse, or pharmacist. </p>

<p>I know I just keep finding evidence that would tell me that UCSC is better than UCD becaue I really want to go with my friends. </p>

<p>But considering majors, social life, friends, reputations, and my job in the feature, which one I should go? </p>

<p>thanks for you advise in advance!</p>

<p>hey! yeah UCD is higher up on the UC scale then UCSC. Im a freshman right now at UCSC and i love it. I made a lot of awesome friends and im having the time of my life. If you really want to go to UCD, you should go. You dont wanna have any regrets later. As for the hippie lifestyle, its not as bad as people say it is. Believe it or not there are NORMAL PEOPLE like you and me here at ucsc. :D</p>

<p>Davis in the middle of the country so it's not fun? What and what?</p>

<p>And I wouldn't base where you go off where your friends are going, you'll regret it later. I assure you there are cool people and fun things to do in Davis, too. Davis is also much better in this particular area and will be able to offer you much more in the way of biology/health sciences.</p>

<p>Good luck with your choice.</p>

<p>I wouldn't go based upon where your friends are going.</p>

<p>However, I also wouldn't choose a school based solely upon rank.</p>

<p>I got into UCSD, UCSB and am waiting on LA and Berkeley....and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up at UCSC regardless of the news the LA and Berkeley decisions bring.</p>

<p>I feel like I would be very very happy at UCSC...they don't make you do pass/fail, by the way. You can choose not to...and if you actually want to, they only allow you to do it for 25% of your classes.</p>

<p>Here's my opinion on each one of the points that you listed.</p>

<p>Majors: I personally wouldn't choose a school based on a specific major if that is going to be the only factor. You can never be sure with what career path you want to take..and even if you think you know, you are obviously indecisive (like me) and might be more unsure than you think. Two years down the road, if you become actually committed to a certain field and a different school excels in that area, you can always transfer. Think back to the person you were two years ago and you will probably know that you are much more mature now...well, just imagine how much more you'll know about yourself in two more years...</p>

<p>Social life:
It depends on what you are looking for in a social life. If you are more into the coffee shops, small parties, adventures through a forest, indie music etc etc type stuff, then UCSC might be more the social life you want. However, if you are more into the typical stuff, like bowling, movies, and camping...you'll like Davis more. Overall, I've gotten the impression that UCD is much less social than UCSC, however, it doesn't mean that it's totally boring. Plus, there are parties at any UC.</p>

<p>Friends: I don't think you should go to a college just for your friends. You say that they are like your "brothers" however, most people leave behind their brothers when they go to college, not just their friends. Most of the people that I know who have gone to college with their friends end up drifting apart anyway, since college is a time when you will meet so many new people and be exposed to so many new things.</p>

<p>Reputations: UC Davis has a better reputation...however, it isn't going to make a HUGE HUGE difference. It isn't like you're deciding between Harvard and Cal State Channel Islands. They are both UCs and simply going to UCSC is not going to hinder you from any future plans, so long as you study just as hard as you would anywhere else.</p>

<p>Jobs: Both are in small college towns, however, they are also both near two big cities. With UC Davis, you've got Sacramento not too far of a drive..and with UC Santa Cruz, you're very close to San Jose and the Silicon Valley...You will have opportunities at either place. You seem to want to work in a field that is found in both cities. </p>

<p>My best advice to you is to try your hardest to visit both of the campuses and see which one feels more like "home" to you...because that is what it is going to be for the next four years of your life.</p>

<p>Awesome reply Skad.</p>

<p>Although I'm still waiting on admission replies from two unis myself, I'll probably be attending UCSC as well. What is unfortunate though is seeing one of my best friends, who certainly was qualified to receive admittance, be rejected from UCSC (along with a number of other UCs) and placed into a situation where he's doubtful he'll even have the oppurtunity to attend a university come this fall. If I had chosen UCSC, I had presumed I would be attending with him.</p>

<p>I'm a bit off-topic, but I feel the amount of "surprise" rejections going around my school is really remarkable.</p>

<p>Thanks Syrius. </p>

<p>Yeah, at my school, it's the reverse though. I'm seeing a lot of unqualified students getting accepted. </p>

<p>Maybe your friend should try appealing!</p>