UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

Does the housing and food expenses in the 2021-2022 PAL seem a bit low for UCLA? Is housing/meal plan (unknown which plan) going to cost $16667 or is this just an estimate? Trying to compare costs between different schools and Berkeley is showing $5K more for housing and food.

Hello everyone! Was recently admitted to UCLA c/o 2025. I applied for Alumni Scholarship but have not gotten any message through email or portal about acceptance or rejection. I got a text today from someone in the UCLA Alumni Scholarship department congratulating me on my acceptance and requesting to talk with me sometime soon regarding scholarships. The number is an iPhone number (blue text message color) and is in the 310 area code. Not sure if others got this message, but wanted to see if this is a real message that is worth following on. Thanks!

Actually it’s on the high side for the most typical freshman room and board (classic triple and 14P was $13217 in 2019/20). But I don’t know what will happen to the rates if only double occupancy is allowed

1 Like

Yeah typically an alumni association volunteer. It should be in your financial aid package though.

Like @Twoin18 said 16k is on the higher end. I would recommend either 14p or 19p meal plans. The flexibility p provides is worth the cost. 14 if your kid doesnt eat alot. 19 if they do.

1 Like

Thanks! @twoin18 and @10s4life for the info. What is the p in 14p and 19p?

Premium. Swipes are given for the entire quarter instead of week by week

1 Like

It depends if you want a cooked breakfast or not. If you usually eat cereal or yoghurt in your room then 14P gives you enough for lunch and dinner everyday, whereas 19P gives you enough for breakfast 5 days as well. Carrying the swipes over helps if for example you have guests or go away for the weekend.

I used most of my extra 19p meals on late night food and swiping friends in on weekends from off campus apartments. Never ate breakfast in the dining halls

1 Like

Luckily UCLA has that hill back to housing so those extra swipes don’t add up to the freshman 15. :grin: More students should take a break up the hill by checking out those great tennis matches on the way back to the dorm.

My guess is UCLA freshman can boast the best calf muscles of any other school (hmmm…or may have to compete with Pepperdine freshman for that honor).

2 Likes

The usc tennis center is also quite nice haha. But yeah the hill and general walking students do more than offsets the freshman 15. Plus Bfit and wooden are super close to so no excuses to not gym

1 Like

any UCLA alumni/students know of any good running trails/routes nearby? Preferably not have to drive there. I typically go 2-3 miles total

My daughter wants to know if she can swipe at the In & Out. LOL.

*note did not mean to reply to silverfire888

1 Like

Best trails are Griffith Park, but it’s a drive.

1 Like

We are visiting today! Super excited!

1 Like

Haha I wish… but the dorm food is very good.

1 Like

When I was a student, especially during the Spring Quarter quarantine, I preferred the campus loop. Its in the 2-3 mile range and has some challenging slopes. There is also a professor in residence on the hill that runs a morning running club you might want to join.

1 Like

Enjoy its an amazing campus!

1 Like

hi! housing question here - does anyone know if UCLA is going ahead with triples for first-year dorms in the fall? i read an article from January that said that only doubles would be permitted in the fall, but given the rise in vaccinations and the recent optimistic message, i was wondering if anyone had an idea if triples would be likely to happen? i have 2 potential roommates and we all get along really well, so I was anticipating rooming with both of them. it would suck if we only could do 2, haha. thank you!