UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@thissuccs @akcha1801 Discovering engineering emails are sent out ~a week before decisions are released. They are sent to the top engineering applicants (no matter where they are from). Although the email does not say anything about admission, it is very rare to get the email only to end up rejected.

@collegemom111111: This discussion comes up every year and every year it is shown to be false since applicants get into both schools.

@letsgorams
That means if decisions are really coming out on the 15th, we could expect them by tomorrow

@thissuccs I would like all applicants, and I am too, to err on the side of caution in speculating what is happening when. I do feel that engineering applicants should get the email this week, but as of decision day, no one knows.

@letsgorams itā€™s sent to all engineering admitted students not just top

@gzza73 no it is top. @10s4life never got one and he is in EE.

@letsgorams post #310

ā€œ@gzza73 Fast track is very small. Iā€™m not a part of it. Itā€™s basically engineering regents. Not sure about discover engineering invites. Everyone admitted to engineering will get invited at time of admission to Bruin day and discover engineering. Discover engineering is an awesome event and I highly recommend. I flew to both Bruin day and discover engineering even though I had already committed and found it totally worth it.ā€

@gzza73 Yes, all engineering students are invited when admitted. But a seperate email is sent out before decisions to top engineering students.

does anyone know when decisions will come out for everyone? not just for engineering students

@taloolab I just checked the UCLA website and it definitely say decisions are coming out ā€œmid-Marchā€, not late March!

@Twoin18 Thank you for the scholarship explanation!

I wish UCLA would not send out these discover engineering emails, especially since decisions are around the corner anyway. To me, itā€™s just more mind games. If you donā€™t get one, then itā€™s added stress for the week. Thereā€™s already been a round of alumni scholarship emails. Enough already.

If Iā€™m not mistaken I read that the discoving engineering emails arenā€™t necessarily sent before admission. Is that correct @10s4life

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody on this thread applied to Musical Theatre? I was asked to audition, and it went pretty well. If not, are any (already) admitted musical theatre people on here? What are some signs that point to admission?

@glasshalffull123 The discover engineering emails arenā€™t mind games they function as engineering likely letters. Ivies do it too. UCSD also does it by sending engineering info out to admits as well without specifically saying theyā€™ll get in.

@gzza73 Yeah they are sent to a select group of engineering admits before admission. They take the place of the old likely letters. Everyone else gets it at admission. They have consistently been sent right before admissions in past cycles.

Whatā€™s the purpose in sending these ā€œdiscover engineeringā€ emails / likely letters? If they are typically sent only 1 week or a few days before the real decision release dateā€¦ why do it? Iā€™m seriously curious as to what function it serves?

@SoCalPops Gets top applicants to really think about UCLA engineering.

As far as I know, Ivyā€™s dont send out likely letters a week before decisions. It gives a few days head start to plan a trip out? Makes little sense to me

@10s4life thanks. That makes sense. ā€œYouā€™re special, please enroll here amongst your many choicesā€

@10s4life, Are the letters for discover engineering out?