UCR vs Chapman vs USF vs UCSC vs Santa Clara

I need help to decide between:

Data Science at Chapman

Data Science at UC, Riverside

Data Science at UC, SFO

Technology and Info Mgmt at UC, Santa Cruz

Web Design and Engineering at Santa Clara University

Data Science at NorthEastern

I am from Bay area, so NEU may be a bit off.

Future job prospects, life at campus, strength of major - all these are considerations.

1 Like

Does cost differ or matter?

chapman gave 28K provost (2.75 GPA + 12 credits per sem maintain), USF gave 23.5K (with pres schol) so cost will not matter (parents will pay the rest).

Meaning SCU and NEU will be significantly more expensive than the other four?

You may want to compare the curricula for the listed major at each school to see which has courses interest you the most. Also consider the general education requirements at each school.

1 Like

SCU and NEU will be expensive. SCU is also web, for UI.

Chapman curriculum looks interesting Degree: Data Science, B.S. - Chapman University - Acalog ACMS™. All important CS courses except Compiler, OS and digital electronics are covered.

USF seems more Math-y at Program: Data Science Major - University of San Francisco - Acalog ACMS™. Its college preview day clashes with Chapman.

Name recognition wise, are Chapman, USF and UCR more or less at the same level?

TIM at UCSC has a lot of Econ, so probably geared less towards engineering R&D.

1 Like

Your message implies that you favor a more CS-oriented curriculum with a computing R&D career goal. Is that correct? Or something else?

Frankly I am a bit undecided. After taking AP CS, I thought a whole day programming job is not for me. But I could not find something that I really like. Possibly Statistics, Psychology and Math I am OK with. I applied Cog Sci a bunch of UCs with no luck. Possibly the lack of APs in PHY, CHEM and BIO was a reason. The Data Science applications clicked more. In the long run, I may have to choose some amount of programming as the way to a decent pay job. My parents think USF is a good option as it is close by, I am more inclined towards Chapman as I want to get out of the Bay area. I am still waitlisted for UCSB Stats and Data Science, but the chances are slim. And that program is very little DS, mostly Stats. But maybe I’ll like all Stats more than some Stats as in DS.

After visiting Chapman, UCSC and NEU, I am rooting for NEU. Liked the school and Boston area in general. It’s going to be expensive, 5.5 hours of flight, and the cold winters. But parents are willing and I myself feel motivated. Unless the waitlist decisions come in favor after May 1. Even then, Data Science at NEU will be a better academic experience, as I see.

wondering what you ended up deciding? S23 currently admitted to Chapman for Data science and curious where you ended up landing and how you like Data science where you are. Thank you!

1 Like

NEU. Unsure on what to major in at this point. Taking CS courses so far. Along with humanities courses (they call it NUPaths) that must be completed. Too many tech courses stress one out anyway.

1 Like

Thank you so much. Son oddly just received an acceptance to NEU, to the London program (not sure if this is a one year only or what this entails, really) and he was not really considering anything outside of the west coast. Will have him review the courses for Data science Data Science < Northeastern University but do share if you have any thoughts or recommendations on the major. Glad to hear you are taking humanities courses, as this is really important to any college career!

Major is good. Allows for blended majors too, if need to lighten the technical load a bit. Switching to CS is an easily allowed option, if student is able to get the required grades. Half million is monetary damage, including flights and extra accommodations and factoring in a not too heavy course load. It’s the USC of the east coast, with more flexibility on the major choice. Great profs, etc. Competitive. Bad housing.

Really helpful, thank you! Will have to take a look after he figures out what the London part means (all four years? Etc). Glad to know you are having a successful experience!