UCLA vs. UCSB

<p>I’m OOS- kansas. Upon exploring UCSB as my safe match, I fell in love with it. It should be noted that I’ve never visited… just looked at pics and facebook groups. I’m a complete beach freak, so I was so excited about UCSB’s location. I also love partying but am not into the sorority scene. I heard that only a tiny fraction of the parties are Greek. Isla Vista sounds so cool too.</p>

<p>Now this acceptance from UCLA… what to do? I visited there a year ago, I thought it was gorgeous and would be a nice place to live. How far is it from the ocean? How is the social life?</p>

<p>If you are paying OOS tuiton go. to. UCLA.</p>

<p>It's pretty close to the Ocean. IMO UCLA has a better location than UCSB. Think about it, on one side you have santa monica, on another Bel Air and on another Beverly Hills. </p>

<p>And yes, with OOS tuition any school but UCB and UCLA would be a waste.</p>

<p>uhhhhhh lol</p>

<p>UCLA easy.</p>

<p>I'm from southern california and have lots of friends at both schools. santa barbara is a great school, but it is clearly labled a party school. It is a harder place to fit in if serious studying is a top priority. Though they do have some great departments ( i think the writting program is especially good), overall reputation wise UCLA is held to a much higher esteem. If the beach is really important UCSB is closer, but UCLA is very much in reach. Westwood is also a really cool area, but so is Santa Barbara. The location for both is incredible. As far as the UCLA social life, they have one major advenatage- serious sports teams. It is a great community and there is a great rivalry. Nothing quite like that is at Santa Barbara. I think you would be happy either way, but if your paying out of state as the previous posters said I think you are going to be walking away with a much more valued education at UCLA.</p>

<p>To the OP, you fell in love with the photos. Definitely visit. It is the only way to really see if the pictures match the reality. People have chosen UCSB over UCLA, some just thinking that it would be a little easier and more fun. After my son's experience at UCLA, I would say congratulations on your acceptance and head out to Westwood!</p>

<p>Do the answers change if on the UCSB side it's UCSB/College of Creative Studies?</p>

<p>I think you should visit both schools. I always thought I would like UCLA better knowing it's location, campus, sports, and academics are all amazing....BUT after seeing both places I definitely liked UCSB better. UCSB's atmosphere is so laid-back, it is just a great place to be.</p>

<p>But if visiting isn't an option, go with you gut.</p>

<p>I can't say about that particular major, but generally speaking, UCLA is just a top school. I can't think of a major that would persuade me to choose UCSB over UCLA, but there are other considerations. Even with all of these cc opinions, a visit is still so important. The location and reputation are a consideration, but take in what we all say and then make your own decision. UCSB is on the beach and for some that is something they dream about. The party scene is very definitely exciting at UCSB. Both of these schools will give you an unforgettable experience.</p>

<p>UCSB sounds like a way better place to go IMO. They’re ranked almost the same, but honestly, that hardly matters. It just matters if you’re happy. I’m from Kansas too and UCSB would be my choice.</p>

<p>UCLA is, by all measures the better choice. </p>

<p>But if UCSB is a much better personal match, and you know you won’t change your opinion, then it is also an acceptable choice.</p>