UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

Haha thank you again! Today really just wowza for my hopes

D. Admitted.
Completely shocked and so happy. Just for future info- daughter was asked to submit supplemental essay and received invite for Alumni Scholarship. She didn’t fill out alumni but she did do supplemental essay which was about a hardship she overcame-health. That essay was very strong.

UC GPA-4.04
ACT- 32
Major English
Essays were very strong imo
Lots of great EC and volunteer hours
Accepted: TCU Honors, SDSU Honors, Cal Poly SLO, UCD
WL: UCSB

Accepted in-state - Geography
ACT 34-36 (Giving ranges for stats)
GPA 3.9-4.0/4.6-4.8
SAT 2: US History: 780-800 Bio M: 750-780
ECs and Awards: Average
Essays: Some average, some not so good :confused:

Accepted: UCLA, UCI w/ Regents, UCR w/ Regents, Carleton, Haverford, UMass Amherst, Whitman, and UH Manoa
Waitlist: Hamilton and Colby
Rejected: Amherst
Pending: Vassar, Wesleyan, Middlebury, and Emory

@firmament2x The 18k I mentioned was a ball park. I didn’t have have time to look up exact numbers. I just know average amount of applicants is 100k. Class size is around 6k. Yield is around 30%.

Waitlisted :frowning:
International student
ACT- 34
high school gpa unweighted- 3.9
strong essays
weak ecs

@galaxy87 Did your admission letter say with Regents? Son’s decision letter didn’t say Regents/Alumni and Provisional Award Letter/College Financing Plan has all scholarships as 0. Does that mean he wasn’t selected?

they say it in the decisions letter

@10s4life . . . gotcha.

The yield has actually gone up and is almost competitive w/ Berkeley; it was 43% in 2019. Better yield => better standards, lower acceptance rate. UCLA surpassed Berk with 12% last year A/R; the U has to work on catching them with yield.

I was admitted into Theater at TFT, but I don’t know anyone who was admitted into Film and TV Production at TFT.

@chantillycake1 . . . interesting list of schools:

Accepted: UCLA, UCI w/ Regents, UCR w/ Regents, Carleton, Haverford, UMass Amherst, Whitman, and UH Manoa
Waitlist: Hamilton and Colby
Rejected: Amherst
Pending: Vassar, Wesleyan, Middlebury, and Emory

If I would have guessed where you applied from, I would have said OOS, especially with UMass and UH on your list.

Daughter Accepted. Asian Female, In-State, Large Public School
College of Letters and Science - Undeclared.
GPA: UW-4.0, Capped-4.4, Fully W-4.7
SAT: 1450
Took some Junior College Classes via Dual Enrollment. 3 Year Varsity in 2 sports and a lot of other EC.

admitted to the college of letters and science as a pre-global studies major! oos asian female from a mid-sized competitive public

gpa: 4.0 uw, capped 4.3 w, fully w 4.3 (none of my honors counted since i was oos)
sat: 1600
ecs revolved around political campaign work, journalism, and language learning!

admitted: ucla, georgetown sfs, claremont mckenna with 15k merit a year, amherst college, washu with nemerov scholars and 3k merit a year, usc as a merit scholarship finalist, uva as an echols scholar, william and mary as a monroe scholar and 1693 scholars finalist, ucsd, uw-madison, the university of oxford (ppe), the london school of economics and political science (international relations), university college london, the university of st. andrews, and king’s college london

waitlisted: uchicago

deferred: yale

rejected: none so far

@axepheria, I think that is probably 7000 characters and not 7000 words. I don’t think anyone really wants to read 7000 words. :wink:

Accepted in-state. Film and Television.
GPA: UW - 3.33 Capped-3.52 Fully W-3.86
SAT: 1270
Gold Award recipient. IB Film student. Club president. Internship.
I had an interview.
Ethnicity: Mixed

Admitted: UCLA, NYU, CSUN, CSUF, SFS, CSULB
Waitlisted: UCSC
Rejected: UCSB
;^)

Congrats to everyone who got in. It’s quite an accomplishment and I hope you decide to spend the best four years of your life as a Bruin. For those of you new to CC, I’m a current ucla student and campus tour guide. If you want to know anything about life at ucla feel free to ask either here or in a PM. I’ll try to answer all questions. Especially since Bruin Day and Discover Engineering are now virtual.

If you were waitlisted, it means you UCLA thought you were good enough to get in they just didn’t have quite enough space. If you opt in the waitlist make sure to write the essay and fill out the opt in app. Here is the waitlist discussion thread: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/2178754-ucla-class-of-2024-waitlist-discussion.html#latest

If you got denied, don’t worry too much about it. I know it’s disappointing news but there’s gonna be a perfect fit for you. In the end academics and ranking only matter so much and it’s really the experience you’re gonna remember. No matter what school you attend you’ll meet your best friends and make awesome memories and you’ll look back and not want it any other way. If you would like to appeal the only grounds for appealing are if there were circumstances not explained in the app that happened prior to submission or if there were missing materials you forgot or mis entered. Note that means senior year grades or additional awards that either go above the allotted space or were earned after you submitted the app are not grounds for appealing.

Again congrats everyone and thank you all for your contributions to the ucla forum. Go Bruins!

@10s4life Just stopped by your part of town to say congrats to those accepted and say how much I enjoyed reading the anticipation of the portals updating. The posts between 5 and 5:30 make quite a comedy routine! There’s some witty ones on here for sure!

Hope all is well in Bruin land for you @10s4life, looks like you are crushing it over here. I’m still cruisin’ on the other side. :slight_smile:

Accepted out of state. Congrats to everyone! Always remember that things happen FOR you, not TO you.

unweighted GPA - 3.9
SAT - 1520, also a NM Finalist
Ethnicity - Asian
Major - Business Econ
Currently run my own business + am a YouTuber (70k+ subs)
Accepted: USC, Fordham (full ride), Northeastern, LMU

@CADREAMIN Haha another successful year over here. Glad to hear things are good over at SC. Try not to steal too many of our admits :slight_smile:

They want your OOS money

Waitlisted
OOS female
GPA UW: 4.0
GPA UC: 4.32 (i think)
SAT: 1490 (720 R, 770 M)
8 APs
many types of dance and poms team, lots of volunteering including weekly at hospital and a mission trip, part time job, some clubs