UCLA Appeal

<p>I got rejected from UCLA, and am considering an appeal. My “new and compelling” info pertains to missing coursework and medical/ financial hardship. I forgot to mention my art classes from freshman year to junior year in my application. In addition, my medical and family financial hardship compels me to stay in L.A. All of the amazing and wonderful schools I got accepted to are either far or too expensive for my family to afford. </p>

<p>In short, I would not have access to my doctor or disability services that I normally have nearby if I end up going to another school. I am also having UC education potentially fully paid for by another organization that specializes in helping kids with disabilities succeed. They will pretty much provide the resources I need to succeed. However, it has to be a *public California university. I didn’t apply to any nearby Cal State schools. The private L.A. school is too expensive for my family to afford even with financial aid. The only UC school I got accepted to is in NoCal. Is this a solid reason to appeal?</p>

<p>I’m asking for opinions because I don’t know if I should move forward with this information. Thank you. :)</p>

<p>Bump</p>

<p>I don’t think your financial reason is that compelling because you can save money and stay close to home by enrolling in your local CC. Part of applying to college is applying to safeties that you can afford. Your art class won’t make any difference in your application. If you have a disability, you probably have received a disabilities form that you have submitted which was considering during the decision process.</p>

<p>Thanks for your opinion. @bouncer But many people appeal to UCLA even though they could go to another college. I would prefer not to go to CC, and I’d rather take the advantage of receiving a potentially free education at a UC school to receive the best education/ resources possible. In my appeal, I will explain what services UCLA could offer me and why I should go there. However, I will definitely consider my other options. Yes, I got rejected even with the supplemental questionnaire. </p>

<p>In case you’re wondering this is what I’m referring to when I mention “potentially free UC education” Thanks, guys!
<a href=“http://www.osd.ucla.edu/docs/Getting_Started/DOR.html”>http://www.osd.ucla.edu/docs/Getting_Started/DOR.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I agree with @bouncer actually. Just because you can appeal doesn’t mean you should. You’re stressing yourself out unnecessarily considering your reason for appealing isn’t relevant to admissions criteria. Just because you’re from LA doesn’t mean UCLA needs to admit you. Your appeal shouldn’t discuss why UCLA would be good for you, or why you want to go there. It should discuss pertinent information that wasn’t in your app that could potentially explain some of your weaker areas. </p>

<p>Agree with Bouncer and UCLAstudennnt. Just because you insist that this is the only school you can attend, doesn’t mean they have to admit you and you can’t “force” the issue. You can appeal but they usually stick by their decisions. Whining about why you HAVE to go to UCLA aint gonna make a bit of difference. LA has a ton of schools and any UCLA-type of student would have known that being rejected was a possibility, and such a student would have also applied to safeties in the LA area, just to make it financially and medically feasible for his family. You could have accessed your physician from any of the other Cal states: Fullerton, Northridge, Dominguez Hills, Long Beach, LA, and Irvine, as well as some of the privates: USC, Chapman, Loyola, Scripps Colleges, etc. Since you are “compelled” to stay in LA, try Santa Monica Community College.</p>

<p>@auntbea Thank you for your honest opinion.
It’s not my intention to insist or whine that I absolutely have to go to UCLA. I know that it’s not the only school I have to attend. I’m definitely considering my other options.
Any other opinions/ discouragement/encouragement? </p>

<p>I really think you should consider attending SMC. I know it’s a blow to the ego to go to a CC first, but I know plenty of CC transfers at UC’s right now. The experience is certainly different, but not necessarily worse. You can make your experience her phenomenal if you put in the work. Whether you’re here as a transfer or freshman, you have the opportunity to make the most of it. If you do well in your classes, grad school is still an option after graduating from a UC post-CC, or even attending a CSU. Some of my TA’s graduated from CSU’s! Don’t worry too much. It will work out for the best.</p>

<p>Going to CCs aren’t looked down upon as it used to. SMC is a great school if you want to transfer to either UCLA or USC and you have a high chance of getting into these schools too as a transfer from SMC. You can also go to the UC in NoCal and transfer if you don’t like it there. Your college experience should be about trying/experimenting new things and overcoming your comfort zone. Where ever you decide to go, you will love it!</p>