UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

Gumbymom posted in another thread that Berkeley starts reviewing applications in mid November whereas the others wait until later. That might explain why Berkeley sent out portal info earlier.

Ucla gets a lot of applicants. In fact they get the most out of all colleges in the US. It takes time to set up portals for the applicants. For reassurance your app went in check your general Uc app and see if the campus was selected. They won’t read apps til January.

The UCB portal says to send in official test scores “by December 2019.” Does anyone know the exact date for these? I have self-reported my scores but it seems Berkeley wants official scores. Is it the same for UCLA (and UCSD)?

@jennylo20: All the UC’s want an official copy of your SAT and/or ACT scores. The deadline is December 31. You can send your scores to one UC campus and it will be shared by all. Just remember it can take anywhere from 10-14 days for the scores to be received.

I went back a few pages, but applicants to the UCLA school of Film, Theatre and Television are notified about auditions by December 13. Does anybody know if there is an exact date/time where everybody gets notified or do they trickle out a few at a time and finish by December 13?

I know the department has a 4% admit rate, but is there any difference between in state, out of state and international? (I found general admit rates for the UC schools online, but not in state/out of state/international by school at UCLA)

Also, is there a big difference in admit rates for Film vs Theatre vs Television?

@NewJeffCT --where did you see that? In the past I believe interview invites went out in February. Obviously it could be different this year but that seems awfully soon. Thanks for sharing any info you have seen online.

Just realized that they will be contacted STARTING December 13:

from this supplemental PDF linked below:
 Schedule the IN-PERSON Interview/Audition, if required.
o Applicants who are REQUIRED to attend an Interview/Audition will be
contacted starting **December 13, 2019. **

Link below is to a PDF:
http://www.tft.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/TA_UG_Fresh_instructions_PDF.pdf

Do you think it is because they want to give students the opportunity to travel for auditions over winter break?

Yes - since they do not allow Skype or similar types of remote interviews, I would think that’s part of the reason why they start on December 13 - to allow kids time that need to travel from outside of Southern California.

@NewJeffCT --that PDF says specifically for “Theatre BA Program” so I don’t think that applies to the Film/Television program. Reading your original post I’m not sure if you were asking about interviews/auditions for the theatre program or interviews for film/Tv. Anyway, good luck and hope you get good news!

Thanks Ohdeanor - you’re right, i was not clear. Sorry for the confusion.

UCLA states that they accept AP Credits >=3. Do you think reporting 3’s will have any effect on my admissions process if someone with the same stats sent 5’s for the same tests?

I’m by no means an expert but would think it depends on which test along with what other APs and scores are included. My D is a junior at UCLA if I remember correctly, she submitted two 5’s, one 4 and one 3 when she applied. The 3 was in history. She applied as a math major at the time and it had no effect. I’d just be cautious abt adding a score that would somehow take away from your SAT or ACT scores. For example, if you did really well on the English portion of the SAT but got a 3 on an English AP, I would not submit the AP (same true for math).

Hope that helps!

@10s4life, in your opinion, will today’s lawsuit filed against the UC System affect the class of 2024 admission process at all?

No, admissions will base decisions on the current process in place until told otherwise. IMO, there are way too many applicants with perfect or near perfect GPAs to fully eliminate standardized tests from the admissions process. For example, UCLA gets 115K applications, they need some easy way to distinguish the students.

It will not affect this year’s class. The UC Regents already had a task force in place to study the value of standardized testing. https://edsource.org/2019/should-uc-keep-sat-and-act-exams-as-admissions-requirement-a-debate-is-underway/618185

From this article:

We are from Atlanta and my S applied - and wondering if he input his honors classes properly. I know he does not get GPA credit for these courses as an OOS applicant - but on the “drop down” menu when he entered the classes he DID NOT select honors - the only place it designates that they were honors courses is in the written description of the course. Is that correct? When I see the stats that were posted for OOS acceptances last year it indicated the average # of honors courses taken - so it has me second guessing if he entered them properly becasue I would think that stat would need to be gathered some way other than reading the descriptions of the courses. Thanks!

Has anyone received the portal email from UCLA yet? I haven’t. Freaking out.

@bnm123 Here is what I found on their site where you will access the portal once you do receive the log-in info. “Note: applicants for fall 2020 will be able to check their status starting in mid-December)”

Here is the link: https://www.admission.ucla.edu/myapplication/Login.aspx

My D20 has not received an email yet either.

No, no one has received info from UCLA. It sounds like the arts students might hear something on Friday. Hopefully they will also send out portal info for everyone else.