UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

My daughter’s good friend attends UCLA (class of 2024) and her first words describing it are “very competitive” - everyone trying to flex and one up each other. Obviously, this cannot be applied to everyone and maybe it is major dependent (she is some sort of pre-med type field).

Just received an email from UCLA financial aid.

1 Like

Amazing outcome. These are my 2024’s dream schools. What were your daughter’s stats, EC’s etc. ?

Is anyone else’s UCLA page down?

nevermind, it’s not down

This is all good info. My son attended a mid-August orientation last year, and he had a fantastic time and made a couple of friends that he’s very close with now.

I agree that the class registration ends up being a fairly level (but crowded) playing field and isn’t impacted by the week of registration attended. Also, my son was also able to switch up his housing after orientation event, so that he ended up with someone who wasn’t completely random. He also spent a little time online with orientation friends once he was back home (playing Madden or MLB The Show or whatever sports games they were into at the time), which made him even more excited to move to campus in September.

2 Likes

GPA Unweighted 3.97, Weighted 5.26 ,Rank 4/1150 kids in a very competitive High school. 17 AP’s. 1520 SAT . Debate and Decca national level awards. Independent research with college professor. Couple of other leadership position.

1 Like

I think premed is competitive everywhere. My daughter is premed at USC. It is extremely competitive. Her friends/clubs tend to not be premed because as you say- everyone is trying to flex, and that annoys her. During Covid- particularly in CA, trying to get shadowing opportunities or meaningful in person volunteering has been tough on students. For kids who don’t want to take a gap year before applying to medical school, it is even more stressful.

What were the courses she took in high school?

Do you mean which high school courses? If so, it was the normal high school sequence of math, science, etc. but she finished that in her freshman year mostly, so switched to college classes to keep challenging herself.

Missed posting this earlier, doing my part as I’ve found so much useful info in CC…

Decision: Accepted
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Environmental Science

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.4
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.7
ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of a-g courses: 24 years
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: 12 years
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 11 (5 tests taken, all 5’s, 6 courses senior year)
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): 0

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars: environmental clubs/activities, speech & debate (nationally ranked, many awards), varsity athlete (for fun, not ranked or recruited), all ECs included leadership roles
Volunteer/Community service: 200+ hours
Summer Activities: environmental research, community service, debate camp
Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA Public
Country (if international applicant): US
First Generation? No

REFLECTION::

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:
accepted: UCSC, UCD, UCSD, UCI, Northeastern, UMD College Park, UMN Twin Cities
waitlisted: Pomona
deferred to RD: Stanford
denied: none so far

3 Likes

Hi @Gumbymom could you please tell me the link of this screenshot or where can i find this data?

What data and what screenshot? What information are you looking for?

1 Like

I’m also confused about your question here, but if there is something I can speak to, please let me know!

do y’all know if ucla is need-blind for oos students or need-aware?

1 Like

need-blind for admissions

1 Like

All UC’s are need blind for admissions and offer little to no FA to OOS applicants. The UC’s assume OOS applicants will be full pay.

2 Likes

yep, full pay :frowning: Not feeling too good about that… but it is what it is

1 Like

yeah, i know they’re full pay for oos, i just expected uc’s to be need-aware for oos students bc if they accept lower-income oos students it’s like decreasing their yield rate since these lower-income oos students are unlikely to enroll. it makes sense that they’re need-blind for in state californians though

yes, i recently got into ucla as well from georgia. you asked me what major/department i applied to and i never responded–but i applied for the college of letters and sciences

2 Likes