UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

I am new to this forum, my daughter is a high school senior. She is interested pre-med, however i don’t see any major called pre-med. I am looking for some guidance for choosing the major considering future medicine, i appreciate any guidance and feedback.

@SankarM Welcome to UCLA on CC! Premed is actually not a major at any school but rather a track of courses that satisfy the pre reqs for med school. Any major is acceptable for med school (English is a top major actually) all you need to do is take the prereqs. Life science majors will cover the classes as a part of the major so their isn’t extra stuff to take. UCLA has lots of majors in the life science division. More majors can be found on the UCLA website.

@coffee1999 what were your ECs/awards like? i’m just afraid i might have too many ECs or not related enough to engineering?

Hi! I’m currently a high school senior and looking into majoring in music education. My abilities, instrumental wise, but I’m afraid that my academics are not enough. My current gpa is a 3.8, with ACT at 24 and SAT at 1190 (I am retaking it though, I had a really bad day that day). I’ve been playing the clarinet since 6th grade and still play to this day. As for extracurricular activities, I’ve been involved in marching band for four years (drum major for 2 years), I’ve activitely participated in my church youth group and is spending my second year as a youth officer, and also involved in our school’s business pathway. I was also given the position as a manager at our student operated credit union for a year. This previous summer I’ve decided to be more independent and get my self a job, and eventually ended up being a barista at Starbucks. Is there anyway I can improve my chances to get into UCLA

daughter attends block semester high school. so 2 weeks ago she received 4 more official grades for her senior year. she plans to report them but these grades-even with all As- bring down her gpa significantly. when UCLA reveiws aps do they take into consideration that students who can report senior grades are at a disadvantage-especially since only 8 can be weighted? im hoping when they compare aps they only consider grades /gpa through summer of 11th grade.

@StacysMom24 Block schedule schools are reported as semester schools. Meaning those grades are reported as “fall semester”. Block 2 will be fall semester. Blocks 3 and 4 are spring. Check with your counselor for correct reporting.

Senior year grades are not counted for admission. But UCLA reserves the right to revoke admission of senior year grades drop from the usual trent of the applicant even if they meet the senior year 3.0 UW min.

@eaud26 I was actually a clarinet performance major at UCLA way back when. I can tell you that, for music majors, it’s mostly 100% about your audition, and the school of music has an acceptance rate of about 20%. Best of luck.

Hi, I’m a junior in high school who’s interested in going to UCLA to major in psychology but I have some questions. Will it affect me if I only take 2 AP classes because I come from a high school in a low income neighborhood that doesn’t offer many AP classes? What are some tips for writing the personal insight questions and what specific qualities and traits do admissions officers want to see in an applicant? Also, what is a competitive SAT score for potiental psychology majors?

Hi! I applied to UCLA as a Freshman, however I took two years off after high school to focus on a water foundation of mine. I was the Valedictorian at my HS in 2017, and then did not attend college those two years, but worked, and am applying for next fall. Do I still have a chance to be admitted?

Also I am OOS, and my ACT was a 30 composite.

@KTJordan78 Wow okay. What did you play for your audition? I was thinking of doing Schumann’s Fantasy Piece, Brahms Sonata 2, Saint Saens’ Sonata, Weber’s Concertino or Mozart’s clarinet concerto.

@eaud26 I honestly don’t remember as it was a long time ago, but I think I played some Weber Concertino and some Mozart. Best of luck!

is anyones UCLA application status portal log in not working? where it asks for last name, DOB, application number, etc. Mine says record not found even though I received an email saying my application has been received…

@lzd1234 yes. my daughters is working. but no new info is posted. she got email today too. the portal only has a copy of the email. nothing else. im guessing it will be accessible soon or maybe check data input?

What are my chances of being accepted? My unweighted is 4.0 and weighted is 4.5. I took the SAT and got a 1400, which is super low, but is this going to cause me to be rejected? My extracurriculars involved coding an iOS app, running my own tutoring website, leading a nonprofit organization to help the homeless by providing them with meals, leading a Bollywood dance team, working with a tech company to create a film to inspire young women to join STEM, and volunteering at a nursing home/food bank. These were my major ones. I have 5 APs as a senior rn. My intended major is physiological sciences. And my essays were pretty good. One of them consisted of me talking about how my parents transformed our apartment’s dining room into a bedroom to pay for rent because we couldn’t afford a two bedroom. This is one of my top schools and I’m scared my SAT score is too low and that they’ll reject me; it’s getting more competitive each year to get accepted.

@babushki , FWIW, on a certain college ranking web site UCLA’s SAT score range is 1160-1470 so there’s probably no need to worry.

@babushki: Below is some UC Statistical Data from 2018 and @LMK5 that range you have listed is outdated. Below is the current SAT score ranges for UCLA.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above (capped weighted) and not major specific:
UCLA: 47.2%

2018 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCLA: 4.23

2018 Data:
UCLA: 1340-1540

The College of Letters and Sciences does not admit by major so you will be competing with all applicants within that college.
* LOS ANGELES

•   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, AP/IBHL exam scores

•   Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed.

Best of luck.

Do UCs care about subject tests for College of Letters and Sciences? I have only Math II score that I can send. Is that fine? ACT:34, UC GPA:4.6

@antontupai I talked to an admissions officer about that, and subject tests are optional! I am only sending a chem test

@antontupai @columbialions21 For L&S a subject Test would be value added to the app. So it can only help you. If the score is bad no need to send it. The story is different for engineering. Best of luck!