UCR or UCSB? Help!

So I recently got admitted to both UCR and UCSB and I’m having trouble deciding where to commit. I’m majoring in psychology and so far I don’t know much about either school’s psychology program and I’m not able to attend either open house day. I would just like to know your opinion on what school to go to for my major and based off the pros and cons!

UCR Pros:
Close to home
Nice campus (I’ve visited 2 times before)
Smaller
Known for social sciences(?)
Research school
Quieter, not a party school

UCR Cons:
I’m not 100% sure about the area; not close to a major city
I guess a less of “prestigious” UC

UCSB Pros:
Love the area
Higher “prestige”
I believe psychology might be BS instead of BA
Also a research school

UCSB Cons:
Far from home
Party school rep? Not much of a party person

Are you able to visit UCSB at all between now and May 1? It’s a close call between the 2. Ordinarily I would say UCSB because of the better prestige and rankings, but it sounds like other things that are important to you may be at play here such that the decision is very personal…

UCR offers a BA or BS in Psychology. https://psychology.ucr.edu/undergraduate-study/

UCSB is a BS degree in Psychological and Brain Sciences and you are admitted as a Pre-Major.

Admission to the major is contingent upon fulfilling the following requirements: 1) At least a 2.7 University of California grade-point average earned in courses listed in Area I; 2) At least a 2.0 UC GPA in courses listed in Area II; 3) No Pre- Major course with a grade lower than C-; 4) Not more than one Pre-Major course with a C-; 5) No courses taken P/NP; 6) Students must satisfy Pre-Major courses and GPA requirement prior to the completion of 144 total units.
PRE-MAJOR UNITS YET TO COMPLETE Area I courses:
PSY 1, MATH 34A (or 2A or 3A), and PSTAT 5A or equivalent…13-14
PSY 10A, 10B… 10
Note: Students must complete PSY 1, MATH 34A (or 2A or 3A), PSTAT 5A or equivalent, and CHEM 1A or 2A, 1B or 2B prior to enrolling in PSY 10A, and PSY 10A is a prerequisite for PSY 10B.
Area II courses:
CHEM 1A or 2A, 1B or 2B … 6 MCDB 1A or 6 and EEMB 2 or 7 … 7

Ultimately it will come down to personal preference and since you will be spending 4 years at either school, you really should try to visit to make sure UCSB or UCR will be your best fit.

Does this mean that for UCSB as a Pre-Major, it will take longer to actually get into my major? Does this mean graduating later compared to UCR?

It does not mean it will take longer to graduate from UCSB, but you are not guaranteed your major at UCSB unless you meet the requirements to declare the major.

You list a “con” for UCR as not being close to a major city. Riverside has a population of 328K. UCSB is 20 minutes north of the city of Santa Barbara (pop 92K).

UCSB recently changed the focus of their psych dept. You might read more about the department here: https://www.psych.ucsb.edu/undergrad