UC's and Letters of Recommendations?

<p>So me and my dad have been fighting about this for the past few weeks. Since my cousin who went to a UC got letters of recs, he thinks it helps you if the colleges are deciding between two similar canidates. Yet, i have read on the admissions website that they aren’t needed. So my question is do you really need them?</p>

<p>Recommendation letters are absolutely not required.
A-G subjects, SAT, and 2 SAT subjects are required.</p>

<p>Hmmm I’ve been trying to tell him that for the past month. My dad is just so damn stubborn, thanks for the reassurance though.</p>

<p>^ You should send your dad a link to UC’s own website, where it states explicitly that letters of recommendation are not required. </p>

<p>[University</a> of California - Admissions](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/apply/apply_how.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/apply/apply_how.html)</p>

<p>Scroll down to the section on letters of recommendation:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Not only are they not required, they won’t consider them.</p>

<p>The majors that require supplemental application will ask for recommendation letters. Students who received Supplemental Questionnaires (augmented review) may also submit recommendation letters. Aside from those instances, recommendation letters will not be reviewed even if you send them.</p>

<p>The easiest way to convince your father is to ask him to call the admissions office at each UC campus to speak to someone:</p>

<p>Berkeley - (510) 642-3175, Monday-Friday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.</p>

<p>Davis - (530) 752-2971, Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.</p>

<p>Irvine - (949) 824-6703, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.</p>

<p>UCLA - (310) 825-3101, Monday-Friday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.</p>

<p>Merced - (209) 228-4682 or (866) 270-7301 (toll free in California)</p>

<p>Riverside - (951) 827-4531, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.</p>

<p>San Diego - (858) 534-4831, Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.</p>

<p>Santa Barbara - (805) 893-2882, Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 12 noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.</p>

<p>Santa Cruz - (831) 459-2131</p>

<p>The admissions offices will set him straight.</p>