UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@lakergirl6232: Here is the link and if he did not get the email invite, he can apply but the odds are not with him

https://prospective-ugstudents-ucla.academicworks.com/

@19parent No that does not generate an email. As noted in my post the emails are actual invitations from the school for the very top 1-2% of applicants.

@ohnocollege123 Well letā€™s think about it. Regents is for the top 1-2% of applicants. Thousands of students will get admitted. Does that make you automatically out then?

@lakergirl6232 Hi- it may be an issue of the wrong portal. So itā€™s not the application portal; you should have received an email to set up another portal (I helped my daughter set hers up yesterday when I realized this was ocase). On the prior page, someone posted this link, but Iā€™d double check your email first :slight_smile: -

https://prospective-ugstudents-ucla.academicworks.com/opportunities/17

@10s4life
What if I got the alumni scholarship email, but not regents? What is the possibility of acceptance then?

@peachgirI The admit rate is 14% for UCLA. I canā€™t predict the admit rate given something like that. I said this many posts ago, alumni scholarship email invitees have about a 60% correlation of getting in. Note itā€™s not 60% get in. Itā€™s just thatā€™s the calculated correlation seen from the data. At this point my best advice is to enjoy hs and not worry and obsess over chances as it is out of everyoneā€™s control. Decisions come out very soon and that will be the answer to all these chancing questions. In the end I can almost guarantee that no matter what school you attend youā€™ll learn a lot, have a great time and have a very successful life. Some advice I have is that grades and test scores donā€™t define who you are. Iā€™ve said this a lot but Iā€™ll repeat it, what I love most about UCLA isnā€™t the academics, nor is it the chance to say I go to UCLA. Itā€™s all the friends Iā€™ve made and the memrories Iā€™ll have the rest of my life. Best of luck everyone. Please continue to reach out if you have questions. Iā€™d really prefer answering questions about student life and academics instead of chancing as I do not believe that is helpful at this stage.

Hey guys I was wondering when the decisions came outā€¦Iā€™m insane so I went on past threads and picked up that its usually the third Friday in March a few minutes after 8 (Iā€™m in NY) because the site crashes. So this year it would probably be on 3/15 or am I completely wrong?

@10s4life i was wondering if an admitted student has the opportunity to stay at UCLA for a weekend prior deciding to SIR

@musiciangoaler Bruin Day is a great event that is very well run. Think of it like college Disneyland. That helps many people decide. However there are a few overnight stay programs available to select admits. Regents, out of state, some ethnic groups, and a lgbt one. I was part of the out of state host program and in that one students volunteer to host 2-3 oos students for a night where there are activities prior to Bruin day.

@10s4life Hi! I was wondering if youā€™re admitted, do you they give you a list of host possible programs you can join if youā€™re oos? Or do you have to look for one and apply?

@upennperuvian If you are OOS then youā€™ll be sent an email about the over night stay program for oos students. Its not a competitive process for it. If you match the programs for other ones then you may be sent an email on those. But they arenā€™t exclusive to oos students only.

@10s4life Hi, I just found this in my email and have been reading up on the discussion about it. Just to be clear, the so-called regents email that you guys are referencing had a title of something like ā€œ[NAME], You are invited to apply for UCLA Regents Scholarshipā€ and content like

"Dear [NAME],

I would like to encourage you to apply for the UCLA Regents Scholarship for the 2019-20 academic year.

The UCLA Regents Scholarship represents one of the highest honors awarded to entering students at the University of California and offers a merit award of $2,000 per year for four years. Scholars who have additional financial need, based upon a review of their FAFSA, could receive up to their demonstrated need with additional scholarships and grants.

Please note that this invitation to apply for the Regents Scholarship does not constitute an offer of admission. UCLAā€™s Faculty Committee on Honors, Awards and Prizes will evaluate Regents Scholarships applicants and select the recipients. Regents Scholarship winners notifications are included on their Provisional Award Letter (PAL) in late March with the release of Admission Decisions.

To apply for the UCLA Regents Scholarship, please visit the UCLA Prospective Undergraduate Scholarship Portal to create your application profile, answer the supplemental question and submit your application by March 1, 2019.

Best wishes in the continuing admission process. We look forward to receiving your UCLA Regents Scholarship Application!"

You said that regents is for top 1-2%. This has me a bit confused. Does this mean that top 1-2% of applicants will get the scholarship or the top 1-2% are invited to apply for it?

Thanks for you time,

• caliboy15

Oh, another question. What is the alumni scholarship? Is it weird that I was emailed about regents but not the alumni one?

@caliboy15 First sentence third paragraph of the email answers your first question. And no itā€™s not weird cause they are seperate committees that choose. Top 1-2% of applicants will get the scholarship. Not all recipients will end up choosing UCLA.

@10slife sorry to bombard you with questions. in your post #384 about scholarships, you said " you can expect to eventually be admitted" if you receive this email. is there like a rough percentage correlation between receiving the email and being admitted? iā€™m debating on whether or not to tell my mother that I pretty much got into UCLA and donā€™t what to get her hopes up if iā€™m understanding this wrong.

@caliboy15 there isnā€™t an official number but itā€™s pretty much 100%. Of course there are always exceptions.

Hi @10s4life is it possible for you to please chance me for my UCLA decision? Idk if you are able to do that or not.

@01pabs I donā€™t chance because I donā€™t make admission decisions. Itā€™s also very late now to ā€œchanceā€. The only real application chancing has is to see if the school is realistic when building an app list. Best of luck.

Alright thank you @10s4life. Another quick question though. Does being gay help your admission chances at UCLA? Also not sure if you know the answer to this but I do know that a lot of other schools put heavy weight on it for diversity at the school. I indicated it in one of my essays but not really sure if it would make any difference.

ā€œTop 1-2% of applicants will get the [Regents] scholarship. Not all recipients will end up choosing UCLA.ā€

Just to be clear that its a lot more selective than top 1-2% of applicants (which would mean 1000-2000+ offers per year). The website (https://prospective-ugstudents-ucla.academicworks.com/opportunities/17) states that ā€œUCLA awards up to 100 Regents scholarships each year to entering freshmen and transfer students and currently has a total of 450 Regents Scholars enrolled at UCLA.ā€

I think @10s4life probably meant to say Regents is offered to the top 1-2% of admitted students (150-300 offers), and I suspect the number is actually towards the lower end of that range. Alumni scholarships are offered to 150 students per year, with unclaimed scholarships offered to runners up, and I think the acceptance rate is well over 50%, although that is somewhat different because the scholarships are not awarded until after the interviews in early April and you presumably would decline the interview if you had already decided to go elsewhere.