UCLA Class of 2024 Waitlist Discussion

I’m hoping there’s still space for some in-state students even if there are more admitted that are OOS/International

Has UCSB been accepting more OOS students ??

I think so. Typically it has a very small out of state pool.

The only one on CC that specified was INTL so I guess it would be reasonable to pool OOS+INTL together for all intents and purposes?

Last year, UCLA began admitting waitlists on 4/23, as we know. That was a Tuesday. Is it reasonable to think we may start getting decisions on Tuesday, 4/21? Or should we assume that decisions won’t come around until May?

Tuesday sounds about right. Especially because UCSB is already pulling from waitlist. as of yesterday.

I assume Tuesday would be the start of OOS/International wait-lists and that we’d start to see any in-state action after May 1 since that was the trend last year.

Seems to be reasonable.

However, April 15 (the deadline for waitlist opt-in) was on a Monday in 2019. The 23rd was 1 week after the opt in closed. So it’s better to assume that the first wave would be one week after the deadline to opt in which would be Thursday. I believe that would be more plausible.

I think the waitlist is going to be much more active into the summer than in the past for several reasons at most schools - it’s obvious most schools have a bigger waitlist this year. In addition, some students will SiR to more than one school - especially because of the inability to visit before the summer and also being on more waitlists at their reach schools. Add to that the uncertainty of what the fall experience will look like, which is going to cause some to be indecisive as to final enrollment at a school, wanting to hold out leaving their options open as long as possible. This will likely cause the “summer melt” (kids backing out on SIRs) to be more volatile than usual, resulting in more and later use of waitlists. I am sure college admissions offices are anticipating this summer melt. Waitlisted students need to be patient because it will be a long and difficult ride (if the goal is to get into their waitlisted school). What they cannot do is count on the waitlist and not SIR to at least one school they would be excited to attend.

I wonder if there will be any effect on the yield of OOS/International students admitted off the waitlist especially since we’re likely going online for at least the first semester :frowning:
Also wondering if they would prioritize full-paying in-state students over those who requested financial aid or if all in-state students will be viewed sans need. Interesting to see how this will all play out over the next few weeks if only time would go faster!

the real question is how big is the waitlist compared to prior years?

low income + in-state here rip. I’m hoping my love letter in the additional info box is enough to save me from rejection. Good luck everyone!! (::

Low income+ in-state + bio major (hope that my 4.8 helps me)- chances ARE LOW!

OOS female from NY here, I was accepted into cal (w/merit scholarship), USC, UCSB (early acceptance) , & UCSD but not ucla :frowning: SIR’d to USC but hoping to get off the waitlist tho!

My daughter is starting to lean in the direction of our in-‘state UW Comp Sci acceptance over UCLA CS. She is starting to think about the $ piece, which is good. Not sure the extra $35k per year is worth the difference, particularly with possible first semester or year potentially being online or with housing restrictions per Napolitano interview recently. We even considered moving to California to eventually be in state, but not a huge fan of the west coast anymore for a variety of reasons. The next month will be interesting. Will wait and see if she gets off Wharton or Cals waitlist.

We held out hope for an alumni scholarship to help with the $ delta, but doesn’t seem like that’s happening.

in the waitlist faq, it said usually 5% is waitlisted → ~ 5000 students. But in the past (last year) they waitlisted ~11,000 students, saying they wanted a “stronger waitlist strategy” (https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/CC2019/plenary-and-campus-updates.pdf) why do they waitlist so many students?? Are all of these students truly qualified (thinking of myself here)? what does all of this mean :(((((

@thegreatgatz I wouldn’t worry too much about the previous years data, since this year is a completely different ballgame. The past years data have not been affected by the effects of a global pandemic. COVID-19 has had large and far-reaching effects, thus, making this year completely unpredictable.

im waiting

Agreed!

I randomly selected 128 comments from the UCLA Class 2024 and 2023 decision threads (64 from each) and compared the two to see if anything had changed.

For the class of 2024:
41 Accepted (64%)
12 Waitlisted (19%)
11 Rejected (17%)

For the class of 2023:
50 Accepted (78%)
8 Waitlisted (13%)
6 Rejected (9%)

While the waitlist percentage has increased from last year’s thread, I’m sure this method lacks accuracy. The difference also wasn’t that dramatic and the smallest of the three (6% while the others changed 14% and 8%).

It makes sense that when more accepted people comment on the thread, less rejected people will post their decisions, but I think the waitlist is somewhat of a yellow zone and waitlisted people wouldn’t be discouraged/encouraged to post their own decisions despite the higher/lower number of acceptances. Assuming that I’m right and disregarding the margin of error, the data for waitlisted students is more accurate than the others and the number of waitlisted students most likely increased, but it wasn’t a drastic change (around 46%, which would push the waitlist rate by only 2%-3%) and, because of corona, the number of students admitted will probably increase by an even higher margin so it shouldn’t be much of a problem for us.

This is all speculation and definitely not accurate but still the best I could do with the data we have :smile:

I feel like the waitlist is a lot bigger this year – I really expected a flat out rejection with my stats (I pretty sure are well below the 25th percentile gpa-wise), especially applying as a Neuroscience major but here we are. If its bigger, maybe that means they’re expecting to have a lower yield but I would’ve thought they’d just expand their OOS waitlist since in-state yield isn’t likely to go down.