UCLA Class of 2024 Waitlist Discussion

it’s not 9 pst yet! XD but i’m also very curious to see what happens

Anyone get something?

I didn’t even though I’m a international applicant.

perhaps they will send some out later today? I have a hard time seeing how they could afford to wait if SIRs are down

Maybe they won’t release today

Maybe SIRs aren’t actually down, or they overrenolled in anticipation of a lower yield rate.

@WaitlistBoy do you think the admissions office would tell us if we called them and asked?

@WaitlistBoi Not waitlisted at UCLA, so no horse in this race, but admissions officers almost never give out important information, because they are not allowed to. If you called them, no doubt they would tell you that there are a certain amount of spots that they will be giving out, and that they will be giving out waitlist offers through May/June. Even if they were actually releasing some offers today, it’s highly unlikely that the admissions office would tell you.

I think they release all the acceptances after may 1st. The SIRS are not down much based on the data we have. It is kind of similar to last year with a slight increase in the number of spots that will be offered. If you are oos you have the highest chance of getting in, followed by in-state. International students have the least chance of getting in.

@Shdjdgd wait what data

They could possibly come out tomorrow if they release something before may 1st.

Which data do you have? There is nothing I could find on the internet.

I think this is only true for regular admissions and not the waitlist ones. The yield this year will be much lower for oos and internationals and they will probably try to maintain the campus diversity. Moreover, they will be accepting more full pay students to help with financial aid requests, which certainly increased because of the pandemic. Chances for oos and internationals will probably be similar and higher than those of in state students.

I went back on the Class of 2023 thread, and it seems like on this day last year, the first announcement of people getting off of the waitlist was made at around 3:30-ish. So maybe, IF they are releasing decisions today, they could come at around 12pm PST or 3pm EST. This is all just speculation, so I’m not entirely certain about anything.

Also, I don’t think that they over-admitted this year, I’m sure they knew who they were going to admit way before the day they released decisions. And based on all the definite information that we have(ex. UCD sending out waitlist admissions), I would be willing to bet that UCLA will be pulling from their waitlist soon.

I could’ve sworn that the 2023 thread showed the first acceptance at 9:00 PST I could be wrong though. Also, was last year the first time that waitlist acceptances became announced on April 23rd or is it a reoccurring pattern?

@maybenotjohn don’t sweat it, it’s different every year.

There’s no certain way of knowing whether waitlist notifications will come out on any given day. It varies year by year and with this year especially, the admissions office might want to wait until the SIR deadline has passed. However, that doesn’t mean that they’re getting a list ready for individuals who are able to get off the waitlist. I find the pattern inconsistent and unreliable because the situation this year is different than any other year before.

Hasn’t UCSB already gone to the waitlist as well?

The first wave of UCSB was on April 16th.

And UC Davis came out yesterday

the longer they wait, the more they risk losing yield on their offers. that being said, if they do choose to ignore yield and call this year an anomaly (as it is), that likely means more admission offers due to the lower yield. right?