UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@Bear23 I am a current applicant so I am not completely knowledgeable. I also recieved a similar email although my stats are not stellar. From what I read on the UCLA 2022 thread, the alumni committee uses a software to judge applicants the way the admissions committee would. Alumni and admissions committee are in not in contact during this process. The alumni committee reviews applications holistically and judges who is most likely to be admitted, and then sends invites to those people.

So since I didn’t get the email there’s a high chance I didn’t get in?

@collegbound2023 Of course not. A very few amount of applicants receive the email, and quite a few even end up bring waitlisted or denied. Majority of applicants admitted will most likely have not recieved the email.

The alumni scholarship selection is somewhat more tilted towards leadership and community involvement whereas Regents is more focused on stellar academics (though the selected scholars will likely have plenty of both). So for example being senior class president would position you more strongly for the alumni scholarship whereas a perfect ACT score would position you better for the Regents scholarship (to take my kids school as an example).

But both only go to a tiny fraction of admitted students. Getting invited to apply correlates with getting in, but not getting invited doesn’t mean you won’t get in.

Is there a stronger correlation for regents invite than alumni?

My uncle works as an admissions officer and he said decisions come out next week, probably on Friday. Good luck everyone! If you don’t get in it is NOT the end of the world.

@memelover123 Regents means you’re essentially in. Alumni invite is just a positive sign.

I guess it keeps getting buried but if go to post 294 the post has the answer everyone’s been wondering about for the decision release date. There’s literally pages and pages of speculation when the answer is right there. No need to keep wondering. Also look at the date the post was posted. The release date has nothing to do with yield protection, playing with applicants, UCLA being slow, admissions scandals, or anything else that could be a conspiracy. Enjoy the weekend and best of luck. Whether you come to UCLA or another school you’ll all have an amazing college experience. Remember there’s a whole lot more to life than grades and test scores and classes.

For those too lazy to go to the page here’s the link to post 294 http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/2085128-ucla-class-of-2023-discussion-p20.html

On behalf of everyone
 thank you. I’m sure it’s not easy having to repeat the same thing over and over. Hope you have a good day/weekend :slight_smile:

@10s4life How did you find out Discover Engineering would not be out this week like how it was in years prior?

@Twoin18 So the Alumni office looks at ECs and essays more than stats? To an extent I think academic stats matter, but I know there are really qualified (1500+ SAT 4.0+ GPA) people who didn’t get that email. Why is that?

@peachgirl Remember that the alumni scholars and Regents scholars don’t overlap, so the alumni scholars club are trying to target different set of people. The initial list is generated by admissions based on some search criteria set by the ASC because ASC don’t have access to the UC applications themselves (they just see what you write in the scholarship application). What those criteria are is impossible to determine, but you can imagine that the indirect nature of the list selection makes it slightly unpredictable (hence why the correlation with admission is not perfect).

I will say that some brilliant people with the grades and scores you mention won’t get admitted, especially if their ECs are limited and they are applying to engineering or CS. One of the NMFs at my kids school last year was in that situation, and was rejected by Berkeley and UCLA (she went to UCSD).

So let’s say decision come out.Do you receive an email saying Congratulations or in order to see your status you have to log into portal

@Memy123 they will send an email saying that there has been an update on your portal, but this email usually comes out about an hour after the portal has been updated. On the portal it will say you have an update, which you then click and then will have your decision.

@Twoin18 Then are you saying that the selection process was more holistic than stats? since the admission office select people based on a list that ASC thinks the students will be admitted? Also I have a friend with better stats (just SAT, not GPA) and nearly equal amount of extracurricular. The only difference we have is the different essays, the fact that I did sports one year and he has stronger stats.

@Bear23 ASC is more holistic (less stats driven) than general admissions. It’s looking for leadership, and though most if not all of their list will have good stats too, some people on it won’t necessarily have strong enough stats to be admitted to the most competitive majors. ASC is not selecting specifically for people they think will be admitted, for example they might not take major into account (although I don’t know that). And ASC doesn’t see your UC essays.

So DS has (in my biased parental opinion) pretty good academic stats and EC’s and leadership roles, but he hasn’t heard about any possible scholarships. We are OOS - does that make a difference? He’s got a 36 ACT, 1560 SAT, 4.3 WGPA (3.89 UW), ranked 19/700 in his class, National Merit Finalist, took 16 AP classes, etc. But our high school (in Arkansas) didn’t offer any help or suggestions on how to showcase his academic or EC info, so he just filled out the on-line application and put in everything he could think of. I feel like we might have missed something

@lisalisae Well, on the application there were boxes where you put your Volunteer Work, Extracurricular Activities, and Job Experience. Considering your son put some things he has done in those boxes, they will have seen his ECs/leadership. Grades and awards are also just filled out in boxes.

How competitive is mechanical engineering for ucla? Will a SAT of 1440 (math 790) and gpa of 4.3 be enough considering last year’s admission stats? (Btw gpa of 4.3 is nearly max we can get because my school doesn’t have honor classes during freshman and sophomore year as an IB school)

UCLA always releases decisions on a friday, and if you do a search you will that administrative offices are closed on Friday, March 29 in observance of Cesar Chavez holiday. Does this apply to admissions offices? If so they have no choice but to release it on Friday, March 22, otherwise it will spill over into April 5, and that will really get people angry.