UCLA Nursing

<p>I am recently admitted to UCLA nursing. I want to get some thoughts from current UCLA nursing students about how stressful the curriculum is, how is housing, what you feel about your future and UCLA, how supportive you feel, what you don't feel good about, what you feel good about...</p>

<p>Sorry to ask, I don't know anyone who applied to nursing in my high school. So , I wonder if I can get some thoughts from you.</p>

<p>There is a wonderful person who often posts here–named " Kiley (-: "
– I believe.
she is attending UCLA. you must find her posts. they’re all great.</p>

<p>I wonder if it is possible to have double majors (one is nursing) in UCLA.
@Kelly (-: are you reading this post?</p>

<p>Hi!</p>

<p>I haven’t been on here in awhile, but I just had to click on a thread titled UCLA nursing!</p>

<p>First of all, congratulations!!! Getting in to the school is such a great accomplishment. And I would love to answer any questions you might have about the school and the program.</p>

<p>I just finished up my second quarter at UCLA, and I am totally loving it. The curriculum is quite stressful, but it’s UCLA, what can you expect? At UCLA, you will receive a regular BS degree with a major in nursing, which means you take the same science pre-reqs as all the pre-med, pre-pharm, pre-dental students. Which makes the competition quite fierce! That being said, it is definitely doable. Just a lot of work!</p>

<p>I would recommend living on-campus for your first year. I currently live in a hall, which is community style living and bathrooms. It enables you to meet a lot of people of all different majors and backgrounds. I encourage you to check out the UCLA forum, as there are a lot of housing posts available.</p>

<p>Probably my favorite thing about UCLA, is that you get to experience the big-school vibe and feel, while still receiving personalized private school attention due to being in the school of nursing. It is exactly what I was looking for. That said, it’s not for everyone. If you haven’t visited the campus, I encourage you to, before you make any decisions. Oh, and the fact that it’s direct entry was a pretty big factor as well. (:</p>

<p>I definitely feel supported. The nursing school provides a strict four year plan, and I receive regular emails from an assigned adviser. The program has a strong community feel, and there are many opportunities to request help and guidance.</p>

<p>Hopefully I was able to answer some of your questions, if you have any other questions or want detailed information on anything, feel free to PM me!</p>

<p>@2015parent,</p>

<p>I’m 99% positive that it is not possible to double major with one being nursing at UCLA. There’s a strict four year plan to follow, with at least one summer being spent at UCLA. It’s a stretch even to minor, but it is doable, if one is willing to take summer classes or take a very heavy course load each quarter.</p>

<p>Thanks Kiely!
My D has received the housing application. She is thinking maybe she should wait for Bruins Day to check recidece hall. I am not sure what community style is. Do you live with other nursing students in the same hall?</p>

<p>I think waiting for Bruins Day is a great idea. She’ll be able to view all her different housing options and get a feel for which she prefers.</p>

<p>I currently live in a a triple in Dykstra Hall. For halls, most of the rooms are triples, the floor is co-ed, and there is one girls and one guys bathroom that everyone shares. They are cleaned daily, and I have never experienced any type of wait.</p>

<p>I personally love living in a hall, especially for the first year. I think it’s a great way to meet new people. Housing is not determined by major, but a survey determining sleeping habits and living preferences. However, I definitely see my nursing major friends quite often, as we all have an extremely similar schedule. (:</p>

<p>The other option is suite style living, which is more expensive. Several rooms share one bathroom and shower. This is preferable if you like a quieter atmosphere, but the majority of first years I know in plazas wish they lived in a hall for the more social atmosphere.</p>

<p>Hope this helps! (:</p>

<p>Thanks Kiley!</p>

<p>You wrote : you take the same science pre-reqs as all the pre-med, pre-pharm, pre-dental students. Which makes the competition quite fierce! </p>

<p>The above statement scares me some. But your words “it is doable” is encouraging!</p>

<p>May I ask: how many courses did you take per quarter? what are they? also, is there a way that I can check the textbooks are used in UCLA courses? My D took some APs and cc courses, I am unsure if she should repeat the classes since UCLA is so competitive.</p>

<p>It is a little intimidating, but if your daughter did well enough to be accepted to the program, then I am sure she will do great. (:</p>

<p>The first two quarters of freshman year, I took 4 classes. This next quarter, I’m only taking 3.</p>

<p>Fall Quarter: Math 3A (calculus, can be tested out of with 4-5 on AP Calc BC or 5 on Calc AB), Nursing 10 (nursing ethics), Communications 10 (intro to communications), and Music 15 (GE)</p>

<p>Winter Quarter: Chem 14A (general chemistry), History 4 (GE), Nursing 20 (nursing ethics), Anatomy (with cadavers! very exciting!)</p>

<p>Spring Quarter: Chem 14B, Life Science 2 (the cell), Psychology 10 (intro to psych)</p>

<p>I came in with 36 AP credits and was able to skip the Writing 1 requirement. Most of the other credits were not applicable to specific classes, but they have helped with class sign up time. Textbooks vary depending on which professors are teaching the courses and can be viewed after one enrolls for a class. I have been able to find all my textbooks quite cheap through buying from former students and online bargain hunting. (: </p>

<p>Here are the applicable AP credits for the nursing school, along with the nursing requirements.</p>

<p>[AP</a> Credit - School of Nursing - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions](<a href=“http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/APCreditNS.htm]AP”>http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/APCreditNS.htm)</p>

<p>[Degree</a> Requirements | UCLA School of Nursing](<a href=“http://nursing.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=73]Degree”>http://nursing.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=73)</p>

<p>I’m not sure which cc classes your daughter took, but she could always enroll in an advanced class and decide to drop down to the lower level if it proved too difficult. If you drop within the first two weeks I believe, it does not show on your transcript.</p>

<p>im admitted as a transfer =D
Yay for us!</p>

<p>I’m a junior in high school and i really want to go to ucla nursing school.
I would like to ask for some tips regarding the admission process :slight_smile:
Do you recommend that I take the sat2 even though it is no longer required? And would i stand a better chance of getting accepted if I take the subject tests? If so, then should the tests be science related like chemistry and biology? Thank you</p>

<p>I am going to start my first year in community college and my dream is to transfer to UCLA’s School of Nursing. Since you have been accepted as a transfer, I would like to know what you did to get in. Did you intern anywhere or maybe volunteer? How were your grades?</p>

<p>@Mikihehe,</p>

<p>I was admitted as a freshman into the nursing program, and while they don’t require any SATII tests, I think it’d definitely look better to take a few. For me, I took Math-2 (score: 800), Biology (720), and Physics (650). I didn’t take chemistry because AP chem wasn’t offered my junior year, so I took the physics instead. The best advice I can give you is to apply EARLY. Admission (I believe) are dependent on a rolling process, so while you may be fully qualified, you could be waitlisted. </p>

<p>If you have any other questions contact me anytime c: I’m starting the program in the fall, so admissions was fairly recent for me.</p>

<p>omg how were you admitted as a transfer? i’ve been trying to find someone who has been admitted. could you pleease help me? how long were you in community college? what classes did you take each semester? anyone please help me. anyone who has transferred in to the school of nursing from community college</p>

<p>Hi I’m currently a high school junior who really wants to do undergrad nursing at UCLA…
I was wondering if it’s SUPER-COMPETITIVE to get in like less than 10% admission rate…</p>

<p>Can you post your stats? I just wanted to see if I am at par with some of the accepted students for UCLA nursing. I am cuurrently a junior who really wants to get accepted to UCLA nursing program</p>

<p>@bisangee: Good luck to you! I applied UCI/UCLA/ASU for Nursing. I got into ASU’s Nursing program. I also got into UCI, but unfortunately, not their nursing program which was a huge bummer for me because that is my dream school :frowning: My best advice would be cram in those AP classes, become involved in lots of Extra curricular activities, and volunteer in a hospital setting. Of course, that’s probably nothing you haven’t heard before. Keep your SAT score above 2000. </p>

<p>I am still waiting for UCLA to send out their decisions…I kind of doubt I will get into UCLA if I didn’t get into UCI’s nursing program. But anyways, good luck and keep up the good work in school! </p>

<p>However, if anyone who has gotten into UCLA nursing please do post your stats I would like to see also if I am in the running for nursing…</p>

<p>I got waitlisted to UCLA Nursing :frowning: is there a way to know my rank if I opt in for a spot on the wait list?</p>

<p>Hi,
I got accepted into UCLA major in Chemistry. However, I just find out that UCLA offers Nursing major. So, I would like to change my major to nursing. Is it possible for me to do that? Or what should I do in order to get accepted into Nursing at UCLA?
Thanks</p>

<p>@Kiley(: do you remember when and how you found out that you had been admitted UCLA school of nursing?</p>