UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@Nhatrang Then prob not today. Again that was just a reumor I heard for UCSD

I have an admissions question about UCLA (apologies if it seems a little naive).

It is my understanding that UCLA does not consider the major for admission to the College of Letters and Science, and I was just curious as to what is the point of taking all the ā€˜relatedā€™ AP classes, ECā€™s, awards etc to the major you want to study, if it is not considered during the admissions process?

The advice from the high schools is to have a strong academic background, varied, but also particularly strong in the subjects most closely related to the major you want to study. What is the point in that if they donā€™t consider the major when looking at the application?

@10s4life ā€“ Thanks for keeping us all informed.

I just found this really great article written after the students applied last year to UC failed to get into most UC schools. Truly worth the five-minute read.

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2018/03/26/reports-circulate-even-more-difficult-year-be-admitted-leading

@MLG2019 I read that article you posted. It is very interesting. I was surprised that the counselors interviewed in the piece were surprised! Any counselor telling a student to use UC Davis and Cal Poly SLO as ā€˜safetiesā€™ is giving bad advice imo.

From what Iā€™ve seen and heard, advising students that ANY of the UCā€™s are ā€˜safetiesā€™ is bad, out-of-date advice imo!

Will the decisions be out tonight???!

@seanm4325 no, either next friday or the following friday (likely next friday)

@MLG2019 Interesting article. Not sure what it means for OOS students? Also, interesting to note is how this will change admissions at top schools across the country.

Many high school teachers and counselors are unaware or behind on how tough UC and college admissions in general are. The best advice when looking for advice is usually doing the research yourself rather than trust a teacher.

As expected UCD came out today.

As expected, i got in (hopefully that didnt sound cocky ?)

@letsgorams: UCD? Or UCLA?

Will the UCLA or UCSD decisions come out today??

Will anything come out today besides Davis?

@liaaa if I had to guess I would say next Friday for both, I see no strong indication that UCSD or UCLA decisions will come out today.

Can everyone see their majors in the UCLA portal? Mine is gone and I am spooked out.

@koreanbunbunny Neither of my sonsā€™ portals show their majors. Did the portals ever show them? I donā€™t recall now!

Major is gone for me and a couple of my friends as well.

@koreanbunbunny where would it be? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen that

@readthetealeaves UCD