UCLA vs. UNC

My dad tried calling so many people today. They are all working remotely, and none of them are taking phone calls, only emails. Once we emailed them with our questions, we were sent a general pdf on the residency requirements, nothing specific to our email.The email also stated to expect a response in about 5-7 days, and who knows if this will just be another vague email.
I really don’t know what to do, I don’t think I can wait that long to see if UCLA is even a potential option. We were hoping to know today so if it still a possibility we could try and plan a flight very soon. With housing applications opening up on April 1, I am feeling very stressed and am worried about making a rushed decision.
Does anyone have any advice? Any other people to contact? I really don’t want to have to eliminate UCLA just because of this predicament.

I would try calling one of the other campuses and see if you can get a better response. The residency requirements are the same system wide and come from the University of California, Office of the President, legal dept. You could try and contact them first. UC Legal - Office of the General Counsel | UCOP

Unfortunately, we’ve already tried that. We called 3 other UC schools and they all are working remotely.

I don’t think you need to call anyone - all the answers will be in their policy.

You likely will not qualify.

https://www.ucop.edu/residency/residency-requirements.html

Hmm. I read the rules that tsbna44 offered. I have the impression that if Fa has a place in CA @June, and the Op goes out with him, obtains a license or other proof of residency, then in 366 days, he could qualify for in state tuition.

Very frustrating to have not accurate info.

There was a second tab you had to read to dig deeper. I read he wouldn’t qualify.

Well perhaps the research needed to be done sooner. The student has until May 1 to get an answer.

Can always book the airline ticket to go see April 1. Everyone is letting you cancel…or book Southwest…they allow a cancel.

Besides, he made it seem like he wanted to get away from NC - so he was going regardless.

The student can have his cake and eat it too - book the ticket on southwest to go see ucla and he’ll likely have his answer prior in case he decides to cancel.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Great options if it weren’t for the difference in COA.

FWIW I would enjoy a thread in which one had four options = UCLA, UNC-Chapel Hill, Univ. of Texas at Austin, and the Univ. of Michigan. OP: Be grateful that your options are less complicated.

I find it funny that the pedigree thing is where all these conversations come from. UT Austin has pedigree - more than Florida, for example.

Yet ranking wise - it wouldn’t belong in this conversation - Florida might. William and Mary might. But not UT Austin.

It’s just funny that even with rankings, long term perceptions outweigh them.

And even if you think you may qualify, you have to apply and may or may not have your application for in state tuition accepted.

Honestly, I’m starting to think I’ll end up at UNC. UCLA is looking risky not knowing if I’ll receive in-state tuition, and also the possibility of virtual classes, where UNC has said classes will be in-person.
And if I do go to UNC for undergrad, there will always be UCLA for grad school!

5 Likes

You almost need a law degree to parse the nuances of the UC residency requirement. I’m not a lawyer.

But anyway, there are clauses that seem to bestow residency if a parent moves to CA and other clauses that take it away. To wit:

1. Dependent of a California Resident Parent (Condit Bill) - an out-of-state Dependent Student whose natural or adoptive California Parent qualifies for a Resident Classification is eligible for a limited duration Resident Classification for one academic year. The Student may thereafter be eligible to receive a Resident Classification if the Student has concurrently fulfilled the Residency Requirements during the one-year period and the Parent maintains the Resident Classification. Required documentation may include child custody/support decree, birth certificate, and other documents as may be requested to demonstrate ParentChild relationship. Failure to concurrently fulfill the requirements by the relevant deadlines will result in reclassification as a Nonresident for subsequent terms which cannot be reversed at appeal. Students who have been physically present in California more than one-year after age 18 are not eligible for this provision.

www.ucop.edu/uc-legal/_files/ed-affairs/uc-residence-policy.pdf

So if dad moves to CA then after a year he could be considered a CA resident provided he does all the things they say elsewhere (register to vote, register cars, etc). And the kid then can claim residency thru dad Or at least so it seems until the last sentence. If the OP moves to CA and enrolls at UCLA at the same time dad moves to CA then the provision in this excerpt no longer applies. It sounds like the kid would need to take a gap year and then move to CA after his dad has been here one year. Except UCs don’t offer a gap year, he’d need to decline the offer and then hope he gets accepted the following year, being sure in the meantime not to take any college classes or else he’d be considered a transfer.

My guess is the OP is going to be a Tar Heel.

2 Likes

Exactly. The regulations are set up in a way specifically so that you/parent can not move to CA to get instate tuition.

You make a good point on the odds of online vs. in-person (and about grad school). You have a good attitude.

FWIW, my DD’19 was at first not happy about going somewhere that was common for kids from our HS to attend, even when I pointed out that HS alumni made up about .3% of the students. Getting on the FB page for accepted students made her realize it was going to be a different world. She ended up being glad that there were a couple of girls from her class around to lean on at first, but made new friends pretty easily.

1 Like

Everyone is saying the are coming back. They have to - or kids won’t go there.

If there’s still covid, they’ll flip if they need too - just as UNC did when they cancelled the semester first week.

That’s all marketing. I would not go by what the school says now as far as in person. I’m sure that’s the intent - but doesn’t mean it will happen.

2 Likes

Thought I would update - we were finally able to talk with someone with residency. We were able to guarantee in state tuition for the last 3 years at UCLA. It is a bit more complicated than we thought though, and I would pretty much have to become a resident (license and voter registration) and for the first year I would have to stay in California permanently with only 6 weeks to leave the state for breaks.
I really don’t know where to go from here, if anyone could provide any other factors to consider of each school I would greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

My biggest concern at UCLA is virtual classes, and the lady we spoke to today said they were still trying to figure out the logistics of classes next year, which raised a red flag for me.

How could they guarantee in state tuition? I am pretty sure you would need to apply and be approved.

1 Like

She pretty much outlined the steps we would need to take, and if we did what we were told, she said we would qualify for instate tuition for my last 3 years.

1 Like

Exactly. This is how graduate students are able to establish residency and get in-state tuition after their first year as well. It’s a fairly straightforward process; the important thing is gathering as much documentation as possible to show that you and your parent(s) have the intention of living in California permanently.

That said, jntwinmama is correct that this is not an automatic process with a guaranteed outcome, so that’s something to keep in mind.

A post was split to a new thread: Establishing California Residency for Tuition purposes