UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@letsgorams Thank you. I missed that. Was that for this cycle? Or for previous years? If it’s for this cycle then I guess that is problematic. Can you imagine UCLA with their 100K applications trying to look at the testing locations for of its applicants! Yikes… If the indictment names names (which it does) that should help weed those folks out but none the less I hope rich and or celebrity cheats do not derail the process for all the truly hard working kids and their families in learning of admission decisions.

Scandal may be a good thing. Admission process is in need of a major overhaul. Feels like a lotto.

@apparently22 Well this scam has been going on since 2011ish but I wouldn’t be surprised if a handful of applicants are caught as a part of this investigation. You’re right though, going through 100k applicants when there are a handful of a number of days left before decisions is really going to be something. UCLA has released a statement that they are going to be conducting internal investigations. I would hate it if someone who cheated got in over someone who put in their honest work.

Cool. Maybe this cheating scandal will hopefully open up a few slots. :slight_smile:
For private universities, “cheating” has been going on forever and has been legitimized. It’s their program and money, and people of wealth (e.g. our POTUS) will always be able to buy their way in. It’s even written into Harvard’s admission policy. But this is a big foul for public universities like UCLA.

Saw this msg in UCI class of 2023 post on CC :

Decisions for UCLA will be out on Friday 3/15, UCSB Tuesday 3/19, UCB 3/28
https://■■■■■■■■■■■■/uc-freshman-application-timeline/#decisions

@Suave123 It says likely, but not confirmed. The website is just going off of historic trends.

Is it safe to assume that if discovering engineering emails aren’t sent today, decisions aren’t coming out this Friday? Or do the engineering emails normally go out throughout the week leading up? (I know decisions will come out when they come out, just good info to know)

@Berrymaq no I know.

thats screwed up, but what can you do? money runs everything these days.

@10s4life Any word as to whether or not the admissions team will be looking over apps for potential scam?

The website is right about Berkeley and Santa Barbara as those have been confirmed. UCLA and San Diego would both come out on Friday based on trends, and as for Irvine, it would likely come on Thursday or Friday at the earliest based on when it has been released historically.

@letsgorams It is too early to tell. The scam is mainly isolated in UCLA’s case to the athletics issue which is easy to pinpoint. Of course any investigation is confidential and will only be shared on a need to know basis which would not include me. An investigation isn’t limited to decisions being released as UCLA reserves the right to rescind admitted students and once you are enrolled you are subject to the student code of conduct. For the vast majority of people the indictments don’t affect them as it is likely a very small proportion of the UCLA applicant pool versus a smaller college like Yale.

What time of the day will decisions be released? Midnight? Afternoon? Evening?

@10s4life I haven’t been on this site before and I apologize in advance for not scrolling through the many pages. Just wondering if certain UC’s like UCLA notify everyone on the same day or is it rolling admission? Seems UCSC is rolling and we were curious about UCSB, UCI, UCSD & UCB as well as UCLA. All the portals just say starting on a certain date or by 3/28 etc.

@HLT1967 I’ve looked into this and found that UCI is the only one out of those that does rolling admission

@HLT1967 UCLA releases at one time.

5pm pst

My friend’s counselor told her it is going to be March 15, 5pm. I hope she’s right!

I still haven’t recieved all of my decisions but was just wondering how I would decide which university to go to. I know this is a bit off-topic but what are the factors that you guys will take into account when choosing a university?

location/academics/the university community