UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@pickledginger Glad to have been of help…

What is the best way of getting from UCLA to a train station (Union Station or other) to catch a train to San Diego?

@ngopalan uber or lyft

@10s4life My son took Uber to Union Station when he was there for orientation.

That cost almost $60.

Any cheaper options? I am sure public transport is available, but what would be most convenient? Or least inconvenient.

Thanks for the feedback.

@ngopalan Not really unless someone gives him a ride for free

@ngopalan, Was that $60 one way or to and from? Uber/Lyft fares will depend on how much traffic there is at the time. You can also choose pool/shared ride to get a better fare. After leaving my son at orientation, I hung out at the library and waited for traffic to die down. Then I walked to the edge of campus and took an Uber Pool to East LA Library, which is a little further than Union Station I think. Since I wasn’t in a rush, I also selected Express Pool (short walk to and from pick-up/drop-off location). I only had to walk across the street for pick-up, and even though it was an express pool, the driver didn’t pick up anyone else and dropped me off at my desired location. My fare was $16 -$5 coupon (this orientation trip was my first time using Uber/Lyft!), so $11.

Did some more digging and found a UCLA KB item with public transport options:
https://kb.ucla.edu/articles/how-to-get-to-union-station-from-ucla

Also, if you are catching Amtrak, you can use the Amtrak ThruWay serice:
https://www.transportation.ucla.edu/getting-to-ucla/travel-options/amtrak-california-thruway-service-to-and-from-ucla

@10s4life
My chemistry 20a class uses kudu. I purchased the iclicker2 through Amazon.

When buying the course through kudu, Would i purchase the $50 for a single quarter Or $75 for the year? I will be taking chemistry the rest of the year.
Thank you!

@104s4life…should we purchase an iclicker now or wait until after his classes begin?

@Haysmom Wait to buy textbooks and anything else til the first week. Unless it explicitly says otherwise.

Question regarding varicella immunization requirements.

The requirement is "You must submit TWO doses of Varicella Vaccine. The first vaccine dose must be on or after your first birthday and the second vaccine dose must be at least 28 days after the first dose.

IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF VARICELLA ILLNESS (CHICKEN POX) OR ARE UNABLE TO OBTAIN PROOF OF VACCINATION, YOU MUST OBTAIN A VARICELLA ANTIBODY TITER (BLOOD TEST)."

My son has had 2 doses, but unfortunately the first dose was 3 days before his first birthday.

Is there a possibility that they will accept this (after all his first dose was just 3 days too early) or will we have to get the blood test done?

@10s4life
Is it possible for engineering students to take on a minor?

@Flyingpony123456 Yes but not common. Wait until after your first year before making that decision and see how the workload is.

Great advice
Thank you

@ngopalan You can also check Flix Bus which is much cheaper than the train. They pick up from UCLA off of Gayley and drop off in a few locations in SD. My son will be taking it when he comes home. Good luck!

@10s4life Can you provide any advice for an engineering student that would like to study abroad? My son, who is a Freshman, is very interested in doing this, but not sure how easy it is given all of the rigorous classes that are required for his degree. THANK YOU!

@jrncyn Good to know, thanks for sharing.

@jrncyn, thanks for the Flixbus info. Sounds like the route must have been revised. My son took it last year from San Diego to LA, but the stop was far away from UCLA, at the train station or bus station, and it took almost an hour to get to campus from the Flixbus drop off. Glad to know it might be a more convenient option now, and a good reminder to check back rather than assume services stay the same.

@10s4life , since you are into tennis, do you have any thoughts on rec tennis vs club tennis (the non-elite club option)?