UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

Does anyone know if UCLA will look at your senior mid-year grades? My rank/GPA has improved significantly since end of junior year. I will ask my guidance counselor to forward my updated transcript with my senior grades thus far, but I’m not sure if it is against their policy to consider them.

I’m pretty sure that midterm senior grades are very important, and it can most definitely help them decide between two applicants or if you are boarder lining between waitlist and acceptance.

@kittycat1203: Unless UCLA sends you a supplemental/augmented review questionnaire, they do not consider Senior grades in their admissions decisions. You however need to maintain good grades since all admissions are provisional.

@CindyLeuWho: UC’s do not ask for Mid-year Senior grades in their admission decisions unless they request a supplemental review. If you are waitlisted however, you can submit your Senior grades if applicable.

@Gumbymom I believe my guidance counselor follows a “let’s send the midyear grades to all of your regular decision schools.” Should I tell her that she absolutely should NOT forward them to UCLA…is it actually frowned upon when they receive something that wasn’t requested? Perhaps a better way of going about this is if I email the admissions rep for my state with a short paragraph letting them know that I am sending my updated transcript because of the improvement shown?

@kittycat1203: I would not contact UCLA or admissions unless they contact you for further information.

From the UCLA website:

[quote]
WHERE DO I SEND TRANSCRIPTS OR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION?
A: UCLA does not require letters of recommendation or transcripts during the admission selection process. Our review is based on self-reported information provided on the UC Application form. In the event that additional information or materials are necessary, we will contact you directly with a specific request.

However letters of rec are asked for talent based majors such as film.

@CindyLeuWho: You are correct. Specific majors such as Film, Nursing, Architecture and Music majors do have supplemental requirements not required for the the majority of UCLA’s majors.

@kittycat1203 did not specify their intended major so I gave the general response to Mid-year transcripts.

@Gumbymom Thanks - I will show my guidance counselor to try to stop her before she automatically sends them off.

@Gumbymom Thanks - I will show my guidance counselor to try to stop her before she automatically sends them off.

Councilors usually know. Even then, if the school doesn’t need it they will just toss it. No biggy really.

I got the UCLA supplemental information request and I am a bit confused. For the talent essay in the original application, I wrote about humor and how I love making others laugh. I felt that my essay was very straightforward and that it answered any questions AO’s may have. This was also one of my more laid back essays. However, I did have essays that talked a lot about my interest in political science and my experiences within the field. The essays I wrote on poli sci were much more engaging and I definitely had more EC’s there. Do you think I should write my supplement on some of my other poli sci EC’s because those are much more important and valuable than humor? I really don’t understand why the AO’s would want to know more about my jokes at school and such.

@kittycat1203 No big deal if the counselor sends it, those just get thrown away in the admissions office

Based upon what someone posted on Reddit, it looks like the Regents of the University of California mail that was sent this week was a 1098 tax form for things like an art supplement, a course taken, etc.

When was UCLA Decision release date for past few years? I see people saying 3rd Week of March (Friday) or around end of march.

Also does anyone notification date for early admits (regents)?

@richbilly if UCB early admits and Regents comes out this Friday, it’s reasonable to assume same for UCLA, but who knows?

I received a supplemental questionnaire from the University of California, Los Angeles. I.M.O. my stats are much lower than the average UCLA student. Does anyone know people who got in (who also received this questionnaire) or have gotten in themselves after receiving a supplemental questionnaire/ request for fall grades? Any advice for what they want to hear/ don’t want to hear in an applicant response. I understand this is different from writing normal college supplements as here, I am elaborating on information I have already provided. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

The fact that I didn’t get this request really worries me. I have a 4.1 GPA (uncapped) and a 1450 SAT. The problem is that I have autism, which is why my GPA is so low. My course load greatly increased senior year… it seems like I would be the type of person to get this request. Why didn’t I get it and does it mean that I am going to get rejected, or is this simply a sign that I gave enough information on the original application for them to make a decision?

@richbilly Trust me it’ll be the third friday in March this year. :wink: