UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

Did anyone get the UCLA south East Asian studies invite? It’s an event that they’re hosting and I’m kinda confused bc my major is polisci not anything East Asian studies related haha. Please lmk:)

@LALxDINxYOP Congrats on your admitted to UCLA Mechanical Engr! Do you mind to share your stats of general SAT test score and AP scores ? Thank you!

@txav8tor Congrats on your admitted to UCLA Bio Engr! Do you mind to share your stats of any submitted SAT Subject Test scores, AP scores and what kind of essays (good or decent)). Thank you!

@acuriousdad my S received Regents award via email.

@StudentofLife7 Congrats to your son on admitted to UCLA EE major! Do you mind to share his stats of any submitted AP scores and what kind of essays (good or decent)). Thank you!

@HOPE888 - I am curious why you are asking for the data points?

The SAT subject scores were in low 700s for Chemistry and Math2. Essay was OK, nothing spectacular.

AP exams (scores in parentheses): Euro (5), APUSH (5), Chemistry (5), Bio (5), Calc AB (5), Lit (4)
In State not-so-competitive Public High School in Orange County.

No EC to speak of, except a part time coaching job at a local gymnastics.

Too soon for a class of 2024 thread :wink:

@txav8tor Thank you very much for your reply! I asked for more details of the stats because I would like to learn if UCLA Engineering Dept. would more care for the Quantities of SAT Subject Tests and APs (even not related to sciences field) taken or they care more about the APs (related sciences field) even though it’s not that much quantities being taken. As for your case, reflecting that your test credentials proved more sciences related field. Again, I appreciate it very much for your time to post your stats, :slight_smile:

@txav8tor: This information might help you.

* LOS ANGELES

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, AP/IBHL exam scores
  • Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed. For the College of Letters and Science, the applicant's major is not considered during the review process. The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science admits students by declared major, with more emphasis on science and math programs. The School of Nursing also places more emphasis on science and math programs and requires the submission of an additional supplemental application. The School of the Arts and Architecture; Herb Alpert School of Music; and the School of Theater, Film and Television admit students by declared major (within the school), and put more emphasis on special talents through a review of portfolios and/or auditions, which are the most significant admission factors for these schools.

Rejected
In state
1360 SAT
4.2 UC GPA
major: Fine Arts

Accepted: Fordham, Reed, Scripps, Art Center, Cal poly SLO, CSULB, CSUF, UCSB CCS (Art), UCSD, UCI, UCSC
Waitlisted: Boston College
Waiting: University of Michigan

Congratulations to everyone who got in!!((:

where and how do you find out about regents? s submitted all materials, general application, alumni, regents #1, regents#2 after glitch, received confirmation e mail, and then we double checked site said confirmed. today, we log on and it says under th4e general one, incomplete! there was one new question about sexual pref, gay etc…said he needed to answer in order to submit! does this mean that he was never considered? He was accepted civil eng. yesterday. Also to UCSB mech Eng. Trying to decide…any input cc community? you’ve all been helpful before. thanks in advance.

@Gumbymom Based on your criteria, it seems that the very important factor for UCLA engineering are rigorous courses and GPA, test scores, AP, Honors in science, but it appears that those are just the basic requirements. The deal breakers seem to be ECs related to the intended major and/or local context. My daughter and many of her friends in a very competitive HS all have perfect or near-perfect standardized test scores, including SAT subject tests in science subjects, and straight A with rigorous workload of AP and Honors, yet they were all wait-listed or rejected as they might not be at the top of their class, vs others being accepted here with much lower stats in a less competitive HS. UCLA seems to be much more holistic like the Ivies nowadays.

For @HOPE888 Accepted Comp Sci Engineering. SAT II’s: 800 Math II mid-700s for bio/physics. At time of application, 10 APs (scores of 4 and 5). I think essays were decent and in-state public school.

@anya00 Congrats for your admitted in UCLA CS Engr! I appreciate it very much for your time to share your stats. Thank you!

@HOPE888 @Gumbymom - good luck with the analytics. Still confused with the whole admissions process, and not sure if there is any science in predicting the UCLA admissions process. All I know is that we didn’t have to pay any SAT guidance/counsel or bribed any coaches.

@txav8tor Thank you and good luck with your study of Bioengineering at the UCLA!

hi @HOPE888 I’ll post to the decisions thread : )

@crknwk2000 I appreciate it very much for your time to share and post your stats! Thank you!

Hello! I just logged on to my Alumni Scholarship portal and it showed that my general application is yet to be submitted when I had already done so before the deadline. Has this happened with anyone? I wonder if they received my application on time :neutral:

My D19 got waitlisted. Business economics. OOS, 36/3.96&4.67/NMF, Asian Female, Decent EC & Essay. She is disappointed, but she will be alright.