UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

My child got admitted to UC San Diego (Neurobiology) as a Regents Scholar. She also got admitted to UCLA (Neuroscience), but not a Regents Scholar. Is it prudent to give up the UCSD Regents Scholar for UCLA? Any advice on which campus should she head off to, given all other factors (costs, etc.) equal?

@chucko I believe there will be a place over by Royce on Sunday morning BEFORE the beginning of the general session where you can tag your luggage and drop it off, and at the end of the day you can pick it up in the student affairs office. You should email the Discover Engineering email account (you should have gotten something from them).

@D4Mom where do you live? we live near ucsb and it’s a choice between ucsb and ucla

@BeCheap4me2 - we live OOS. Congratulations on your acceptance to UCSB and UCLA! Wishing you all the best in making the right decision.

Can somebody share idea how is the premed support at UCLA is?

Thank you @D4Mom back at ya!

@Leo2016 - If you mean premed advising, we got the impression from our visit that there is practically none from the school. Students ask other students for guidance. I maybe wrong.

@D4Mom we got the same impression this past weekend. It seems like if you succeed at UCLA you are 100% on top of your game and able to hustle while being brilliant and making things happen for yourself–all very good life skills, but I wish I got the sense that there was a smidge more built in university support and guidance.

@crknwk2000 I felt the same way!

Hey everyone, I am currently a junior in high school and I plan on applying to UCLA. I have a question though-- When I was looking through the majors offered at UCLA, I noticed that there are three different computer science majors: computer science and engineering, computer engineering, and computer science. I assume that computer science alone is mainly software, but what is the difference between (1) computer science and engineering and (2) computer engineering?

To new engineering admits:
Join the “UCLA Engineering Class of 2023” Facebook group to network with fellow engineering students, meet potential roommates, and most importantly: get all your questions answered by the 40 UCLA Engineering Ambassadors

@10s4life Thank you for all of your help throughout this college admissions process. I am currently deciding between UCLA and UCB with Regents. I am an economics major looking to enter business/finance (investment banking is my dream job). I love the vibe at UCLA, and I know I will be happier there, but would chosing UCLA significantly decrease my chances of securing prestigious internships or jobs in the business/finance field after college? I would greatly appreciate your insight and advice (and anyone else who can help). Thank you!

@CollegeKid2023 I think that being happy is a significant contributor to doing well at college! Obviously, Silicon Valley is closer to UCB, if that’s you angle
V.C
but LA has a part of most ALL major industries being so large; finance, trade, design, H-wood, medicine, etc
 why do you think it would adversely affect your chances at ucla? Is the UCB program superior?

@CollegeKid2023 I agree with @BeCheap4me2, being happy and going to a fit school will matter the most. If you really want to be in the investment banking, being in the East Coast will help further (maybe doing grad school there after UCLA). Check this out https://www.crimsoneducation.org/us/blog/learn-to-trade.

Thoughts on Bruin Day and/or Discover Engineering? The school and students puts a lot of effort into it but how was your experience?

@10s4life It was great! We had gone to the ucsb one the day before, and ucla’s was far better. In fact, so much so, that my son chose ucla! (Not ONLY because of the day, but in large part). While I’m here, will ucla consider deferring for a quarter/2? Or, year? thanks.

10s4life it was a very spirited, vibrant day. My D really liked the vibe and enjoyed all the presentations she attended. Loved the research presentation by Mike Teitell and undergrad Irina. Very inspiring. Chancellor Block’s welcoming speech was great. Very, very welcoming overall. It was also great to get to actually see the dorms. The booths were fabulous and again, most everyone super helpful and full of info. My only negative take away was the overall sneery vibe coming off most of the social sorority girls there. That was the one not super warm and welcoming area. I saw them mostly talking in little cliques and sizing people up as they walked by. No thanks!

@10s4life We only went on Sunday the 14th to the Engineering event. It was great.

@BeCheap4me2 Congrats! He made an excellent choice. You can’t defer unless it’s for a serious medical issue or military service. Discover Engineering is very well done. Sitting in Royce was unreal wasn’t it?

@crknwk2000 Glad you liked chancellor blocks speech. I thought it was great when I was an admit. The dorm tours also are a good look at what Actual res life at UCLA is. Sorry you found the Greek area unwelcoming. Speaking in broad strokes from personal experience while it may have came off poorly most of those girls are very nice and normal people.