UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@10s4life On my UC app, I didnt indicate that I was planning to take AP tests this year, but I am going to. Is it looked down upon if I do not indicate that I am going to be taking AP exams?

@10s4life What does ucla think of applicants with high grades but low sat? Iā€™ve it looks like grade inflation but my class rank is pretty good (top 3% of my class) and nearly all my courses are honors or ap?

*Iā€™ve heard

@letsgorams AP exams are not used for admission purposes. Just for course placement.

@10s4life @Gumbymom UCLA admissions Tweeted about getting ready for college signing day. Could this be a hint? What are the chances that this Friday they would begin? On pins & needles.

@college2019bound No UCLA is just the site for national signing day this year. Michelle Obama will be on campus for it. Def not this Friday

Thanks! Iā€™ll settle down for another week or two. :wink: @10s4life

What about my answer?

@Mo11ymac hard to tell without reading your app. But you need high in both. Academic achievement is the most important category and that includes both the gpa and sat

Thanks! Kinda a bummer tho that the years of work put into getting good grades could be cancelled out by one test

@Mo11ymac I have listened to many UCLA admissions officers speak before. They have said that if they admitted soley based on GPA and/or SAT scores, they could fill up studentā€™s names in an excel sheet and be over with admissions in an hour. UCLA recieves so many applicants that now they are forced to view applicants hollistically instead of just looking at us as a bunch of numbers. If your essays really shine into who you are and your ecā€™s speak to your character, you have the same shot as everyone else in getting in. Admissions into UCLA, as per what a previous CC poster stated, is like a 4-legged stool; all components are necessary but having a few missing nuts and bolts wonā€™t knock you down.

Of course I am just a senior waiting to (hopefully) get in this month, but everything I have stated above is the consensus of what I have heard many people say and what many people have told me. Donā€™t sweat and best of luck :slight_smile:

@10s4life

You mentioned that AP exams are not used for admission purposes, just for course placement.
However, as stated on their websites, AP scores are one of the criteria that UCLA and Berkeley use to select their freshman classes.

UCLA
Passing scores on AP or IB exams
http://www.admission.ucla.edu/Prospect/Adm_fr/fradms.htm

Berkeley
Your scores on AP or IB exams
https://admissions.berkeley.edu/freshmen-requirements

@StevenToCollege a senior official in enrollment management told me AP exams arenā€™t. I trust what the person told me.

@10s4life
If I was selected for the additional supplemental questions, that means Iā€™m on the line, correct? Almost like a 50/50?

@Mo11ymac for your information:

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, AP/IBHL exam scores
  • Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed. For the College of Letters and Science, the applicant's major is not considered during the review process. The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science admits students by declared major, with more emphasis on science and math programs. The School of Nursing also places more emphasis on science and math programs and requires the submission of an additional supplemental application. The School of the Arts and Architecture; Herb Alpert School of Music; and the School of Theater, Film and Television admit students by declared major (within the school), and put more emphasis on special talents through a review of portfolios and/or auditions, which are the most significant admission factors for these schools.

@Gumbymom Even though college of l&s doesnā€™t admit based on major, is it possible the applying for a major that ties into your ECā€™s could help build your character?

@mo11ymac: Having ECā€™s related to your intended major can help strengthen your application.

@gumbymom I havenā€™t really done any ECā€™s related to my intended major (biochemistry) however, I doubled up on science. Iā€™m taking IB Biology and IB Chemistry together, does this strengthen my application?

There are multiple people telling me that they have been accepted to UCLA in the last couple of days. Has anyone else heard this? Nothing on my sonā€™s portal.

@boiler up! Have not heard about any recent acceptances.