UCLA Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

That explains exactly how I am feeling as well. My daughter SIR’d to Berkeley, but with all of the movement from the UCLA waitlist we are sucked back into getting our hopes up.

4 Likes

Well, there’s no way to know that, unless some of the “people” in question are part of Gary Clark’s inner sanctum in UCLA Admissions. As you can appreciate, that sort of “enrollment management” modeling is held very close to the vest.

Certainly UCLA’s yield has crept up over the last 3 years, but it’s just speculation at this point as to what the predicted yield rate was on the initial admits and on the first wave of WL admits.

As for the yield rate being lower than 2018, that seems quite unlikely. UCLA’s long-range yield rate (trailing 10 years) has hovered right at 40%, and UCLA is a highly desirable school. While UCLA won’t yield at 50% every year like it did in 2022, I’d be surprised if the yield dropped below 43% this year or in the foreseeable future, barring another worldwide pandemic.

4 Likes

Just like you & everyone it is speculation. 2018 was about 39%…so lets say 40% thats still a 10% difference from last year. Based what happened with UCLA wl, the yield might be lower this year. Something has changed…

1 Like

Yes you can. Get the I-20 from the current school that you have SIRed and start the F-1 visa application process with it. You still need to gather the financial info and prove to the consular office that you have the financial ability to pay for your kid’s studies in the U.S. If you get off the waitlist later, then update the I-20 in your application with the new one. This type of things happen every year, but I won’t wait for getting off the WL which might or might not happen.

My friend’s son got off the waitlist on 5/6 and he had simply checked the box—he didn’t write or include anything additional! He had already moved on and didn’t accept the offer. It was disheartening to hear that he was selected over students who put a lot of time and effort into LOCI.
My son applied to the School of Engineering and we’ve seen few waitlist admits from those majors. Fingers crossed that something changes in the next day or so.

4 Likes

Agreed, it is all speculation at this point. Historic trends suggest that last year’s high yield of 50.3% was the exception to the rule. There is some great historic trending data available at the site linked below, where one can play with the filter to see UCLA’s annual yield rate from 2000 thru 2022. That historic view of the past 23 years of admissions data show just how anomalous last year’s 50.3% yield was for UCLA.

The data can help lead to more informed speculation. Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist and hoping for positive news.

https://apb.ucla.edu/campus-statistics/admissions

1 Like

What intended Major did your friend’s son apply for?

Hey I had the same question. If I have my F1 visa in my passport which says I will be going to another Uni and then get of the waitlist for UCLA, what would the process be to get that changed if anyone knows?

Something in Letters and Science.

1 Like

what school did he commit to instead?

I was wondering I have recently sir to UCSD and still awaiting UCLA. My question is for ucsd at least does anybody how I am able to view my financial aid/grants given by ucsd or when that information from ucsd and fafsa come out. Should I be able to see it now or does it come out later.

1 Like

Are you asking about potential financial aid for UCLA or for UCSD? The info for UCSD should already be available in your admissions portal. That’s where my daughter has also committed so I can ask her how to find the right tab, but it should already be in there (and would likely be close to the same for all UC campuses).

Yea. That’s what I’m wondering about because I can not find that link or tab or don’t know where to look. Would this be on the triton link or admissions portal.

1 Like

Admissions portal! But when she gets home I’ll try to find out more about the tab and where to find it.

I’ll DM you a photo of where to look for it

I already filled in the DS-160 form according to the I-20 I got from the school I commited. However the USA Embassy requires intervew and they scheduled the interview date to August. Many universities start on mid August.
If I luckilly get off the waitlist I will start the visa aplication again. This time the interview date will be September. I don’t know how to manage this. Maybe the embassy accepts this as an urgent situation and gives an early date.

I think the next wave will come at the weekend.

Thanks.

1 Like

Would you say for transferring is it easier or more likely to get into ucla by transferring from ucsd to ucla or doing the community college route and for 2 years and then transferring to ucla.

UCLA does give similar priority to UC to UC transfers as CC transfers however it may be easier to get a competitive GPA at a CC. Also at a participating CC, you can use the TAP program which gives you a bump in admissions.

UCLA TAP: https://tap.ucla.edu/

I would not attend any UC with the intention of transferring. You need to give either school a chance and you never know you may find that they are actually good fits.

3 Likes