UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

@10s4life source?

@a2cissuperior You’re gonna have to trust me on this one.

@a2cissuperior you can also go through old “class of 20xx” threads and see the pattern of when notifications were sent out. For example, last year notifications came out on 3/22/19 - the third Friday in March. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/2085128-ucla-class-of-2023-discussion-p64.html

Has UCLA released an announcement of how many applications they received this cycle?

I heard about UCLA sending out emails requesting additional information. Does this mean the application passed through the first screening, and is considered seriously? Or they send this to pretty much everybody? Also, is this limited to CA students? I will appreciate your experience.

@AthDia: UCLA like the rest of the UC’s can ask for a supplemental/augmented review of any applicant.

Below are the reasons for this requests and not limited to CA applicants:

The Augmented Review pool should be limited in size to no more than 15 percent of all applicants.

The criteria for referring an applicant for Augmented Review include the following:

1. Evidence of focus on an area of special talent which may have limited a student’s time to participate in a broader range of activities.
  2. Evidence of character traits that imply a strong likelihood of making a significant contribution to campus life.
  3. Evidence of significant academic achievement or the potential for academic achievement at the University in spite of extraordinary or compound disadvantage or learning difference, or physical disability or other unusual circumstances.
  4. Evidence of significant improvement in the academic record accompanied by one or both of the following: (1) reasons for the initial poor performance; and (2) sustained and in-depth participation in educational outreach programs, which demonstrate the applicant’s commitment to succeed academically within a challenging environment.
  5. Evidence of relative lack of access to, counseling about, or support to take college preparatory, honors, Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes or required college entrance examinations.

@Gumbymom so much appreciate your quick and comprehensive response. I am surprised to find this out. Just curious, is this public information? Are there any stats from previous years, to evaluate how these applicants do finally? - or any off the record guesstimate. So appreciative.

@AthDia:
This is the link that explains the augmented review:

https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/2110.html

Regarding the stats and how these applicants fare in the admission process, you would have to go through all the decisions threads by campus to find that information.

If you have the time, here are some threads:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/2052882-ucla-supplemental-questionnaire-2018-p2.html

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-general/2124660-uc-augmented-supplemental-review-applicants-2023.html

@Gumbymom sorry, I just found the policy online. Very interesting. I appreciate you guided me to this.

@Gumbymom So do you think it is a bad sign to get the “UCLA Request for Supplemental Information”. I just got one too. Does this mean I have a good chance of getting in if i write a good explanation? Cuz i felt like i do have both a extraordinary talent/ec and a special circumstances

@PLZSTERN2024: It is definitely not a bad sign, but a chance to “toot your horn” so to speak. UCLA would have not asked for a supplemental if they were not seriously considering your application. Your chances will be dependent upon how you answer the questions and if admissions feels you “fit” their criteria.

You can check the links on post #147 to see how other applicants which received the supplemental fared on their decisions.

@gumbymom Just got the request for supplemental questionnaire yesterday. It’s asking for more info on one of my talents and explaining something that’s impeded my academics (for me, I think they’re talking about the C I got last year). I wrote 2 essays on my talents, but I do think there’s room to fill in gaps, not enough for an entire essay though. Am I supposed to write this as an essay or just more plainly stating the facts?

@Gumbymom Ive gotten one from UCD and UCLA. Has Berkley sent out their request for essays already?

@worldwidewebuser: For the academic question, you can state facts rather than writing an essay. Not all questions pertain to each applicants situation.

@PLZSTERN2024: Instead of using the augmented review/supplemental questionnaire, UCB asks for LOR’s. They will send you an email with the request and you can upload the LOR’s in the student portal. If you have not received such a request by now, they probably do not need any more information. Not all campuses will send out a supplemental.

How often does admissions reach out to applicants for more information other than for grades? Do they ever ask for more info related to a unique circumstance? I am assuming if admissions asks questions, it is a good thing in that you were not immediately rejected but still being considered. Also, if you did not have interaction with an admissions counselor or do a formal campus tour (only self-guided walking tour) prior to applying, do you suggest emailing an admissions counselor at this late date to show interest? Thank you so much.

@31953195Cf: UCLA uses the supplemental/augment review questionnaire if more information is needed from an applicant to help aid their admission decisions. UCLA does not consider an applicants level of interest in their application review.

Below is the information regarding the supplemental/augmented questionnaire and review which have posted previously.

[quote]
The Augmented Review pool should be limited in size to no more than 15 percent of all applicants.

The criteria for referring an applicant for Augmented Review include the following:

1. Evidence of focus on an area of special talent which may have limited a student’s time to participate in a broader range of activities.
  2. Evidence of character traits that imply a strong likelihood of making a significant contribution to campus life.
  3. Evidence of significant academic achievement or the potential for academic achievement at the University in spite of extraordinary or compound disadvantage or learning difference, or physical disability or other unusual circumstances.
  4. Evidence of significant improvement in the academic record accompanied by one or both of the following: (1) reasons for the initial poor performance; and (2) sustained and in-depth participation in educational outreach programs, which demonstrate the applicant’s commitment to succeed academically within a challenging environment.
  5. Evidence of relative lack of access to, counseling about, or support to take college preparatory, honors, Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes or required college entrance examinations.

Is it a bad sign if I didn’t get requested a supplemental questionnaire? : (

@erinthefatcat Not necessarily, the supplemental is for borderline applicants where the admissions officers need more info to make a decision.

Has anyone gotten invitations for interviews for film production?

Is it true that UCLA already sent out Regents invitations by mail?