UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

But I heard ucb and ucla take into consideration uncapped weighted gpa along with unweighted and capped weighted gpas.

Hi, also freaking out, just realized today I forgot to add my freshman year english class, got an A. Submitted the form with the addition and called the admissions office, but got a student who just said sent it online. So afraid this will cause my application to not be considered :frowning:

@Suave123 That’s correct. That’s also why I said “most” rather than “all” UCs

@Suave123 look up your school here to see what is given an honors GPA bump by UCs and CSUs. https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist

@10s4life If someone is admitted to UCLA L&S and completes the lower division courses, are they automatically in their major or do they need to apply to get into it?

@lkg4answers You must have a minimum GPA in order to get in. The GPA varies by major. It can be as high as 3.3 in Biz econ for example.

@collegemom111111 what counts as Honors is a sore point at many HSs. At my kid’s HS, a top-notched school, the only Honors class that counts for the extra weight is Honors Pre-Calculus. I’ve seen some schools not as good have the extra weight for Honors Chem, Honors Physics and Honors English 11 and 12.

@ProfessorPlum168 each HS has to submit courses and validate rigor and how it meets the UC criteria to first be a UC approved course and second be considered for a GPA bump. The way it was explained to me is that the UC/CSU honors bump goes to what would normally be considered a junior level (meaning 3rd year of HS) course. Recently UCs have brought the criteria down to include advanced sophomore level courses. For the most part, the UCs will not give an added bump to an honors course if it is also offered as an AP at that school. There are exceptions, especially in sciences, but I believe the HS justifies that their advance course sequence would lead to an honors course in junior year and that honors course has the rigor to deserve a GPA bump. The onus is on the HS to fight for the GPA bump. https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/guide/update-your-a-g-list/writing-a-g-courses/

Does UCLA do Regents like Berkeley? If so, in what time frame do they come out?

@herewego76 UCLA will let you know at time of admission. You are basically waiting until then. The only thing you may get is there is a correlation of getting in if you receive an invite to apply for an alumni scholarship. Note this is not causation. Also Engineering does send likely letters inviting someone to Discover Engineering which happens about mid march. Please don’t ask when they come out as those are sent out when they are sent out and aren’t disclosed :slight_smile:

Has anyone else received a request for supplement information? Is that a good sign if you have?

When did you receive it?

@SeniorSzn This morning! What does it mean?

@nerdmd What is the request for supplemental information asking for specifically?

@StudentofLife7
“We would like to give you the opportunity to provide additional information about yourself. This is an optional supplemental component to our review process that may assist our readers in evaluating your application.”

@nerdmd

How are your stats and ECs?
What’s your intended major?

@StevenToCollege
ECs are great! average SAT score but above average GPA.
Biochemistry/Pre-med

@nerdmd It is given to borderline applicants. Usually those that are borderline that have insufficient application info to make a decision or that there is a noted hardship will trigger a supplement. Bio Chem is in L&S so major isn’t taken into account in admissions.

@10s4life
So is the request a good sign?

I would look at it this way
 at least you’re being looked at. If you were thrown in the reject pile, they wouldn’t even ask. :slight_smile:

You should take it as a good sign if you got the questionnaire! the augmented review page on the UC website say that only up to 15% of a UC applicant pool may be sent the questionnaire and that it should be sent to students “who who fall in the margins for admission, but whose initial application yields an incomplete picture of their qualifications, or presents extraordinary circumstances that invite further comment. Applicants, for example, might demonstrate special talents, potential, or accomplishments in specific areas that promise to contribute to the educational environment of the campus, but may require further explication.”

Also had a friend get something similar at Berkeley last year and was ultimately accepted. It basically means they like what they see and they want to admit you but are looking for something to just push you right over that line that separates the admitted/rejected pools. I got the questionnaire yesterday evening and was extremely surprised. My stats are farrrr below their averages, so I think it was my extracurriculars that impressed them since I was heavily involved in hs. I think they also wanted more info on why my academic performance was less than perfect bc I was pretty vague on that in the additional comments.