UCLA Art Major Class of 2027

Hello to everyone! So excited for my daughter, she was accepted to UCLA for Art. I didn’t find much info about this, is it difficult to get into this major? Any other fellow Art students we can connect with?? What other options if she decides to change majors? Her friend is in Design and Media Arts, that also looks like a great major. She is not 100 percent sure on what she wants to do exactly for career. She is also interested in minor in business or entrepreneurship. Also interested in any internships or additional avenues to learn and grow!

Also looking for any scholarship information. Thanks in advance!

Hello, congrats to your daughter! My daughter was also accepted to the art major at UCLA. It is a very competitive major, as I read somewhere that the acceptance rate is around 5%. By all accounts the art department at UCLA is very highly ranked among universities in the US.

My daughter also hopes to figure out career options when she is in college, and we have also been eyeing up the entrepreneurship minor. Selling art is a business, so it will benefit them if they know how to price and market their art. LA is a very creative city so I’m assuming that internships will be easy to find.

We are going to Bruin Day on April 15 and hope to learn more about the university and program. We are on the East coast so we haven’t visited the campus yet and don’t know if she will “vibe” with it. Based on reputation, however, it is certainly one of her top 2 or 3 choices. We have not seen any scholarship opportunities, and from what I’ve read UCLA is stingy with merit money for out of state students.

Congrats again!

Nice!!! Congrats. Hope to see you there. I’ll be there as well. Maybe they can connect and potentially be roommates! Her and her friend re currently looking for a 3rd roommate! We will also be at Bruin Day. Feel free to message me!

1 Like

@Wheaty i read some of your older posts about your daughter and UCLA! Can you provide some insight/advice??? Did your daughter attend and how did she like it. My daughter was also accepted to both USC and UCLA.

Hi Qdao, yes both of my daughters are now graduates of UCLA. My oldest got her degree in Fine Art and my youngest in World Arts & Cultures and a 2nd degree in Communications. Both daughters LOVED going to UCLA. They were both very involved in campus life, lived in the dorms, joined sororities, joined clubs, etc. Both are now working in fields that use their degrees directly. I really like both UCLA and USC as universities. You can’t go wrong with either. However, there is a strong difference in the respective art schools. UCLA has a much better Art School than USC. UCLA is consistently ranked as the #2 art program in the country behind Yale. But beyond ranking it’s clear that UCLA has a much fuller offering, better professors, and better facilities for artists. Because of this it’s incredibly difficult to get accepted to UCLA Art and it has one of the lowest acceptance rates on campus. One thing to note: UCLA Art requires all artists to take courses in ALL arts so my daughter (photography) took ceramics, oil painting, etc classes in addition to her concentration in photography. My daughter loved that but some kids don’t like being pushed out of their comfort zone. Hope this helps you and your daughter. You really can’t go wrong either way. Best of luck and congrats! Exciting! - Wheaty

Oops, I forgot to answer… yes they were both accepted to both USC and UCLA. Funny thing happened at USC. They REALLY wanted my oldest in their art department, offered a partial scholarship and even a spot in the marching band if she would accept. They made it very difficult to say no thanks. My youngest was accepted to USC Film and UCLA Art… now that was a difficult choice. :slight_smile:

@Wheaty I’m another mom of a daughter who was accepted to UCLA for fine art, and I really appreciate you sharing your experience! And it’s so great to hear your thoughts vs. USC, as my daughter was accepted there as well but without merit, so it got tossed off her list.

Would you be willing to share the fields in which your daughters now work? I am thrilled to hear that UCLA requires classes in all mediums, as my daughter doesn’t want to be pushed into one area like is the requirement at some schools.

I’m excited to see what my daughter thinks after our visit. I will definitely connect and let you know where she stands! Are you in state?

Sure, my oldest (art major) works for a large super high-end real estate builder and she runs the creative department. Their work is jaw dropping. And my youngest (Communications and World Arts) heads up the social media dept for a major brand. She also took several summer classes at USC Film and so she uses all three educational disciplines every day. It turns out that the world needs talented artists after all. You’ll hear many people in the world of college acceptance say that non-STEM programs are a waste. I have two examples that happily disagree. Yes, in state.

A couple of related thoughts on UCLA. 1) Google the art professors and you will find that many of them are world famous at what they do. 2) While on the campus tour eat at several of the themed restaurants. UCLA is consistently ranked high in food. 3) It’s a big campus but Art has a very low population. So don’t let the overall campus size intimidate you. Small school within a big university so you get the advantages of both. 4) If you have extra time walk around Westwood Village a bit to get a feel for extended campus life. 5) There was a question above about changing majors. Yes it’s done all the time but sort of unusual for the talent majors (art, dance, music, etc.) mainly because it’s so difficult to get in to these schools that the talent has to be really, really good. And usually those kids love what they do. But it still does happen. On the first day of new student orientation the campus guide will ask ‘who wants to change majors’ and they hand you a form to complete. From Art you can change to any of the other majors that are in the general university (English, History, etc) but not directly to any of the other Schools (Engineering, etc.). You would have to apply directly to that School and wait for an answer. My youngest did that to get her 2nd degree in Communications. So it’s possible but not automatic. A change to any major in the general University is automatic.

This is phenomenal feedback to read as we are sitting at the gate waiting to board for our first trip to campus - thank you!

You are most welcome. Maybe the best advice I can offer: tour both of these amazing schools and stand in the middle of each campus and take a deep breath. Most kids will have a clear answer to which they prefer. And again, your daughter has already won as they are both great universities. Cheers!

@Wheaty thanks for your advice! D23 committed at Bruin Day!!

@JulieKM Hey that’s great news! She’s going to love her time at that amazing place. A major accomplishment and a really terrific milestone in your daughter’s life. Congratulations to her and I wish her the best possible good fortune.

Hearing about the above students getting accepted to UCLA Art has reminded me of something that I learned years ago while trying to decode the college admissions game in an effort to better the odds for my 2 daughters. The art facilities matter in a way that is not immediately intuitive. Lemme 'splain.

Let me pick on 2 universities to illustrate my finding: UCLA and Pepperdine.

UCLA has a separate 9 story building entirely devoted to Art majors. Massive areas for the students to create, easy access to supplies, and world-class art professors and guest lecturers. There are 2 art museums on campus and UCLA is completely connected with the overall art world in Los Angeles.

Pepperdine has a very small area on one floor within the Humanities building. The art professors are fine but not world-class. No other real investments in art majors.

So obviously art students will most likely develop more consistently and at a higher level at UCLA. BUT here’s the trick I learned as all this relates to art admissions for ANY school – schools that have huge investments in buildings, professors, etc means that they have an equally huge desire to attract top talent.

It’s very much like sports. Look at USC and their football stadium, the Coliseum. Think of the size of that commitment. Now to make that work USC has to continuously field top talent with top coaches, and top resources to hopefully get top results. When that happens the financial investment pays off. USC doesn’t have a choice, they HAVE to attract top HS players.

So my lightbulb moment was that by becoming the best high school artist in some medium means that you are sought after by the schools that have made serious commitments to art majors. In fact these schools are hungry for the top artists. But the reverse is also true. Schools like Pepperdine that have small commitment don’t value the top HS artists in the application cycle. So your admissions portfolio means almost zero to a school like this.

In fact, this theory was proven by my oldest daughter. One of the top photography major applicants in her year. She was accepted to UCLA and denied at Pepperdine which was one of her safety schools. At first it was sort of mind blowing but after we looked at it through using the above thinking it made more sense.

Future applicants can use this little trick to their advantage by researching schools and ranking the commitments levels in the art department for each school. This will tell you a lot about if that university is hungry for your particular talents and the students will see their odds improve in direct proportion to the quality of their portfolios.

Hope this makes sense.
Best, Wheaty

1 Like

This is so true!! My daughter was so surprised when our state university didn’t even accept a portfolio submission during the application process! That should have been our first clue that it wasn’t for her. They have an art department but not a separate college for art within the university - it lives in the Arts and Humanities college. She applied because it is a good practice financially to always apply to your state university, but when we toured the art facilities they were very dark and “sad” (her words) - and with no student art hanging on the walls! She was accepted and actually got a free ride based on her stats, but it was obvious that she would not have progressed toward being a working artist if she went there. It was hard to take a pass on a free ride, but you can definitely tell which schools are invested in art (and therefore art students) and which are not.

She is thrilled to be going to UCLA!!

My HS freshman daughter is interested in art. Any tips on what you think are the most important achievements to get accepted by UCLA Art? GPA? Art Portfolio? ?? Any tips are appreciated!

I found this on quora in relation to UCLA art. You may want to ask there.

What are some things that can make your portfolio stand out?

1. Documentation - many students tend to make a thing, snap a picture, and that’s that. Elevate your documentation. Is the photography and composition of the documentation photo good? Can the way you document it place your artwork in context, so that it gives it an extra dimension of understanding?

2. Your art style - What does your art style say about your personality, opinions, thoughts? These people are designers and artists, dabbling in both the commercial and fine arts world. Think John Cage, Eduardo Kac, Andy Warhol, Maywa Denki, Sputniko.

3. How striking and intriguing are your projects both visually and conceptually? Do they challenge anything?

4. Do they tell the faculty about who you are as an artist, about your opinions and technical skill?

5. Are you doing something beautiful but also unique? That it’s not just a popular commercial trend?

6. Are you multidisciplinary or an expert in one craft? (Both are fine, but just make sure you’re good whichever direction you’re going at.

7. The DMA website - UCLA Design Media Arts Can you do better than current students? If you replaced the thumbnails in the student gallery with your own images, will they shine in the crowd?

8. Start working on the supplemental application NOW. Put something together, send it to an art teacher or even a professor at DMA. If they have time, they’ll be happy to review it for you and tell you what’s good and bad about the pieces in your portfolio.

Final verdict: Focus on your portfolio and pass your classes.

My D went to Ringling for CA. The portfolio requirements were very heavy in figure drawing. Learning perspective. For CA it was more for action drawing vs still life so the portfolio requirements can vary from major to major even within the department. I read that UCLA art has more of an interdisciplinary approach so a student experiences a wide variety of art–not for everyone.
Art schools do look for good students who have demonstrated the ability to learn and succeed. So grades do count even though portfolio is king. The best artist is not always the best art student. Art schools look to make a good artist great–so that person needs to be open to suggestion and try new approaches to their art.

Look into National Portfolio Days. They are geared towards rising Seniors.
Look into pre-college programs.

Art programs can be 24/7 art–you gotta love it!

1 Like

Thank you for the tips!

Hello everyone! I’m a rising high school senior who’s interested in UCLA arts. Unfortunately, I’ve found that there’s not many accepted example portfolios available online to reference what UCLA may be looking for in artists. I was wondering if anyone here would be welcome to share their portfolio or their child’s portfolio if they feel comfortable?

I was also wondering if I should be worried about my extracurriculars applying for the UCLA art major since I’ve heard that they mainly look at your portfolio, then go back and slim down the pool based on your stats. I have a 4.0 GPA and would have taken 10 APs by the end of my senior year but I have not participated in any national or state art competitions, or anything that extraordinary. I do, however, have a strong focus in art in my chosen classes over the years and have participated in some school and district wide art shows.

Anything would help, thank you!