UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

@TechnElixir You need to take the math lvl 2 exam as well.

@ProfessorPlum168 I agree. Enrolled stats don’t matter for admission really.

@10s4life That’s good to know about UCLA.

@Heyryan227 That’s all colleges really

@tigerbeat Here is a link to how you can transfer from L & S to Com Sci. https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/ls-to-engineering/
It is very difficult and challenging though, and only like one or two people per year ever even make it into the CS major from L & S. Like @10s4life said, it may be best to apply to Engineering in the first place as the probability of making that transition is very low and you might end up stuck in a major you do not want in L & S.

@tigerbeat from attending engineering open house for this year with my son we got some info. There was a drop in applicants but also a decrease in admitted due to the fact that in the previous year more students enrolled that expected. The chances are getting more difficult as they are being more selective. I see the trend continuing because families/students are realizing the value and strength of education UCLA provides. 2019 numbers are not out yet but they showed a graph where it was less than 2018(11.4% admission rate). So I expect it to be less maybe even single digits.

I did. scored really bad, a 650. But UC don’t need them right?

@10s4life Is it fine that I have a B in a science class (Biology) if I’m majoring in Computer Science & Engineering? I have A’s in all my Honors and AP’s, my only B’s are in my VPA, which I took freshman year, and Biology. I asked because you said Samueli looks especially for Science and Math scores. And would you say that there’s no real difference between a 790 and an 800 on the Math II SAT in terms of admission importance?

@switchoroo Id say that it wouldn’t matter too much for both questions.

My DD will have her AA from a CC (in Florida) prior to graduating HS - does that add any “value” to her application, or is it just the same as getting A’s in High School?

She selected Dance as her major (on the app) with Psych as her plan B.

Hi, as an NY applicant, would Design & Drawing for production fill the “f” VPA course requirement? It fills the NYS fine arts requirement.

@annakissel: Here is the link to the UC “f” requirement. The course sounds like it would fulfill this requirement. You could call UCLA admissions to confirm.

https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/guide/a-g-subject-requirements/f-visual-performing-arts/

@ucsb82 . . .

Per your quote, post #49:

I don’t believe the AA degree would mean anything to UCLA; let me say it in more definite terms: the two-year sheepskin means nothing to the University.

The individual courses on the other hand will help her to gain higher standing at the University, provided she follows through with the AP tests. There are some students who graduate high school and even achieve beginning junior (3rd) year status at the UCs because they have so many APs (and have taken the tests).

With that said, her soph and junior year grades would be the key markers towards her admittance. So if she took a lot of cc courses in her soph and jr years, this will help her. Her sr year grades will help also with the prior-stated standing at the U.

So if you’re trying to get her in and out in three or maybe even two years, I think the Florida cc courses will help her, but again, not the AA degree.

Now the question becomes: will she be accepted?

She sounds provident enough not just to study dance; perhaps she can double major or maybe even have a minor in something like biomedical research in addition to taking the premed curriculum. :slight_smile:

Edit: In addition, the admittance is different for Dance majors, like all the performance ones. She’ll have to do an audition later on before she’s accepted.

@ucsb82 I assume you realize dance admissions are audition based and you are “strongly advised” to attend in person (https://wacd.ucla.edu/undergraduate-program)?

Added to my post #52: and of course that’s a 3 on the AP tests, which will leave an option to take more core courses or to obtain credits for graduation.

Let me cleanup my posts #52 and #53 and perhaps add a strategy or two…

A brainiac student might be able to take AP tests and score 5s without taking the courses. And I’m sure that’s a road that a very, very select few might be able to take, e.g., those kids who go to UCLA at age 13 or whatever by testing at genius level and by bypassing a lot of high-school courses (being homeschooled, learning on his/her own, etc.). Or the precocious student might just enter community college as, say, an 11 year-old and transfer to the University at age 12-13. I think there will be a bit more of this as time goes on.

But for the select few of the rest – the really smart and studious high-school students – they’ll take an AP course and followup with ≥ 3 on the test to gain college credit or to bypass the more elemental lower-division courses and prereqs. (I’m sorry, but calc for college is a pretty basic course.)

Community college (cc) courses can act as proxies for AP courses if the student’s high school is lacking in them, and/or for a really motivated student who wants to enter the University at a really high level – to save money; or to bypass the more elemental courses – to get to the core courses much faster and to enable him or her to take more upper-level, say, E courses.

The problem is, matching up cc courses with the U’s: Will the University take them? If one sticks with the a-g equivalents at cc, then this should be okay.

But a problem arises when the course is foundational to learning in subsequent courses, e.g., the chem 14 series or the math 31 series for bio- and E-based majors, respectively.

I don’t think that following an AP or cc course with 3 on an AP test would be grounds for bypassing Chem 14A or Math 31A at UCLA. I think the student should probably go with a 4 or even 5, probably the latter. But by all means, one can bypass a language or English req or history class if desired with a 3, because a minor deficit of learning in, say, US history isn’t going to affect one’s history studies at the U – even if it is one’s major; and if one can gain credit for one of these social or humanities reqs as E or bio majors, then the student can cut through the breadth (or bread) to get to the meat. But by all means the student needs to have the ability to write a cogent, lucid paper in the STEM field.

If the bottom line is to save money, then remember that the University Is one’s friend not his/her enemy. UCLA as a public university is onto rising costs of college education and isn’t trying to pull more tuition money out of a student like a private – but it has to think of California residents first with respect to these costs, which is why most non-residents aren’t afforded financial aid, followed by why a lot of non-residents are graduating really early with University enablement.

With this in mind, here’s a [*link[/i]](https://dailybruin.com/2018/06/08/the-quad-graduating-early-opens-doors-for-students-willing-to-work-hard/)I found to a Daily Bruin article on students graduating < 4 years.

And here the the links for AP credit:

For the [Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science](http://www.admission.ucla.edu/Prospect/APCreditEN.htm), and

the [College of Letters and Science](http://www.admission.ucla.edu/Prospect/APCreditLS.htm).

@firmamant2x : thanks for taking the time to respond.

I attended a CA CC prior to attending UCSB, and in those days the AA didn’t have any “bonus points” either.

I haven’t quite determined the current UC GPA scheme - there is something about “caps” for weighting etc. In Florida, the CC classes are given a 1.0 grade point boost (5 for an A) and all college level classes are counted in the GPA (even basket weaving) - this leads to a high weighted GPA for “dual enrolled” high school students.

Yes, the plan is for DD to travel to Westwood for a dance audition.

In Florida, by law, all of the state college courses must have the same numbering scheme and content (so they are transferable), with any luck this will help in gaining transfer credit for her CC courses as they will be equivalent to the same course accomplished at the State Flagship.

@ucsb82 . . . the UC gpa is just a capped average to somewhat even out the differences between high schools because there are some really AP intensive ones that would blow everyone else away because they have so many. I know that a lot of people on College Confidential place a great importance on the UC average and they’ll want to see it. The UC does standardized reporting of it for all its schools and it is a solitary gpa as opposed to looking at a stereo set of weighted and unweighted ones, but there are differences as to how each school emphasizes it.

I personally believe that UCLA doesn’t place much importance on UC gpa; I feel the University places greater importance on unweighted gpa for a-g and fully weighted a-g, both for soph and jr grades. This is evident because UCLA reports unweighted and fully weighted gpas on its admissions website. This is further shown on its CDS because the average gpa for incoming frosh in 2018-19 was a 3.89, and it was ~ 3.94 for the median. If UCLA admitted on UC gpa, there would be a lot lower uwgpa; probably in the 3.7s or so, because any weighted gpa including the UC gpa would mask lower unweighted grades.

Here’s a [link](https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/) to a UC gpa calculator. If you still have trouble with it and you’re not (edit: embarassed) of listing your daughter’s soph and jr grades and courses (I’m thinking you’d be proud of them), just do so here and one of us will help you.

@ucsb82: Only UC transferable classes taken at the Florida CC will be given the extra honors points for the UC GPA calculation. How to determine which courses are UC transferable opens another set of issues. You would need to look at the Florida CC course descriptions and try to articulate them to the UCLA course descriptions or any of the California CC courses.

The capped weighted UC GPA has a maximum of 8 extra honors points while the fully weighted is an unlimited number of honors points. As noted above, all UC GPA’s will be considered but UCLA is only one of 2 UC’s that actually lists fully weighted GPA’s in their Freshman profile.

1 semester CC class= 1 year of HS a-g course equivalent for the UC’s but will only get 1 extra honors point in the UC GPA calculation.

From the UC Website:

[quote]
For students from other institutions

Although UC does not have preapproved formal agreements on transferable coursework outside of the California community college system, general units or credits from a regionally accredited college or university are transferable if a course is comparable to one offered at a UC campus. If a course in not equivalent to a particular UC course, it must be appropriate for a UC degree in terms of its purpose, scope and depth.

However, some courses are not transferable to UC. The following types of courses, for example, will not garner UC transfer credit:

Remedial English (composition courses below the first-term college level)
Mathematics below college algebra (any course for which intermediate algebra is not a prerequisite)
Instructional/technical how-to courses, such as how to use computer software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
To get an idea of likely transferable courses from four-year institutions and out-of-state two-year colleges, refer to the General Catalog for any UC campus or to a transfer course agreement (TCA) that UC has with any California community college.

For TCAs, visit ASSIST.org and follow these steps:

Select any college name without UC or CSU in the title.
Click on the UC Transferable Courses link then look for similar course names as those the student has completed elsewhere.