UCLA, USC, or CSSSA Summer Theatre Pre-College Programs

My daughter was accepted into many pre-college summer theatre programs, but she has narrowed her choices down to Emerson, UCLA, USC, or CSSSA. Her first choice is UCLA because it’s one of her first choices for college, but does anyone know anything about the CSSSA program? She is a junior and many of the programs are geared towards her age group, whereas the CSSSA program is for 9-12. However, it looks very interesting. We would love to hear from anyone who has completed any of these programs.

1 Like

If she has a choice, CSSSA. Without a doubt. Incredibly hard to get into. The most prestigious IMO.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice. We really appreciate it!

And I forgot to mention that yes, she did get accepted to CSSSA. I guess my concern was that it was sort of a more general program for all ages whereas the UCLA and USC program actually help prepare you for auditions in the Fall and they are geared towards students who are about to apply to college. You also live on the campus so you can see what it might be like to go to school there. On the other hand, if the prestige of CSSSA outweighs all of this and they really get to improve at acting, singing, dancing, etc., then we will choose it.

1 Like

Well… that is a personal call… what does she need most? Can you find out about matriculation from the various programs? For example, does NYU take a lot of kids from the UCLA program, etc. Does she have an agent? Where do they recommend? and how are her socials/followers? That’s a thing now for actors/theater majors. This is a big decision. You might want to find a college counselor who specializes in theater kids and ask their opinion. I think it would be worth the $$ for an hour of conversation. Like I always say: Don’t guess! Good luck… she has great choices!

I attended CSSSA as a junior in '08, so I recognize that my experience is outdated. Still, I can singlehandedly credit CSSSA for steering me toward Princeton, where I received a nearly full ride due to my ability in the arts. Outside of Princeton, I was only interested in applying to conservatory programs, but honestly, after having worked in the arts for over a decade now, I’m so grateful for what that program did for me.
My good friend from the program ended up going to Juilliard for theater if New York is on your daughter’s radar.