UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

How much does TFT put on supplemental app?

My GPA is just above the minimum required for instate. I’ve taken a bunch of AP’s but some grades weren’t stellar. My SAT’s are in the mid 50%.

My writing is pretty awesome and I was a working SAG actor from 7-15 and didn’t attend regular school until 10th grade. My grades have an upward trend and I have straight A’s this semester while concurrently producing a short film. Will that help offset my meh grades for film?

For the UC’s I know that they require SAT with essay. So the first time I took SAT I wrote it with essay and got a 1520. The second time though I decided to skip the essay, and I got a 1600.

I sent both official score reports to ULCA, but since I wrote the 1600 without essay, does that mean that score won’t be considered?

@KMed9102: Yes your 1600 score will not be considered since you did not take the essay. UCLA will use the 1520 SAT score which is a great score in itself.

Thanks @Gumbymom .

Another quick question, I’m not sure if this has been answered already, but does UCLA have interviews? And if yes when do they start contacting students? Does everyone get an interview or just a select few?

Hi @lkg4answers - the arts students had a Monday 12/9 deadline to submit portfolios, resumes or whatever was required - UCSD and UCLA had different requirements of what was needed to be submitted, while UCB, UCI and UCSB did not have anything additional.

However, my daughter last night said that the 12/9 deadline was extended to 12/11 because of technical issues, so she was not sure if that affects audition scheduling requests going out starting on 12/13 or not. But, I can definitely see it changing to Monday or Tuesday of next week.

My D received the invite to audition for MT on Tuesday, 12/10! She is super excited although she realizes it is still a very low acceptance rate and will all depend on how she does and what they are looking for to build their freshmen class.

She still has not received any portal information though.

@KMed9102: UCLA does not do interviews for admissions but they will interview for the Chancellor scholarship if selected to apply.

For those wondering about getting an email acknowledging their or their child’s application, my daughter received an email last night from UCLA acknowledging receipt of her application and telling her how to log in to view her application status. It went into her promotions email box not her main one. When she logs in, it basically just says application received, what major she applied for, and some welcoming language and links to a page for information for applicants.

We found the UCLA email in the spam folder. It is kind of a funky email in that when you log on, it only acknowledges that the application was received. It doesn’t say anything about test scores or if something might be missing. Fortunately we received confirmation via the other UC portals that everything that was submitted was indeed received.

does UCLA ever send out decisions earlier than the date on the portal?

@Heyryan227 Prob not since the only change I can see happening is that test scores would become “optional” but test optional schools aren’t really test optional since every person will still submit one to still be competitive. The sat and act offer free waivers so financial ability is kind of a moot point but we shall see. It also won’t be settled in time for the current admission timeline.

@collegeswoohoo No unless you’re an athlete then you sign and know ahead of time.

Does anyone know what benefits being in the top 9% of California High School students have for kids applying to UCLA, Berkeley, SB, etc?

@AmTrand: https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

Anyone received their portal email yet?

@bnm123 My D received hers last week. It is quite sparse though. Not as much information as the other UCs. In fact, you just need your UC ID# to get into the portal. https://www.admission.ucla.edu/myApplication/Login.aspx

@bnm123 it was in our spam folder so check there. Also received a marketing/promo email today.

@lkg4answers @MommaCat
thanks for replying
I looked everywhere in my email but found nothing…
tried to log into portal with ID# but says no match found…
I’ll call next monday if still don’t receive anything by then.

Everyone should have access to the ucla portal now. If not call before this Friday since they’ll be going on winter break. Lunch is 12-1 for most campus offices so I would call in the morning if you have any issues. Please be patient since it’s a very busy time of year for the campus staff.

@10s4life
I just called and finally had access to my portal (turns out the 4 credentials are case sensitive), thanks a lot for responding!