UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@Gumbymom Are you saying that the email invitation to apply for UCLA regents is a glitch? there are many CC thread in the past years about people receive similar invitations.

@StevenToCollege No, I am not able to submit it. It says ā€œComplete your Conditional Applications to Applyā€ with a link, but when I click on that link it takes me back to the general application which Iā€™ve already submitted for the alumni scholarship.

Like below:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/1735973-regents-ucla-p2.html
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/1611133-ucla-regents-invitation-notification.html
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/1454044-regents-scholarship-invitation.html

seems like a weird glitch, if only certain people got it

@letshope: I am saying that invitation to apply is a glitch according to @10s4life the UCLA Forum Champion and a UCLA student ambassador and passing on the information since this has been brought up several times on this particular thread. He has the inside scoop.

Edited: Also the links are from 2013-2015. Do you see any information regarding Regents applications from last year?

@Gumbymom

I did not get the Alumni scholarship email a couple of weeks ago but got the Regents email today. First of all, does this mean Iā€™m likely to get admitted? Also, I have to fill out the general application AND answer the supplemental question, correct?

Sorry for all the questions, one more: the general application asks for a letter of reference: should this be a teacher? It mentions it can be a ā€œteacher sponsorā€ but doesnā€™t specifically say ā€œteacher,ā€ which is why Iā€™m asking. Thanks!

@MrPepe please refer to the above posts: #332, #344

@Gumbymom

I saw those posts already, but Iā€™m still confused. Is there any point to me filling out the general application now? I know some people who did NOT get this email today, so Iā€™m wondering if this means anything as to my possible acceptance later on.

@MrPepe

Does the email that you received today look like the following?

We would like to encourage you to apply for the UCLA Regents Scholarship for the 2015-16 academic year.

The UCLA Regents Scholarship represents one of the highest honors awarded to entering students at the
University of California and offers a merit award of $2,000 per year for four years. Scholars who have
additional financial need, based upon a review of their FAFSA, are awarded up to their demonstrated need
with additional scholarships and grants.

Please note that this invitation to apply for the Regents Scholarship does not constitute an offer of admission.

Regents Scholarship applicants will be evaluated and selected by the UCLA Faculty Committee on Honors, Awards and Prizes.

Admissions decisions will be released and scholars will be notified of their award in late March.

If you wish to be considered for the UCLA Regents Scholarship, please submit the application along with
a letter of recommendation, from a teacher or counselor, by February 13, 2015.

@StevenToCollege yep, exactly that except for different dates obviously.

@MrPepe: According to the many posters, the system is not allowing anyone to submit. I would call admissions tomorrow for verification. Seems to me that many applicants are receiving the email and Regents is usually for the top 1-2% of applicants. To eligible for Regents, you need to complete the FASFA by March 2 so maybe this is a reminder instead of an invite?

As a prediction for an acceptance, I cannot tell you.

@Gumbymom I personally called UCLA, FAFSA is not required to get regents.

@letsshope: According to the UCLA website for Financial aid and Scholarships, it states the following:

**How Do I Apply for UCLA Scholarships?

Applicants to UCLA are encouraged to apply for scholarships managed by Financial Aid and Scholarships by completing the scholarship section of their admissions application. Scholarships are awarded to students who meet the specific criteria established by donors, which may include a variety of factors such as studentā€™s academic achievements, ethnicity, volunteer work and professional interests. In addition to completing the scholarships section on the application for admission, students must complete and submit the FAFSA or the Dream Act Application by the March 2nd deadline for the year they will be enrolling.**

Regents scholarships can also have a need component which would include more scholarship money so the FASFA would be required for any additional money.

Also I do not work in admissions, so I am going by what @10s4life stated about the Regents invite glitch. In the past, there was an invite to apply for Regents and some posters did mention it last year also.

Anytime you have a question, I always suggest you contact admissions to confirm the information. Schools do change their policies and unless you have a direct connection to the school like @10s4life, the information could be hearsay.

I called admission a while ago, to get regent status, FAFAS is not required, a few of UCs gave me the same answer. But beyond regent scholarship, if a student has need based requirements, then FAFSA is required.

Hi guys, I read through some of this. Can someone post the email you are getting. A few weeks ago there was a known glitch where portals would have access to the Regents App. That was since corrected. As far as I know UCLA does not have a Regents app and those who get it are notified at the time of admission. That may have changed if an email from UCLA inciting to apply has been sent. However, nothing has been anounced to student employees. Your best bet is to call UCLA tomorrow before 4pm when they close. If you canā€™t submit then Iā€™m almost certain it is related to the technical glitch I talked about earlier.

I think 2 years ago it was an email similar to the one students got today. You are asked to apply. It is not like UCSB where you just get Regents or UCB where they pick a few to interview. I think UCLA is that you apply if you are interested - but have to be asked to apply first.

Moderators Note:
For most of UCLAs existence Regents was given to those at time of admission. There have been few exceptions but in general thatā€™s been the trend. This is the first year there have been substantial issues with Regents apps on the scholarship portal. What might be the case is people are invited to apply but the invitation that got sent today was accidentally sent to all applicants since some are still reporting submit buttons arenā€™t working.
-10s4life

This is the email I received:

I would like to encourage you to apply for the UCLA Regents Scholarship for the 2019-20 academic year.

The UCLA Regents Scholarship represents one of the highest honors awarded to entering students at the University of California and offers a merit award of $2,000 per year for four years. Scholars who have additional financial need, based upon a review of their FAFSA, could receive up to their demonstrated need with additional scholarships and grants.

Please note that this invitation to apply for the Regents Scholarship does not constitute an offer of admission. UCLAā€™s Faculty Committee on Honors, Awards and Prizes will evaluate Regents Scholarships applicants and select the recipients. Regents Scholarship winners notifications are included on their Provisional Award Letter (PAL) in late March with the release of Admission Decisions.

To apply for the UCLA Regents Scholarship, please visit the UCLA Prospective Undergraduate Scholarship Portal to create your application profile, answer the supplemental question and submit your application by March 1, 2019.

Best wishes in the continuing admission process. We look forward to receiving your UCLA Regents Scholarship Application!

@10s4life Yes, the email is exactly like the post above.

@sammycp If you can submit the app then itā€™s prob correct and legit. However if you canā€™t submit then it is still an issue. To make certain please call UCLA Undergrad Admissions to confirm. I donā€™t work with scholarships so I do not know for certain as of now.

Daughter received both Alumni and Regents invitation. Regents email is like the one posted above.