UCI or UCSD?

<p>I really don’t know. Up until this week, I was pretty sure that I wanted to go to UCSD, but then everyone at my school (a close-knit class of ~100 students) started to talk about where they were going. I realized that some of my friends had decided that they were going to UCI … so I checked my package for UCI. They’re giving me honors and regent’s scholarship. I’m in need of some advice. I also have a flurry of questions.</p>

<p>I’m currently admitted as Undeclared in both UCs, but I’m thinking about going into CSE. How do the two CSE departments compare? Is it much harder to find a job w/ a CSE major in Irvine than in SD? </p>

<p>Does honors/regents make it easier for me to talk/get close to my profs? I am pretty reticent and shy, so a primary concern for me is whether or not I’ll be able to communicate and make connections with people when I get to college. This is also the reason why I’m thinking about sticking with people that I know.</p>

<p>Never go to a school because your friends are going there. Make the decision for yourself. Inevitably, you are going to lose some of your friends from H.S. and make new friends at college. I thought that would never happen because I was pretty antisocial like you. I was wrong. </p>

<p>What’s CSE? I’m guessing Computer Science (and Engineering?). UCI isn’t horrendous in this area, but I wouldn’t call Bren School an amazing program either. Usually, it’s been said that UCSD is better in these science-y areas. Honors is great, you get an advantage over everyone else when picking classes. That said, you won’t really need that advantage for something like CS or Engineering (sorry I don’t know if they are the same thing or separate really). There are really few sections to chose from when signing up for classes in those majors. For majors like Bio, there’s usually multiple sections and people usually chose the one with the best (i.e, the easiest) professors. I can see it helping you for things like GE’s but it’s not really necessary. Regents scholarship…that depends. Do you really need the money? Or if you do, is it worth picking UCI over UCSD? You need to visit both schools to make a good decision. </p>

<p>Just don’t stress over the friends thing. You’ll make some friends…at least one (and one really good friend is all people really need) no matter which school you pick. Also Regents and honors will not magically make it easier for you to talk to your professors. Your professors would love to talk to you (well, most would lol), whether you are Regents/honors or not. It’s up to you to make the move. Honestly, it’s tough…my first quarter I didn’t speak to a single professor, I just started by chatting up the TA’s…the next two quarters I only spoke to professors when I really needed something (answer key, grade change, ect)…by my second year, I could go talk to professors when I had problems I couldn’t understand and discuss the material. People who are naturally conversational and all that don’t realize it’s tough but you’ll get there. Seriously, I felt like a lost cause for a while but it’s a process =/</p>

<p>Don’t forget UCSD has the residential colleges which create a very intimate feel for a massive campus. Each has its own provost, counselors, etc., so you get a manageable small school feel with all the attributes of a world class institution. UCSD is more highly ranked, if that matters to you.</p>

<p>Thank you guys. :slight_smile: Submitted my SIR to UCSD. Was thinking about Cal Poly as well, for the longest time.</p>