UCLA Class of 2024 Waitlist Discussion

@waitlistboi I’m not sure, but how would transfer decisions affect us? The freshman class should still be comparable in size to last year’s right?

@janu2481 I got confused. In my country transfers take undergrad spots, this is probably not the case for US colleges though, my bad.

My understanding is that transfers are taking the spots for attrition within classes that occur, and/or a university’s capacity to take on more upperclassmen for whatever reason. A lot of resources are dedicated specifically for freshmen, but once the class starts to settle in and go their own ways, a college can welcome more juniors and sophomores to these classes.

current transfer decisions are for class of 2022 NOT class of 2024. Class of 2024 are freshman undergrad decisions!

Anyone else getting super antsy? I cannot stop thinking about UCLA and I just want to know whether I can go or not!! Like if you’re gonna reject me can you just do it now so I don’t get my hopes up

@lovestay345 I feel you on another level… honestly I’m mentally exhausted at this point

Look at the size of the Class of 2024 Facebook groups. UCLA only has 4.8k in it for their 6.3k freshman class. Meanwhile, Rice has 934 for a class of 970; Penn has 2.2k for a class of 2.5k; Brown has 1.5k for a class of 1.6k. This might be a good way of getting at how many people have committed thus far (and thus how many waitlist spots may be offered)

How many kids do you think don’t join FB groups? Enough to make a large difference? ex. maybe Rice has 936k? I’m hoping that even with kids with no FB, UCLA will have maybe 5k (worst case scenario).

@seylin4 My friend and I were discussing this too… how many who commit don’t join the group AND how many who commit elsewhere still join? I.e. I am still in the UVA group but I committed to Rice. So the number likely is inflated and deflated… but 4.8k for a class of 6.3k still seems rather low, and would align with the theory that they aren’t getting enough commits since they extended the date to claim a spot on the waitlist

Could be wrong but those FB groups are also full of kids and parents with acceptances looking to network before enrolling - not just committed students. And many many people do not join FB groups. But it could be an indicator if user #s are down from last year.

@25Raider so if anything the numbers are inflated, yes? But perhaps also deflated with people not joining who have committed? I’m not sure parents can join the groups, though. There is usually a separate group for the parents of admitted students, and from the groups I’m in I haven’t seen parents join.

I still think 5000 is a good estimate.

yeah i’m in the group for tulane and uw and was in the groups for ohio state and syracuse. a lot of people join groups for any school they’re admitted to or at least any school they’re considering. if i had to make a VERY UNEDUCATED (SERIOUSLY TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT PLS) guess, 75% of admits are the type to join the facebook groups and about 60% of those are considering ucla. that would be just under half of the initial admits and about the size of their intended class. that lines up with the numbers from other schools. note that the previously listed schools (brown, penn, rice) are all private and likely tell a different story. uw’s facebook group has 3300 for a class of 6000+ which explains why they went to the waitlist in the first week of april. tulane has 1850 for a class of 1900. i would wager that private schools are going to have better yields during this time because the people who apply there are probably capable of paying regardless of a downturn, whereas people applying to public schools like ucla and uw are probably a bit more elastic in demand. to add to that, uw’s class of 2023 fb group has 4100 and that’s including those that eventually declined admission or cancelled enrollment. ucla’s 2023 group has 7.1k 4.8k is REALLY low in that case.

that being said, I think it’s becoming clear that UCLA is waiting until may 1 to get a better idea (@freezingcoldtakes if we hear back today lmao) of their needs. the situation is volatile which means that families’ decisions may also vary day by day.

to corroborate that point: the marching band, which usually has an influence in waitlist admissions, has told me that they’re waiting to hear if they will have that influence this year. that’s probably a sign of two things:

1. ucla had at least some idea of the effects of the virus and knew to admit more students. even if it raised the admit rate by 1-2% that’s still a few hundred extra. the fb groups are indicating that the misinterpreted the severity, but they likely predicted some effect.
  2. ucla is likely waiting until may 1 (as previously stated) to see numbers. there are a lot of families that are now borderline capable of going to private schools elsewhere, and there are many who are likely appealing for more generous aid. many of those processes won’t wrap up until may 1. monitoring the fb group over the next few days will be a good indicator. the band may not have influence rn because ucla simply has NO CLUE how many students they’re going to have to take.

sorry for the novel guys, this page is the only thing i have rn. love u guys <3

The number of users on those FB groups is not a good indicator of how many have accepted spots - the only useful info may be if you compared the numbers from last year. Parents are definitely in those FB groups

I agree that FB groups aren’t the most reliable indicators of enrollment but, as @bobjones4628 pointed out, the number of spots and participants is closely matched for MANY institutions. For the class of 2024, this may be the most reliable data we have, and it is promising for us.

Agh, I just feel sick to my stomach. btw, do you think writing/not writing the alumni scholarship essay had an effect on your admissions? I didn’t write the alumni essay and maybe they thought I didn’t care about UCLA enough?

No it did not have an effect! The majority of people who got in from my school did not write the essay.

Ok, so I just looked into some other FB class of 2024 student groups and discovered that UCLA has two “official” groups, one with 4.8K members and the other with 3.9K. Universities with similar class and FB sizes, such as Rice and Brown, only have only one. This would explain why UCLA’s FB group has such a low number of members compared to their expected class size.

This is also the case for UCB, which has a class size of 6K and only 4.7K members on its “main” FB group (they also have a secondary group with 3.8k members).

To summarize: the number of members on FB groups aligns with class size when there is only one Class of 2024 group, which is not UCLA’s case.

still…I really hope they release some waitlist decisions before May 1st like they did last year. One of my friends last year got off the waitlist in April and they were in state. However they committed to Purdue

I searched FB groups of other universities with similar size and acceptance rate to UCLA’s and here is what I found:

UMich:
Class size: 6.8K
Number of students in all FB groups: 9.9K
Percentage difference: +34%

UCB:
Class size: 6K
Number of students in all FB groups: 8.5K
Percentage difference: +41%

UCLA:
Class size: 6.3K
Number of students in all FB groups: 8.7K
Percentage difference: +38%

NYU (outlier):
Class size: 5.9K
Number of students in all FB groups: 6.7K
Percentage difference: +13%

UCLA’s FB groups are sized as expected and are on par with those of similar institutions