UCF Class of 2027 Decisions

Have you all put down the deposit for housing? $250 housing deposit seems steep (especially compared to the rest of the colleges) not knowing whether or not the kid will end up there.

We did, yes. Housing is tough there like in many places, and not guaranteed. Though my kids like UCF a lot from their visits there. We had visited first during junior year kind of expecting to knock it off the list, but ended up very surprised at much we all liked it.

1 Like

Agree, makes sense to get inline for housing sooner than later

In the UCF National Merit newsletter, one of the perks for National Merit Finalists listed is “Guaranteed on-campus housing for four years with available housing preference.” So we’re holding off on any housing deposit until February – after he’s visited UCF and Tulsa and has a better idea where he’s going to end up.

1 Like

Anyone else still waiting on a decision? It has been over 6 months and all they can tell me is to “keep watching your email.” Other schools are starting to look for decisions. Is this their normal process, to continually hold students until they fill their slots with commitments?

1 Like

Some consider their process to be a soft rejection or an unofficial waitlist. They typically take high stat (high test scores with matching gpa) kids pretty quickly after applying, and then they need to save space for their in state Top 10 Knights applications. That process finished up March 1.
If your student has high stats and is still waiting all this time, then there is likely something wrong- missing score or transcript or spark form. If the stats are lower, then there is no real time commitment for a reply from what I’ve heard from past parents, and it is better to have a good backup plan just to be safe.

1 Like

The other thing that goes on this time of year are acceptances from UF and FSU. Quite a few students consider UCF as their backup to UF/FSU. When they get accepted by UCF, they have until May 1 to confirm – so many wait for UF/FSU.

UF has sent most of their acceptances, and I believe FSU has sent all. UF’s final batch of acceptances go out the last Friday in March with 30 days to accept. As UF/FSU applicants get accepted, that frees up some spots at UCF.

UCF says all acceptances will be given by May 1. Until then, all you can do is wait. I know it’s nerve-wracking, but that’s the drill.

2 Likes

Thanks. Not sure we can wait all the way until May 1 (which would be 8 1/2 months after applying) as other schools are wanting decisions. UCF just needs to be more upfront with the applying students and communicate where they are in the process. All I get when I call is that everything they need has been supplied and they cannot tell me when the committee will review and make a decision. But to “just keep monitoring your emails.”

Yeah, that’s just the way they do it. The people you talk to on the phone are as helpful as they can be, but they can’t change the system.

And honestly, right now the situation is that all spots are currently taken – until someone previously accepted says no thanks. When that happens they go to the wait list.

The one thing you do NOT want to do is demand an answer “right now.” If you do that, the only answer they can give you is NO.

I don’t understand why they are not just transparent and tell the students that their information has been reviewed and that they are waitlisted. Instead they continue to be a bit misleading in telling the student that the committee has not completed their review.

I don’t know, but that’s the way they do it.

It is weird because Undergrad Admissions is one of the friendliest, most helpful offices we’ve dealt with in our 3 years at UCF.

So then they’re not really a “rolling admissions” school as they told me when I inquired about my application. I had sent mine in early September. I actually wish I could tell them to just give me my application money back and don’t worry about it. I’ve already committed elsewhere.

1 Like

No, unfortunately it does no appear that is as much a rolling admission as it is that they place those that do not meet their top criteria on hold until they see if they get the numbers they want enrolled. Very one sided and a bit disrespectful to those applying. We applied in August. They make some applicants put their decisions on hold while they do not even have the courtesy to even communicate where they stand in the process. Man how things have changed over the years with colleges.

What would you consider high test scores? Above the 75th percentile, above 50th?

High test scores would be above their 75%, imo. I would think something over 1400 with matching gpa would get a pretty quick response. I would think anything under 1300 would get a slower response.
Just my opinions! Lol. I’m not associated with the school or admissions.

1 Like

Nobody knows what the number is (if there even is one), but UCF publishes the stats for each entering class. Just go to ucf.edu and use the search tool.

I believe UCF says 1100 is the minimum SAT score, but to compare you have to understand that they superscore ACT and SAT using the highest component scores from all tests.

UCF also recalculates weighted GPA’s, using only core courses required for graduation by the State of Florida. My daughter attended an all-magnet HS where all courses were either AP or Honors, so a great many of her Honors courses didn’t count at all.

1 Like

Daughter accepted. OOS, CA student - Health Science Majors. She wanted to study in Florida and lovin’ UCF. Any recommendation / suggestion for Housing.

Apply for housing as soon as you can, because it is very tight. If she was accepted into Burnett Honors, I believe she will be guaranteed housing for four years in Towers
which is great.

Congratulations on her acceptance and good luck with housing.

Will do! Thanks for your response

1 Like

Just to clarify- NMF scholars (and some athletes) are guaranteed housing for 4 years, not Burnett Honors students. Everyone else goes into the same lottery for housing after freshman year. Also, it has been noted on some UCF parent sites that housing is not taking any more applications, and there is already a long waitlist.

1 Like