UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@MomElena Applying or not applying will have no adverse or positive affect on the application.

@pachec Yes they do.

@philo11 Yeah it is odd especially since emails aren’t being accompanied with it. I am still looking into it, apologies for the delay but its midterm season for students.

@Gumbymom @10s4life I keep reading through these forums and I am seeing the repetition of the 60% correlation statistic of getting the alumni email and getting in. I personally have low stats: 4.27 uncapped weighted UC GPA and a 34 ACT composite. However, I still recieved the alumni scholars email. What causes students to fall under the 40% that are eventually waitlisted or rejected? Will my stats prevent me from being considered during the hollisitc rounds? I do have some notable EC’s and my counselors and teachers have praised me for my essays.

Are there any cs majors who received the alumni scholarship email? I don’t recall seeing any.

@LaCampanella Its just a correlation. There isn’t stats cleared for public viewing on what you are asking. There are many reasons why an applicant may be rejected or accepted.

@glasshalffull123 College confidential is a very limited sample of the 100k+ applicant pool. So not seeing any here is not indicative of reality. Also, posters here tend to skew on the higher end of the range so “regents” and “alumni scholars” amongst other things are common on this site.

@10s4life Thank you for replying. I really hate to dig deep and bother you but I am just super curious. As someone who works for the undergraduate office as an ambassador, you wouldn’t have a clue as to why someone with an alumni invite was rejected? Also it is possible that my admission decision was made a while back or is it ongoing until decision day. Again, thank you so much for your precious time.

@LaCampanella Well not quite, I work through the school of engineering. So I am very familiar with L&S admissions, but most of the news I get is through the school of engineering admissions. There is also information that is not publicly disclosed by UCLA and most of the questions regarding the most recent topics would fall in that domain. So I don’t have a specific reason why an alumni scholar invite would be rejected other than typical reasons why someone may be rejected. Decisions are made when the app is read. Your app could have been read first or could be the very last one read by an admissions officer. It could be at any time. But I would suspect reading is done around late february.

@10s4life how many engineering ambassadors are there? When one signs up for a tour they say that they will try to match you with someone who knows about your area of interest. Do they really or do they just find the ambassador that is able to give a tour at that time?

Also, do you know if other departments offer tours?

@lkg4answers There’s a lot. We offer tours Monday-Friday 9-3 starting every hour. Like any job people are assigned shifts. Every single ambassador is trained to know about each engineering major. You can preview the different ambassadors on staff by checking out the Instagram page @uclasamuelitours where bios on each ambassador are posted.

Thank you.

My D does not have an impressive GPA but stellar SAT (1580). She recieved the alumni email. Does recieving the email mean she is ok STATS wise?

@iaminfrontofyou A SAT like that is great. There is always gonna be someone with higher stats, my suggestion is that it’s no use speculating. No one knows for certain and saying someone is ok stats wise can still mean rejection. UCLA has such a high volume it’s very unpredictable. If you’re above the 75th percentile then I say the odds are in your favor.

@10s4life Since my D’s GPA is near 25th percentile, I would assume luck would the have to be involved. The only reason I believe that she may have recieved an invite is b/c of her heavy community involvement and leadership. You are very helpful. Thank you.

@iaminfrontofyou Of course. Don’t lose hope. Someone has to be the 25th percentile of admits. Don’t worry I wasn’t up there either when I was applying.

@10s4life Haha. Just hoping EC’s and essays carry her through. :slight_smile:

DD didn’t get an email (not sure b/c she didn’t set up the account or for other reason), but she logged on to the UCLA portal last night and she saw the invitation to apply for the alumni scholarship. And the deadline to apply is Feb 15.
Does everyone have this on their portal or this is the equivalent of the email?

I am asking also bc you can search for the UCLA alumni scholarship and anyone can apply for it, not just a few “special ones”. And lastly, does the application require to write an essay?

@10s4life - i appreciate all the information you provided on this site. You seem to very kind and patient, answering a lot of repeated questions. Hoping you can give me some insights into this? TIA!

“does the application require to write an essay?”

Yes the Alumni application essay is a (the?) critical component in getting picked out to interview for the scholarship. My S18 has met a few of his application readers (you are allocated to an alumni group who sponsor your particular individual scholarship) who mentioned how his essay stood out and that’s why he was selected. And it’s worth noting that they increased the base scholarship to $1500 per year for 2018-19.

Thanks @Twoin18 for the information!

@Twoin18 do you know the prompt for the essay?

@10s4life - do you have any insight into the scholarship process for Herb Alpert School of Music? Should prospective students apply for the Alumni and Regents scholarships, or is the process differerent for music merit schoarships?