UCLA and UC Berkeley ELC admissions rate?

For the class of 2019, what is the acceptance rate to these schools if you are ELC eligible?

An Eligibility in the Local Context means that you, along with thousands of other California high schoolers achieved grades within the top 9% of your high school class.

So if you don’t get into your desired university, you may have the option of attending a UC that has openings. Right now, thats Merced. It doesn’t mean that you get to attend Berkeley. FWIW, there are thousands of kids with ELC eligibility-this is not a unique award.

yeah, but how many of those who are elc eligible and apply to uc Berkeley or ucla get in

97% of UCLA’s enrolled Freshman and 98% of UCB’s were in the top 10% of their graduating class.

For 10th and 11th grade 10% only, or all 4 years?

Common dataset does not specify, but what difference would it make? You are either a competitive applicant or not regardless. OOS and International applicants are not ELC eligible, but are still accepted to these schools each year, so I really do not understand why ELC is an issue.

@Gumbymom because let’s just say, person A does bad freshman year, but then in 10th and 11th grade he in the top 9% of his class. His overall rank for 9-12 is like 25% because of 9th grade, but lets say Person B is in 9% of his class in 9-12, is Person A at a severe disadvantage or do they both have the same chances. To sum it up:

Person A- 25% in class, 9% in 10th and 11th grade

Person B- 9% in class, 9% in 10th and 11th grade

(Does person A now have a 98% lower chance than person B for UCB?)

There are 2 ways to be ELC eligible: Top 9% of your HS class and top 9% of the state. Person B would be ELC eligible in the local context. Person A could be eligible in the statewide path. Since UC’s only consider 10-11th grades in the GPA calculation, either A and/or B could get accepted at UCB. As long as Person A passed their a-g course requirements in Freshman year, they can still be ELC eligible by the statewide path. Here is a link to calculate the statewide eligibility:http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/

Older son was ELC eligible by local context and younger son by statewide path. Both were accepted to at least one UC. UC admission is not just ELC eligiblity, it is a combination of GPA/Test scores/Essays and EC’s. There are a number of factors that will influence a decision. There is no way to predict the outcomes simply by being ELC eligible.

All three of my kids were ELC eligible as were most of their AP classmates.

Did they list this accomplishment? Nope. My kids knew that admission to their colleges was based on their SAT’s, GPA’s and EC’s, not some label. They obviously didn’t list the ELC label because everyone eligible for the UC’s had that label. It just verified that they had taken the a-g courses, and, that they passed the courses with decent grades. The ELC just verified the fact that the kids were eligible to apply to the UC’s. The end result provided that If my children didn’t get into their UC’s, then they could go to Merced.

I don’t think it means anything,

Re: #6

Note also that ELC is not determined by the class rank your high school assigns to you.

It is determined by whether your UC-weighted GPA exceeds a threshold UC-weighted GPA for your high school. That threshold is based on the top 9% of previous classes’ UC-weighted GPA.

For UCB and UCLA, it is likely that almost all California resident applicants with a decent chance of admission have ELC, so merely having ELC says little about admission chances at UCB and UCLA.

By ELC I do not mean statewide, I mean in you school top 9%. I think you guys misunderstood my question. About the 98% is in 10-11 th grade gpa or alll grades (9-12)? @Gumbymom

Why is it relevant? It won’t make a difference in your admissions.

It just confirms that your are on the right track for applying and that you’ve met minimum requirements. Why are you so hung up on this?
Agree with @DrGoogle.

UCs do not use your high school’s class rank, so any class rank information that they report is likely based on the data gathered for ELC, i.e. your UC-weighted GPA ranked among recalculated UC-weighted GPAs for recent historical classes of your high school.

@“aunt bea” @ucbalumnus Gumbymom said above that “97% of UCLA’s enrolled Freshman and 98% of UCB’s were in the top 10% of their graduating class.” Is this “top 10%” based on only grades earned in 10-11 grade or all of high school?

because I did bad freshman year, but I did well 10th and 11th, so I likely wont be in the top 10% of my class because of 9th grade. I am in the top 9% for 10-11 grade though…

Post #10 answers your question. Your HS assigned class rank is irrelevant. Your UC-weighted GPA is what is examined – and your only taking Chemistry or Honors Chemistry as a senior casts a very big doubt on this… Many of your competitors will have taken Chem or Honors Chem as a Fr or Soph and would have taken AP Chem as a Junior or Senior. I highly suggest an honest re-evaluation of what sorts of schools you should target.

I have to agree with all of the above posters, especially @T26E4 ^^ who are trying to get you to understand that the ELC really doesn’t matter. WHETHER that is in 9th, 10th, 11th, doesn’t matter. A person who is within the top 15% can also apply to the UCs, he/she just isn’t assured a spot at Merced.

The ELC title doesn’t give you an advantage in admission to Berkeley or LA. It tells the school that the school’s scheduling of your classes can allow you to apply to the UCs. It tells you that you, personally, can apply to the UCs, and if you don’t get into your choices, you have the option to go to MERCED.

Let’s say a person at your school “Fred” is in the top 15% at your school, 10th &11th grades, and he doesn’t get the ELC letter because he’s gotten a few C grades which didn’t put him in the top 9%; but, Fred happens to have taken a number of AP courses and performed really well on his SATs.

Fred also happens to be a great state swimmer and missed a lot of school going to swim meets. Fred is also an Eagle Scout trainer at Philmont, and is a strong writer. Fred then gets admitted to LA and Berkeley. Fred didn’t get the ELC classification so he isn’t guaranteed a space at a California public college if he chooses not to attend LA or Berkeley. Fred got into those schools without the ELC letter so he’s not part of that 98% that had the title. What then? ( We did have such a kid at my son’s high school.)

Your grades in 9th grade are not considered for admission to the UC’s.

If you don’t understand that the ELC title isn’t a guarantee for Berkeley and LA, then you are really going to have a tough time getting through any UC or university.

Do you understand now how it works?

No, this is a hypothetical situation of what could happen @T26E4

@auntbea yeah I know that ELC is not a guarantee for LA or B. I am asking that since I am not in the top 10% of my class due to freshman year, are my chances of getting into UCB 98% lower than someone who is in the top 10%?