UCLA vs Northwestern vs WashU for Psychology

I’m very grateful to have been accepted to these amazing universities! I know this kind of post is super common but it’s now coming around to that time to make my final decision and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I’m from SoCal (~1 hour drive from LA) and was admitted under Psychology for all 3 schools, although I know myself to be pretty indecisive and was potentially leaning towards switching to a major more suited for pre-med. I have been heavily involved in music throughout high school although I don’t intend to major in it. I have visited UCLA and Northwestern, but not WashU. I’ll try not to ramble on but just want to jot down my thoughts regarding each school!

UCLA:

I like the proximity to home, the great weather, social scene, beautiful campus, and location in LA. D1 sports/marching band is a plus but not essential as I’m sure I’ll be able to find opportunities to continue music elsewhere. Knowing other students already is nice as well, but not as important as I’ll likely be making new friends anywhere I attend.

My biggest worry is that I’ll just be a number here (large class sizes, lacking advising and limited resources, difficult to enroll in desired classes), and that it’ll be hard to make connections with professors and do research if I end up sticking with pre-med. I’m sure I’ll get a great education, but just know individual attention might be hard to come by.

Northwestern:

Small class sizes, much better advising, D1 sports (so, marching band), easier to make relationships with professors & thus more opportunities for research (huge endowment too), Evanston is a great college town with Chicago in close range, proximity to family in Milwaukee (~1 hour by Amtrak + Uber)- I’d add that this is family I don’t see often due to living in SoCal so it’d actually be nice to be so close to them.

A lot of my worries revolve around the weather- it’s probably been said a million times w/ this school, but as a SoCal native it’d be a big adjustment. Visited the campus last week and found it to be pretty dreary (seasonal depression?) by comparison to the warmer months depicted in pictures, although still pretty and easily walkable. I’ve also heard the social scene tends to be limited to Greek life. I’ve heard conflicting info on whether music opportunities are slim here for non-majors, as NU’s music school is one of the top in the nation. Also have heard some complaints about the academic culture.

WashU:

Similar pros as NU- class size, advising, research and professor relationships, etc. I’d say I’m least familiar with WashU’s campus but have heard (and seen online) it’s beautiful and that the dorms/food are above average. Have heard good things about the friendly culture here, and proximity to St. Louis is nice (although smaller than LA/Chicago, still larger than my current suburb)

I’ve heard the social scene is lacking, that St. Louis can be a sleepy city (not as much of a dealbreaker as I’m not too concerned about the “college bubble”). I don’t have family near here like at NU or UCLA. D3 sports (and effect on social scene?) so marching band not really viable. Again, not so much a dealbreaker as I’m sure there are other opportunities to pursue music. Weather can be volatile but I’d imagine not as cold as NU(?)

Price is not a huge difference at all 3- not sure how this worked out, but NU and WashU both ended up cheaper than UCLA with my current financial aid packages, but only marginally: UCLA ~23k/yr, NU ~ 21k, and I think WashU was actually around ~18-19k? So, price isn’t the biggest factor for me.

I would note that UCLA and NU are on the quarter system while WashU on semester. Have heard conflicting arguments for & against the quarter system so not sure how to take that.

Thanks again for any insight anyone can give on this coming choice! I appreciate any input :slight_smile:

I’d pick NU over WashU in a heartbeat IMO your choice is between UCLA and NU. Both excellent schools so no wrong choice. There is no getting around that it’s cold in Evanston in the winter and we definitely have all four seasons. Only you can decide if that’s a deal breaker.

Yes, it is difficult for non music majors to have opportunities here, but I don’t think marching or pep band is that restrictive. Probably depends on what instrument you play. Can you reach out to admissions to ask if you can speak to a student in the marching band to ask about their experiences?

I have a family member at NU now, who is pre med, and having a great experience. Small classes, great advising, and facilities. She loves the ease of double majoring and minoring. She’s always busy socially and not involved in Greek life.

Hope this helps. Congrats on excellent acceptances!

6 Likes

I have to agree with momofboiler1 … I would choose Northwestern over WashU. As you pointed out, camjlara41, Northwestern and WashU are similar in many ways, so it would be helpful to eliminate one of the two, to help you really focus on comparing / contrasting that university to the university you are most familiar and comfortable with, UCLA.

It is also very helpful that all 3 universities are similar in price. It is crazy that both NW and WashU are cheaper than your in state UCLA!

Given who you are and what you have described, my vote for you is:

1)Northwestern
2)UCLA
3)WashU

Good luck with your decision. All 3 are obviously world class universities so be confident that whichever you choose, you will be exposed to wonderful opportunities!

5 Likes

Congratulations on your acceptances. A third vote for NU, with both other schools behind in the dust. You will adjust to the weather, same as the other 9M people who live in Chicagoland.

There is much NU social life outside Greek life…about 20% of students are in Greek life, so obviously 80% are not. I can’t speak to music opportunities if you aren’t a major, but that should be relatively easy to find out with a phone call or two.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I have to disagree and pick WASHU (my bias is that I have a student currently there having an amazing experience socially and academically) over NU given your concerns. The climate is MUCH better than in Chicago - don’t underestimate the fact that NU campus is directly on Lake Michigan and how bitterly cold that is in winter with the wind coming off the lake. Also, I am from the Chicago area and our winter weather here can easily last from late Oct until late April. In St Louis you will get at least 6 more weeks of nice weather in both the Fall and Spring. Also, if you are at all considering pre-med, you cannot go wrong with WASHU. Are you able to visit WASHU?

6 Likes

Wow - awesome choices.

It’s a psych degree - either you’re going to grad school or frankly, if you’re getting a job, not sure it matters which.

I think your con is a huge con.

I think from Northwestern and WUSTL - if you’re after a name, prestige, it’s clearly Northwestern. But should it matter? You do have proximity to Milwaukee and your pro of UCLA is being home - so that makes sense and I’d choose NW as this comfort matters to you.

I think you can make connections to profs at all three - but that’s up to you.

And I would put St. Louis and WUSTL above Northwestern and Evanston as far as environment. It’s simply one of the coolest cities out there!!!

I think quarter vs. semester matters too - which is best for you? I’ve only got kids on semester and it’s tought. Faster timing would be harder - but you’d have less classes (at least one).

To me, NW fits your comfort of being home (it’s near relatives) and D1 sports. As for band, I’m sure there are ways for you to continue with music.

But you don’t have a bad choice and given your major of psych, I don’t think it really matters.

it’s what is best for you.

Good luck.

1 Like

These are all great schools, and you are right to presume (generally) smaller class sizes, better advising, and more direct prof interaction at Northwestern and Wash U compared to UCLA.

I would choose Northwestern over Wash U due to your family connection in Milwaukee. Don’t sweat the weather – just bring a warm coat, some sweaters/sweatshirts, a hat, and gloves, and you’ll be fine. Maybe a scarf. hehe

So then it’s Northwestern vs. UCLA. And even with added travel cost to Nortwestern, they’re about the same price. NU will cost less overall because chicago is less expensive than LA. So – I’d choose Northwestern.

5 Likes

Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses!

I’m actually curious what specifically about NU puts it far ahead of WashU from your perspectives, because at least to me these schools seemed near equal caliber.

Unfortunately I doubt it, with the May 1 deadline approaching and school responsibilities these next weeks (plus AP tests coming up). Actually, I was only able to visit NU because they flew me out. Obviously a virtual tour won’t compare to seeing campus in person but I’m hoping it might give me an idea.

Thanks again for all the responses, it’s a huge help!

I lean toward NU because its social scene is far better than WashU’s (which you mentioned you had concerns about). I also think Chicago >>>> St. Louis, plus you would be close to some family in Milwaukee. Big picture they are equal caliber as you said.

I do think pre-med will be a grind at all these schools if you go that way (I would recommend none of them for pre-med to be frank)…you will likely get better advising, prof contact, research and clinical opportunities at NU and WashU than UCLA.

6 Likes

I agree with you that these are academic peer schools but based on what you said about yourself and your interests, I think NU is the better fit. (And for full disclosure, I’m totally biased because I have family at NU and live in the area and adore Evanston ; )).

Our family member absolutely loves the quarter system because of ease of double majoring and minoring. It does move quickly but there is one less class/quarter than at a semester based schools.

3 Likes

I think a perception that NU is more social than WashU is misinformed. WashU is definitely a work hard / play hard place where it is not difficult to pick just how social you want to be (I.e how many nights per week you want to go out and have fun). There is a tight knit sense of community and STL is a lesser known hidden gem filled with interesting neighborhoods and great restaurants. I think if you stepped on campus you’d be done and heading to STL. I also think you are correct that the student body is both smart, ambitious and nice and welcoming - you don’t find this everywhere!

7 Likes

I think you’ll end up doing an “eenie meenie miney moe” here, since they’re all wonderful schools.

My D18 went from NorCal to Ann Arbor and adjusted to the weather. In fact, we arrived for “CA Admitted Student Day” to 28 degrees and snowing in March 2018. Most adjust, but some don’t.

D21 attends SLO, which is a quarter-based school. She loves it. IMO, you get more cracks (8 semesters vs 12 quarters) at improving your GPA, if needed, and a bad quarter, if any, is just 1/12 of your final GPA calculation. It’s fast-paced, but the one minor drawback may be your academic calendar is different than most other schools around the country, if that matters.

Anyway, I’ll swim upstream here and say go to UCLA. The reputation for food is great, I believe they produce the most med school apps than any other school in the US and there’s nothing like wearing shorts and flip flops (male here) all year round. And you get D1 sports!

2 Likes

Great choices. As an NU alum, Go CATS!
My rank would be NU>UCLA>WashU.

Not sure if you would be traveling from OC or LA, but having direct flights to Chicago is probably easier (more flights) than St. Louis, too (especially if you’re in OC).

5 Likes

Casting my vote for UCLA :slight_smile:

My D22 is having such a wonderful time this year. She feels like it’s the perfect mix of great academics, great quality of life, and great fun. Plus LA itself is amazing (but you know this already)!

Your choices are amazing… you really can’t go wrong.

2 Likes

A bit of a side note here, but two things to mention. First, every prof has office hours weekly and yet few students ever darken their doorway except after exams to argue about grading. If you want to get to know profs at UCLA or any other school, you can.

Second, if you want to do research because of a real desire to take part that’s great. But it’s not important for med school admissions at most schools. Once it was expected but for the past 20+ years the expectation has shifted to exposure to medical care thru shadowing, volunteering, etc. It’s actually an unwritten requirement for admission.

2 Likes

You can take the pre-med courses alongside any major that is not highly voluminous with courses that do not overlap with pre-med courses (i.e. more liberal arts and science majors).

2 Likes

Go see them if you can. Once you see WashU I bet you might pick it. It is much better weather than NU and imo the campus is prettier. Both have a work hard-play hard mix, with an overall academic feel. NU might be slightly more known nationally but not significantly. UCLA is a completely different school and not similar the other two, size or social scene or anything. UCLA is a distant 3rd place.

5 Likes

Northwestern for sure - what a wonderful school!

3 Likes

I strongly agree with other posters here, if you were to actually be able to visit WASHU, I think you would put it ahead of NU. It is really one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. Socially it is amazing - with something for everyone. The only thing missing is D1 sports. Look at the campus, Loop area and Forest Park via google maps if you are unable to visit. Look into their med-prep program if at all thinking of pre-med. Google the medical school admission rates for WASHU graduates. It is easy to double major or switch majors and many students graduate with a double major and a minor.

UCLA and NU are also amazing - every school has pros/cons. You will have to prioritize what those are for yourself but ultimately any of the 3 are winners. Congratulations!

5 Likes

As far as academics go, you’ll be in great shape no matter your choice, so if you really like the vibe at Northwestern, go with that. It’s easier to travel to SoCal from Chicago than it is from St. Louis, if that’s a factor. Don’t worry about the weather. I’m an LA native who hasn’t lived in a warm-weather climate since graduating high school (and lived within a 2-hour radius of Chicago for over a decade). Nice weather all the time is boring. Evanston is a great college town, and Chicago is an exciting city! Bring one light jacket and one heavy one. Hats, scarf, and gloves. You’ll be fine.

4 Likes