UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

Welcome potential Bruins! This is the official thread to discuss all things about Ucla during the application process all the way through acceptance. Please do not make additional class of 2023 threads they will be closed. If you tag me I will try and respond to all questions. There are many other posters who are very knowledgeable as well that can help. Please keep all chancing to your own personal threads. Chancing posts here will most likely be removed. Good luck and go Bruins!

@10s4life for engineering, don’t some of the majors have greater acceptance rates than L&S, so if I applied to it, I would have a greater chance of getting in than L&S? Also, what is the acceptance rates for L&S?

@ohnocollege123 Mat Dci does. But that’s very deceiving because engineering applicants are self selecting. Their test scores and gpa at the applicant level are much higher than L&S. If you want to be a L&S major then apply for that not engineering. Not only is the real admit rate much lower, readers can see a bait and switch a mile away. L&S for 2018 is 15% plus some decimals but I’m not near data rn. Mat sci is 30 but if you can’t get into L&S you won’t get into mat sci either. The median UW gpa for enginerring is a 4.0. L&S is much lower than that.

Also major choice does not matter for L&S. You are admitted to the college and everyone is a pre major. My advice for all applicants is apply for what you like. Major choice only matters for engineering and there are mechanisms in place to prevent people from applying to mat sci and trying to switch to CS since the acceptance rates are different. There’s no way to “game” the system.

Also for engineering, do your ECs have to be related to engineering? I have research/work/awards related to engineering, but my community service, clubs, and volunteering focus on other stuff.

@ohnocollege123 If you want me to receive a notification you’d have to tag me. But it helps but isn’t required.

What are some the main things you look for in a UCLA nursing school applicant?

@manders_01 Nursing is particularly competitive. They look for strength in science and math as well as personality. Nursing looks for empathetic and caring individuals. You need top notch scores and gpa

@10s4life hey:) do you know the median UW for L&S? Im applying for chemistry most likely.

what about computational biology??? @10s4life

@justanotheranter @schoology The GPAs and test scores can easily be found on the Ucla undergrad admissions freshman profile link on the Ucla website. If I answered your question here I would’ve just done the google search for you.

Major doesn’t matter for L&S so computational bio won’t have a specific gpa since no one is admitted to their major in L&S.

Not to be condescending but many questions can be found right away on google. That skill is necessary in college. Being self sufficient is really important. I’d be happy to discuss more complex questions but something like this you can find super quick. Good luck the app opened yesterday!

@10s4life Oh sorry! I just couldnt seem to find it for L&S specifically because I thought those numbers were just school wide averages

I took a summer course this summer (going into senior year) to free up space in my senior schedule and I was wondering if that would be calculated into my UC GPA. They say summer courses for failed classes after junior year matter but don’t say if it counts for senior courses. I needed a 70 to pass so I got a B and now am afraid it could hurt my application. If it did, I would consider just taking the course during the year.

@odometer all classes taken must be reported. Summer after junior year before senior year is considered a junior year grade. So that grade would be part of your junior year and counts. If you repeat senior year it will still be on your gpa for the UC app because you can’t replace grades. A B hurts you more if your gpa isn’t high already. If you don’t report it and you get into Ucla you’ll get rescinded when you submit transcripts.

Does it matter if I’m out of state?

@odometer: Since it is an a-g course, it will not make a difference if you are in-state or OOS, you still need to include it your UC GPA calculation, report it on your UC application and include in your final transcript if accepted.

Oh I see now. Thank you for the responses.

Here’s a video going over everything you need to get into UCLA in 7 minutes: https://youtu.be/PyEHkgOters

Hey guys! I’m a soon to be second Computer Science and Engineering student at UCLA! I remember college confidential was a huge help to me when I was applying and I just want to give back! Please let me know if you have any questions! Feel free to directly message me or reply to my comment!

Hey, I was just wondering how popular the Physiological Science Major was. I heard that the pre-med scene at UCLA is pretty cut-throat; I don’t know how I would prepare for it, but I’m not allowing it to deter me.