UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

I am so sorry to hear this. This same thing happened to my middle son four years ago. It was actually ridiculous. No one at his HS could believe that he was waitlisted when other less qualified students got in under the same engineering major. He had even won national art awards on top of his math and science achievements…go figure. He eventually earned the title of the smartest kid at school to get rejected from the most UCs! Today he is about to graduate from Georgia Tech and has never once looked back. His advice to his younger brother, who was also just waitlisted today is to not worry about it. You cannot take it personally and it is a valuable lesson that sometimes life really is just not fair. Meow747- Ralph Waldo Emerson once said “the reward of a thing well done is having done it”. Your hard work and tenacity have shaped you and are the real reward. Carry that with you and you will do great wherever you land.

11 Likes

accepted as out of state to ucla!! im from georgia

2 Likes

Hey, I’m in big trouble. I was extremely fortunate to have gotten accepted to UCLA today. I submitted my fafsa way before the March 2nd deadline. Unfortunately, when I was filling out the FAFSA form, I DID NOT include UCLA as one of my schools because I never intended to apply for UCLA. After filling out the UC app, I forgot to go back to add UCLA to the fafsa school list? I just returned to my FAFSA form to add it now. How will this affect my financial aid? Has anyone or if you know anyone who has been in situation before help me out? Any advice is welcomed. Thank you!

2 Likes

My son was rejected.
Weighted GPA: 4.29, unweighted GPA: 3.97
Number of a-g courses taken 9-12th: 27 a-g
Number of UC approved Honors/AP/IB or DE classes: 1 honors, 6 AP’s
Intended Major: Film
Non-local CA resident from large public high school, Bay Area
Not ELC
EC’s: Varsity Baseball, acting, lots of film-related EC’s
Accepted to: UCSD, CSULB, CSUN, SF State, Puget Sound, ASU
Waitlisted at: UCD, LMU, UCSC
Rejected at: UCLA, UCI

He is very happy to be admitted to UCSD so it worked out for him.

3 Likes

Decision: Accepted!!
Major applied to: Pre-Public Affairs

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.45
ELC: Yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses):

• AP US History (5)
  • AP Literature (5)
  • AP Biology (3)
  • AP Stats, pending
    -Only 5 AP courses offered at High School

Class rank # 1 of 85

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars:

• ASB President
  • FFA Chapter President, FFA Sectional President
  • Varsity Tennis Captain
  • Founded and Hosts School Podcast
  • Mental Health Video Contest Winner
  • Parliamentary Procedure Debater (many outstanding debater awards)
  • FFA Prepared Public Speaking
  • Rho Kappa
  • Secretary of Mental Health Wellness Club
  • FCA Treasurer

Awards:

• AP Scholar
  • College Board Rural/Small Town Recognition
  • California FFA Creed Speaking State Champion
  • Varsity Tennis MVP
  • 5+ Parliamentary Procedure Outstanding Debater Awards
  • 5+ Sectional and Regional FFA Speaking Awards

Job/Work Experience: Babysitting/Pet Care

Volunteer/Community service: Yes, extensive

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA, Fresno County
Small, rural school

Applied for need-based financial aid? NO

First Generation? NO

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:
Accepted:
UC Davis, with UHP acceptance + scholarship
Cal Poly SLO
Texas A&M
University of Arizona
CSULB
CSU Fresno

Waiting on decisions from:
Stanford
Vanderbilt

I GOT IN FOR PSYCH!! shocked but thrilled
in state
UW GPA 4.0/ W GPA 4.43
10 AP Classes, 2 honors, 2 DEs
Top 9% ELC
Great ECs and PIQs (apparently!)

1 Like

sorry to hear that, probably your friend’s PIQs were better.

Decision: (Daughter) accepted
In state; Neuroscience (first choice major).

Academic Stats. I keep trying to figure out the UC calculation and it comes out differently every time but here goes: UW UC 3.94; W-capped 4.41; W-uncapped 4.68

Comments about course load (including senior year):
26 dual enrollment courses and 10 high school courses. Math through Linear Algebra and Differential Equations, calculus-based physics, lots of biology, electives in music and 4 years foreign language.

Extracurriculars: nationally ranked at her sport with 8 years of competition; club secretary, other club related to her major, competitive research internship 4 years at the same one, certificate of merit, honor society.

Job/Work Experience: tutoring chemistry at the college level

Volunteer/Community service: volunteering with her sporting community

Personal Insight essays (details): Written with little outside input. Showed her passions and desire to make positive changes in the world. Highlighted her work ethic and perseverance in the face of adversity.

Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

Accepted: Cal State LA, CSULB, UCSC, UCD, UCR, Cal Poly SLO, UCLA
Rejected: UCSD, UCI
Waiting: UCSB, UCB

UCLA has been her dream for years; this was a huge day for her and we are all so excited and proud of her. She will most likely be attending.

4 Likes

If the same person reads the PIQ, you can say one was better than the other. With different readers, it’s more what appealed to whom.

5 Likes

The invites have been sent out? It was sent out by email?

1 Like

Congratulations!!

3 Likes

I suspect there’s not enough CS professors because they can make more $$ actually programming for companies. Also, there’s a huge demand for CS and each UC department probably likes to cling to the less popular majors, and to try to keep them open and to keep offering those majors forever even though demand for them is falling like a rock. When those professors finally retire perhaps they will be replaced by more CS professors.

4 Likes

I think it will be fine. I think all colleges can log into your FAFSA as long as you filed one, whether or not you actually listed that college on it. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong.)

Waitlisted. International student applying for math major. Accepted to UCB (early) and UCI.

2 Likes

In my opinion, you will be fine.
You can contact fafsa.

1 Like

I applied for Econ. But I don’t see it in the acceptance letter. Does it mean major is not locked? Thanks.

3 Likes

@Gumbymom Is waitlist worth it? Do kids actually get admitted off the waitlist? What percent?

2 Likes

That info is posted somewhere up the thread where there’s a link to the waitlist discussion. You can also google “common data set UCLA” and find it in there. Last year it was around 360 I think (out of the 11,000+ who accepted a waitlist spot).

1 Like

Same here - accepted, OOS, from GA. What major?
Best wishes to all.

1 Like

My daughter was accepted as well, OOS Letters and Sciences from Metro Atlanta!

3 Likes