UConn Nursing

<p>I was wondering what exactly UConn's program is like. I have already looked at the curriculum which is pretty good, but what about the clinicals. Since UConn is very rural, how far do you have to travel in order to get to the clinicals? Also, are they at good hospitals? Does it give you all the experience you need for when you graduate?</p>

<p>I believe you matriculate into the UCONN nursing program verses a school like UMASS BC Simmons NU etc where you are guaranteed a spot into the nursing program. </p>

<p>Its not a big deal for good student, but should be aware. URI is the same way. I am guessing if you get a low grade in one class and they don’t like you I am assuming you will sit out a semester or two and wait until the next class picks up. They fill your spot with transfers. I am assuming they also do this just in case they overbook, but maybe someone else can provide better info on this…</p>

<p>Actually both UConn and URI are direct entry 4 year BSN Programs - which means you are accepted directly into the Nursing major for your freshman year of college. All direct entry 4 year BSN programs have minimum grade requirements (GPA and minimum grades in certain courses) that students are required to comply with and if a student does not comply they cannot continue in the Nursing Program. Students may be given an opportunity to retake classes in order to comply but this frequently would lead to them having to add time to get their degree. </p>

<p>I believe at least some of the Nursing clinicals are held at the UConn Medical Center in Farmington, about 30 miles from Storrs. The UConn Medical Center is one of the top Medical Centers in the Northeast so training there should be good (assuming good clinical instructors). Good luck.</p>

<p>URI is slightly different from UConn in its program requirements. Please see my comments on URI on the “URI Direct Entry?” thread on this Board.</p>

<p>The other programs I mentioned guarantee you a spot unlike saying NUR 203 is competitive. I take it as a fine print clause you need to read with a magnified glass…Buyer beware is my point. There is a difference. Being accepted and maintaining GPA is not the same… I emailed URI and they said no guarantee. </p>

<p>I don’t understand why they wont guarantee a spot? Only thing I can think think of is to weed out kids “they” don’t think will succeed (nclex) before nursing starts even though they have the GPA. </p>

<p>Still both are great nursing schools. URI is far from providence and boston for clinicals.</p>

<p>What would really be useful information to obtain from URI, assuming they have been following this course of action for at least several years, is the average percentage of students who meet minimal requirements who are accepted into the second year of the Nursing Program every year. This would help determine the degree of risk in deciding to go there.</p>

<p>There might be a number of reasons why URI decided to administer their Program in this manner. IMHO one of the most likely reasons is for self-protection. Most all direct entry Nursing Programs accept more students than they really want to have in their freshman class, knowing that a number of students will decide to attend other Programs. The number actually accepted is usually based on past experiences/mathematical formulas. However at times these projections don’t pan out and the Program ends up with a larger freshman class then they can handle in future years for clinical placements. This may be URI’s way to possibly address this potential problem should they end up in this situation (which is why they say they can’t “guarantee” a spot to students at this point) </p>

<p>My perspective would be that if URI finds themselves in this situation I suspect they would accept into the identified number of spaces they have available based upon a student’s cumulative GPA from required Nursing Program courses (bio and chem classes, a writing course, and an Introductory Nursing course). For example if they have 125 spaces, the 125 students with the highest cumulative GPA’s in these courses would be the students allowed to continue in the Program. I doubt the selection would be based upon which students were felt to have the best chance of passing the NCLEX exam. If this were the case then URI would also administer the HESI Nursing Program entrance exam (which is not the same HESI exam given to Senior Nursing students) to determine this and I don’t believe they do this (at least it is not included in the on-line Program description). Just my perspective.</p>

<p>I certainly agree that both URI and UConn have excellent Nursing Programs.</p>